late season bowhunting in michigan

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Archery_NUT

late season bowhunting in michigan

Postby Archery_NUT » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:55 pm

what are some possible tactics that i could use to pull the deer out from their midnight hiding spots in the late season?????
oh and we can't bait this year to the so-called dnr revenue raising disease i mean chronic wasting disease[:D]
bad day of hunting beats a good day of school or work anytime

270.tomcat

RE: late season bowhunting in michigan

Postby 270.tomcat » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:28 pm

If anyone has the answer to this one P-L-E-A-S-E do tell, it would be the best Info. us deer nuts need right now !!! Happy hunting...
Deer Hunting is a privlilege, don't abuse it !!!

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:53 pm

FOOD, set up off some good trails going out to some food plots that they might be hitting right before dark, i got a lot of action over looking a corn field tonight, thats all i really focus on in the late season, its when i see the most deer too, i love this time of the year to hunt.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:55 pm

What I have done in the past and it's always paid off is..Find some run ways in a swamp or a thicket. Your gonna have to sit all day, but sooner or later one will pop out during shooting hours.. The other best advice I can give ya is hunt sources of food or even an area that has been a "safe zone" all season. Those 3 ways are great for filling a late season tag.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:31 am

well what you guys can do is usually get 5 or 6 guys and put on a deer drive of the bedding areas

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:22 am

Drives do work for the most part, but be curtious when doing so.... esp if your on public land.
I have had WAY too many hunts completely ruined because of selfish hunters that don't care to examine the ground they are about to trek through. Or just don't give a damn whose hunt they ruin! I understand its later in the year and if you haven't tagged a deer a drive sounds really good, but just try to make sure someone else isn't in the section your about to drive though if you decide to drive. I always hang some sort of orange high up on a tree so its visible to people from the road or from another part of the woods, and esp for people about to do a drive, i really don't know why i do it since it never stops them, i guess im just hoping someone has the will power to move on to another section if they see someone else is in the woods.
One of the most frustrating things to experience is when you have been sitting out there for hours perfectly quiet, waiting and then all within 5 minutes 3-5 people come barging through and not give a damn who is in the woods, completely oblivious to you, esp in this cold weather. I personally will never do a drive unless im POSITIVE no one else is in that part of the woods, and if i participate in a drive and someone comes walking in after were done or during it i will have the decency to tell them what we just did/are doing and leave it up to them if they want to stay in the area.
Just think before you do this, and put yourself in the other hunters position that is quietly waiting for some deer to walk by. It's not fun when this kind of thing happens, trust me.

Archery_NUT

Postby Archery_NUT » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:49 pm

well that is good but i cant really put on a deer drive because i hunt on about 6 or 7 acres of land and the rest of people are to curtious when it comes to hunting. the only chanse i have is to hunt over the food or the acorns that have been falling earlyier in the season. 

Archery_NUT

Postby Archery_NUT » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:51 pm

in addition next year we are going to plant food sources so the dnr cant fine us for baiting

Return to General Discussions