Age does it matter

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Archery_NUT

RE: Age does it matter

Postby Archery_NUT » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:06 am

i to am 17 and i think that this forum has helped my hunting abilities become what they are today. but i know that i still have alot to learn. that is why my ears are open and my mouth is shut.
bad day of hunting beats a good day of school or work anytime

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:26 am

ORIGINAL: dxthunter57

Hey guys im 17
and i have noticed that people think that because im young that i dont know what im talking about
Obviously i am not the best hunter in the world and im only 17 and have an awful lot to learn
but what really gets to me is ive shot 2 big deer since hunting on my own both 8 pointers one with a shotgun and one with a bow
i have shot 3 other deer besides those 2
but i constantly get people who treat me like i dont know what im doing
i have no problem with learning new things from people
but its just there aditude and it makes me feel that i have to defend my hunting abilities
does any one have these problems

FWIW I would not have guessed you were 17....maybe a smart-ass 20 something, but not 17 ;)  All kidding aside...WHO CARES WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK!!!  Thats the best piece of advice I can give you...you are only responsible for you...not for what others think.  Conduct yourself appropriately and so long as you can look in the mirror and be happy with what you see, thats all that matters.  Now I'm 43 and it took me almost that long to figure that out...your 17 and I suspect you've already figured it out.  But as Shamin said, there is always more we can all learn.  Oh and BTW at 17 your 4 kills ahead of me, but I'm loving the experience!

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:30 am

Here is my resume for my opinion.

I was 17 once and am now the father of a 17 year old, 16 year old and a soon to be 15 year old (all sons)

17 is a pretty tough age. Not old enough to do some stuff, but old enough to be held accountable.

I can say you sound more together than I at your age. I would have never had the patience to hunt til now (I started at 37). That (patience) was beat into me over the years by a number of experiences (military at 18, getting married and holding that together for 19 years, raising three sons one with special needs, etc...). I have had both successes and failures (at this stage I am running about 50/50 on those and that is probably a kind estimate). I learned more from screwing up than getting easy victories, was just lucky it didn't cost me dearly when I did mess up.

As for dealing with people in general, youth will more often than not be a negative, especially when an older person is involved and you may have already outdone thier achievements. They may even resent you for it.

Let me be clear, that is not your problem, it's theirs. If their half as wise as they think they are then they should not hold anything you have accomplished against you. However, you have to be mindful of not "over doing it" when you are tooting on your own horn (Frankly, we all toot our own horn from time to time). No one likes a braggard, so just keep in mind when dealing with people. Not saying you are, but you may be being percieved that way, at these other places you mentioned.

Again, you are not causing any harm, so the older ones should recognize talking it up as youthful enthusiasm and treat you in kind fashion.

Forgive an "old fart" his ramblings, but hopefully this will help.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:37 am

ORIGINAL: 8uck5nort

Here is my resume for my opinion.

I was 17 once and am now the father of a 17 year old, 16 year old and a soon to be 15 year old (all sons)

17 is a pretty tough age. Not old enough to do some stuff, but old enough to be held accountable.

I can say you sound more together than I at your age. I would have never had the patience to hunt til now (I started at 37). That (patience) was beat into me over the years by a number of experiences (military at 18, getting married and holding that together for 19 years, raising three sons one with special needs, etc...). I have had both successes and failures (at this stage I am running about 50/50 on those and that is probably a kind estimate). I learned more from screwing up than getting easy victories, was just lucky it didn't cost me dearly when I did mess up.

As for dealing with people in general, youth will more often than not be a negative, especially when an older person is involved and you may have already outdone thier achievements. They may even resent you for it.

Let me be clear, that is not your problem, it's theirs. If their half as wise as they think they are then they should not hold anything you have accomplished against you. However, you have to be mindful of not "over doing it" when you are tooting on your own horn (Frankly, we all toot our own horn from time to time). No one likes a braggard, so just keep in mind when dealing with people. Not saying you are, but you may be being percieved that way, at these other places you mentioned.

Again, you are not causing any harm, so the older ones should recognize talking it up as youthful enthusiasm and treat you in kind fashion.

Forgive an "old fart" his ramblings, but hopefully this will help.

I can't believe I just called myself an "old fart".

Now I'm talking to myself...[:-]
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:58 pm

ORIGINAL: Archery_NUT

i to am 17 and i think that this forum has helped my hunting abilities become what they are today. but i know that i still have alot to learn. that is why my ears are open and my mouth is shut.

Someone taught you VERY well!  Those are wise words.

However, I do think that young folks, or anyone for that matter, SHOULD open their mouths....to ask questions. And keep asking. Never accept anything on face value. If someone can't explain why they believe something, then they really don't know themselves.

The pursuit of knowledge is a lifelong experience, that only ceases when you go belly up.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:00 pm

And it never really ends. Watch how Woods Walker responds to some of my posts. It can take on a kind of fatherly tone. There is a bit of "you little smart-ass" between the lines. But that's a right he has earned because he is senior to me and he DOES know more because of it.

Like in......"Whatever you do, DON'T LIGHT THE MATCH!!!"  [:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:48 pm

DXThunter57- Your thoughts and insights are always welcome here. Discussions can teach you alot, I know Ive changed my mind on things after hearing everybody's thoughts and reasoning.Don't let the other people get to ya, ask questions give your opinions and listen to what others have to say.
By the way where do you hail from? 
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:29 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

And it never really ends. Watch how Woods Walker responds to some of my posts. It can take on a kind of fatherly tone. There is a bit of "you little smart-ass" between the lines. But that's a right he has earned because he is senior to me and he DOES know more because of it.

[size="3"]Like in......"Whatever you do, DON'T LIGHT THE MATCH!!!"  [:D][/size]

Some lessons come harder than others. That must have been a very hard day for you.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:33 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

Some lessons come harder than others. That must have been a very hard day for you.

That's when you really appreciate the value of a good Snow-Cone! [;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:39 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

[quote]And it never really ends. Watch how Woods Walker responds to some of my posts. It can take on a kind of fatherly tone. There is a bit of "you little smart-ass" between the lines. But that's a right he has earned because he is senior to me and he DOES know more because of it.

That's when you really appreciate the value of a good Snow-Cone! [;)]
[/quote]

bawwawawawawawawaw![:D]
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions