Post season review: Were you up to it?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
69Viking

RE: Post season review: Were you up to it?

Postby 69Viking » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:15 am

Shaman where do you hunt?  I ask because you recommend the fleece underwear from Sportsman Guide so I gather you've tested them in cold weather and proven that they are good for the money?  I purchased some from Cabelas and haven't been overly impressed for the money they charge.  I'm looking to buy a warmer set and these look pretty good.  If you can vouch for them I guess I'll give them a try.    

NCHunter

Postby NCHunter » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:18 am

So let me ask this. Were you as physically prepared as you wanted to be? Were you able to go as far as you wanted without resting or sweating heavily? Were you able to haul all your gear or drag your deer?

I found out that I've been in denial when comes what kind of physical shape I'm in.  At 33, 6'1" and 200 pounds I thought I could handle about any task. I could hardly drag my 100 pound doe 100 yards and up ridge to the 4 wheeler.  I honestly thought I was going to have a heart attack.  I'm embarrassed to say that if not for the 4 wheeler I might not have gotten the deer out of the woods.  It's been about 9 years since I last deer hunted so I guess forgot how hard it could be.  It was a real wake up call. So #1 on my to do list this off season is to get back in shape or cut a 4 wheeler path down the ridge. Image

keystonehunter

Postby keystonehunter » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:24 am

Yes, fortunately, I was.  Getting only 4-6 hours of sleep, on stand for 10 hours, or still hunting, carrying gear, heavy clothes boots, gun, backpack, the works. I owe it to the workout program I've been on for , hell, my entire life it seems.  Not a "health nut" by any means, but a lot of strength training and cardio from high school/college playing days.   Pre-season hiking helped a great deal too. I'm 49 an very thankful for being able to do most of the things I did 25 years ago. 

Serious case of windburn but that was about it. No soreness or injuries, yet!

And you're right JPH, physical conditioning will make or break a hunt.
you never shoot a buck from the couch

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:28 am

NCHunter, that is an awesome post! I admire your honesty. I have no doubt that many are in the same boat.

Anyone who has the courage to admit their weakness, has the courage to change them. Good luck!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:48 am

Surprisingly I was up to it.  I thought I was going to be pretty out of shape, but I handled pretty much everything the deer and nature threw at me.  I would have liked to have had a little more strength when it came to getting the doe I shot loaded up, but it wasn't anything I was not expecting and couldn't deal with.

Up until last January I worked out every weekday morning at the gym - for the last 7 years.  I went on a six month sabbatical January 1st from both work and the gym through the end of June.  When I came back to work it took me awhile to get back to the gym.  Come mid-August I realized I was going to be in trouble come deer season and started working out again, but mostly treadmill/elliptical work.  Just building back up my endurance.  I had started on the lifting again as well, but started getting a pain in my shoulder similar to the one that nearly sidelined me the year prior, so stopped that right away. 

All in all I'm pretty pleased with how well I'm holding up.  I had no problem staying on stand and awake, even with just a little bit of sleep.  No problem walking where I needed to be, or doing the things I needed to do to be successful.  Sweating, well that just comes with the territory for me, I'll always sweat no matter what shape I'm in, so can't change that.  Wouldn't mind losing a few more pounds, and after the first of the year I'll start lifting weights again when I don't have to worry about drawing a bow.

Shoot, I feel pretty darned good about it, all things considered.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:50 am

ORIGINAL: NCHunter

So let me ask this. Were you as physically prepared as you wanted to be? Were you able to go as far as you wanted without resting or sweating heavily? Were you able to haul all your gear or drag your deer?

I found out that I've been in denial when comes what kind of physical shape I'm in.  At 33, 6'1" and 200 pounds I thought I could handle about any task. I could hardly drag my 100 pound doe 100 yards and up ridge to the 4 wheeler.  I honestly thought I was going to have a heart attack.  I'm embarrassed to say that if not for the 4 wheeler I might not have gotten the deer out of the woods.  It's been about 9 years since I last deer hunted so I guess forgot how hard it could be.  It was a real wake up call. So #1 on my to do list this off season is to get back in shape or cut a 4 wheeler path down the ridge. Image

Cutting that 4 wheeler path may well get you in shape.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:22 am

Although hunting open farmland has it's challenges, but accessing my stands is not one of them.

I'm able to drive as close to my spots as I feel comfortable (no closer than 400 yards if possible).  My walk to my stands is pretty flat and easy.

In terms of dragging out deer, my opening day buck was a task.  He died in the middle of an unharvested soybean field and I had to drag him about 300 yards to the truck.

But, alas, I do need to drop a few pounds.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:31 am

I generally pride myself on my fitness and being in the USMC reserves I have little chocie...its either be fit or watch all my 18-25 y/o punk Marines run circles around me, lol.  I had no issues getting to or from my stands or the occasional hoof up a mountain, but where i was noticiably sweating was everytime I used my climber...damn if I did not have sweat dripping from me  by the time I got to the desired height..and I'm betting I may have been busted a few times as a result.  Part of the problem is I have all my layers on when i climb and that does not help.  I also have tendonitis of the elbow so I've had to lay of the weightlifitng, especially the pullups and bi's/tri's exercises...so that has made me weaker.  Hopefully the elbow will heal and that will help...but I'm a natural perspirerer so my plan in that regard is to have stand locations setup and cleared well before the season starts...I'll put pegs in them and I'll be using a tree saddle to hunt out of them...I'm hopeful this will provide me the flexability I need to hunt certain locations and hunt on the fly so to speak.  Good topic JPH, I'd like to see a post on part II of this topic, something along the lines of where Shamin was going with his comments.

RatherBeHuntin24/7

Postby RatherBeHuntin24/7 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:54 am

Well my seasons not over yet, but i can tell you what my main goal is for the off season. Since loggers have gone thru and pretty much destroyed the lease we hunt on, im going to ask permission to take my chain saw out there and move some branches to create alot more funnels and not just pilled limbs everywhere. Those loggers have been a real bummer this year but atleast ill be able to make a positive out of a negative. Dragging those limbs around the woods will make good practice for the next deer I shoot also.

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:00 pm

ORIGINAL: DeanoZ

...I also have tendonitis of the elbow so I've had to lay of the weightlifitng, especially the pullups and bi's/tri's exercises...so that has made me weaker.  Hopefully the elbow will heal and that will help...

I have struggled with tendinitis myself. A lot of it comes as a result of my style of training (no doubt similar to what you do as a Marine). Here are a couple of things that have helped me, beyond the obvious advil, ice and rest:

Try wrist curls for tendinitis of the elbow. It helps to overcome the muscle imbalance created by lots of pull-ups.

Omega 3 fish oils and glucosamine/condrointon (sp?) pills have also really helped my tendons and overall joint health.

Best of luck.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions