Post season review: Were you up to it?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
JPH

Post season review: Were you up to it?

Postby JPH » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:32 am

(I know this thread is a bit premature as many of you are still hunting hard. But I wanted to raise the question before those who are done for the year wander off.)

If you are like me, you end the season with a mental checklist of items that you need to change/improve next year. Better stand locations, new broadheads, warmer socks, whatever.

So let me ask this. Were you as physically prepared as you wanted to be? Were you able to go as far as you wanted without resting or sweating heavily? Were you able to haul all your gear or drag your deer? Did your hunting partners have to wait on you or carry your load? Did you sustain injury?

IMO, these things matter far more than the type of equipment/clothing/weapon you use. Hunting is an extreemly demanding physical activity and we are often limited by our lack of strength and conditioning. I think it is wise to take stock of how well prepared we were this year.

Then we can work on changing what we need to before next fall!

JPH

RE: Post season review: Were you up to it?

Postby JPH » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:48 am

Obviously this thread is not going to draw a lot of responses. Few people are going to openly post that they are out of shape. But just so that it doesn't turn into a total ghost town (as most of my fitness threads do), I'll post my findings about myself.

1) I over-trained (weights, pull-ups, and wrestling) early in the year, and by June I had developed a nasty case of rotator cuff tendonitis. this left me unable to draw my bow for over three months. I was not able to pick it up until late-Sept. I was dialed in by the time I began bow hunting, but I had not developed the amount of muscle memory needed to make good shots under stress. this resulted in two maginal hits on deer. I recovered both of them but I was ashamed of my lack of accuaracy.

2) I found myself in a low stalk, in a picked corn field late in the season. It was painful to move slowly, in a low crouch for an extended period of time. I failed to maintain adequate core strength during the seaon because i stopped working out as soon as the rut kicked in.

Lessons learned: I need to listen to my body and remember that I do not need to train like I have something to proove. I need to protect my joints. I also need to come up with a quick and easy maintance program that I can do when I am busy hunting every day.

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:48 am

The wealth of youth
i did break a sweat once trying to find a point i had been looking at on a topo map
it turned out to be a good spot but man as soon as i sat there i started to get cold lol

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:50 am

i do think i need to get in better shape tho

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:51 am

ORIGINAL: dxthunter57

The wealth of youth

The problem is, you spend that wealth quickly, no matter how hard you try to save it. [;)]

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:00 am

I used my stationary bike quite a bit more as the season got closer.  I also stepped up my efforts to work out my legs a bit more with weight training. There is a steep hill on my Brother-in-laws farm that always wrecks me when I walk up it. 

Aside from trying to make the hunting season easier, I really should be doing this all the time to lose more weight and get into better shape overall! 

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:09 am

quote:

ORIGINAL: dxthunter57

The wealth of youth

The problem is, you spend that wealth quickly, no matter how hard you try to save it.

hahahahaha
i know thats why im trying to get the most out of it as i can lol

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:00 am

The checklist is surprisingly short:

1)  Build a tower blind to replace the open buddy stand  we erected this year.  Angus is going to be growing bigger, and between his weight and mine, we will outstrip the buddy stands in another couple of years. We need something he and I can share. Moose and I staid in the buddy stands together to the bitter end when he turned 16, but Angus is bigger. I've got lots of scrap wood and a 4 -pack of these: Steel Elevators

2)  Either relegate the Remington 7600 to shorter range or put a new 3-9X scope on it.  There just was not enough magnification  with the 1.5-4.5X for me to pick up that it was a button buck and not a doe.  Normal people don't have this problem, but my eye glass correction is horrendous. Middle Age sucks.

3) Two more sets of Guide Gear Poly-Pro underwear in 2X to share between Moose and myself.  One more set of farmer-johns for Angus. Good, cheap, warm, cheap.

4) Order up a few more nylon duffles with backpack straps so all of us have one.  You stuff your outermost layer into this and carry it on your back.  No sweat. No overheating.  Once you're up in the air, the duffle clips to the shooting rail and becomes a waterproof gear holder.

5) I am done buying snacks at convenient stores. Starting this year, I now buy snacks at the grocery and divvy them up into sandwich bags. This year, I had 10 bags made up with pepperoni slices, individual snack cheese, and pretzel sticks-- cost 1/3 of what it would have at Gas-n-Gag.

Was I up to it?  For a 50+ old fart, yes.  I can still drag a buck out of the ravine by myself, and still lift it into the back of the pickup solo.  I hunted in a little snow and a little rain and sat for 5 hours at a time in the stand-- no problem.  I feel better than I did at 30.

However. . . I am on a new regimen.  I will no longer ride the 90 minutes back from the farm without stopping for at least a 5 minute break. I finally figured out why I was coming home so crippled I couldn't get out of the truck.  Duh!!! All these years, I've been getting up every half hour on the tree stand and stretching-- never dawned on me that I needed to do the same thing in the truck. Middle age sucks.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:16 am

Yes I was up to it.
I workout year round and do cardio once a day. I have however recently stepped it up to twice a day.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:09 am

I hope my OP was not confusing, but it may have been.

The intent was to see where everyone was in terms of physical strength and conditioning this season. Were you up to the physical challenges?

Next

Return to General Discussions