Post season review: Were you up to it?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
buckhunter21

RE: Post season review: Were you up to it?

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:00 pm

This year was a little different for us as we had one of our properties selectively logged last November ('07).  So, needless to say all the same travel routes were totally different so it was almost like scouting a whole new property.  I did a lot of that this past spring-summer, and I'm still learning.  This coming winter and spring we'll be doing a lot of wood cutting, making brush piles, and trying to find every new travel route that I can...And then putting stands up so they are ready before green up.

Also, since my parents have a hobby farm where I hunt, there have always been crops up but this is the first year that I've experimented with food plots.  Some performed well, some not so well so I'll be going through that program and see what I need to do to improve for next year, as well as what I want to plant next spring.

As far as looking back at this season, I had one of my better bow seasons as far as deer sightings, but not so much when it came to the gun season.  If you go to the Wisconsin section you can read all about the frustrations we are encountering now...and feel free to put your two cents in if you have any suggestions!  lol  That's a different thread though...So back at this one.  Anyways, it was a pretty good season besides that and I still have a few weeks to go here for late season and I hope to get out for that!

Good luck to all if you are still hunting!

trophyhunter1980

Postby trophyhunter1980 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:45 am

I will swallow my pride and admit that I am out of shape and not close to where I want to be. I did break a sweat a few times out to the stand and did aggrevate an old knee injury that I am a little reluctant to go to the doctor about. It will hurt for a few days and be fine so I have been putting it off. 

I did successfully harvest a doe and buck with little problems, but I do need to get back into better physical health. I am still young at 28, so I have no excuses for not doing so. Does anybody have a workout regime that they can post to give others on here an idea?
www.facebook.com/badappleoutdoors

NRA LIFE MEMBER

WHITETAILS UNLIMITED LIFE MEMBER

NORTH AMERICAN HUNTING CLUB LIFE MEMBER

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:51 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: DeanoZ

...I also have tendonitis of the elbow so I've had to lay of the weightlifitng, especially the pullups and bi's/tri's exercises...so that has made me weaker.  Hopefully the elbow will heal and that will help...

I have struggled with tendinitis myself. A lot of it comes as a result of my style of training (no doubt similar to what you do as a Marine). Here are a couple of things that have helped me, beyond the obvious advil, ice and rest:

Try wrist curls for tendinitis of the elbow. It helps to overcome the muscle imbalance created by lots of pull-ups.

Omega 3 fish oils and glucosamine/condrointon (sp?) pills have also really helped my tendons and overall joint health.

Best of luck.

Thanks Bro...yeah while I was deployed in Iraq I went crazy with the weight training..was lifting crazy weight and really straining my joints.  The elbow tendonitis came as a result of doing BB Rows and the curls did not help.  I had been using Glucosomine and MSM throughout, it helped a little..then had a shot of cortisone, did some RICE, laid off it for 6 weeks and it felt great...went back to the lifting again and it started bothering me again.  So I've laid off the weights since the beginning of October completely...when the season is over I'll start the wrist curls and hopefully be able to ease back into it...thanks for the suggestions though, I'll give the Omega Fish Oil a try!

keystonehunter

Postby keystonehunter » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:52 am

If you can join a local gym, try the following:
3-5 times a week get in the gym for at least one hour. Alternate cardio (step machine, eliptical, stationary bike, swimming, etc) with weight training. If you're new to weight training, get one of the staff members to show you the routine and proper form, etc.
Two weeks prior to the season, perform mostly cardio with a day of weight training. Don't ignore the lower body. Squats, leg curls, etc. That's where your core strength comes from.

If you have no access to a gym try long hikes in the woods supplemented with pull ups, chin ups and push ups.  This works for me and has helped me maintain the energy I need for a long day in the field. Good luck!
you never shoot a buck from the couch

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:26 am

ORIGINAL: trophyhunter1980
Does anybody have a workout regime that they can post to give others on here an idea?

I am a certified trainer and would be happy to help. i was thinking about starting a fitness thread around the first of the year. I've done so before but usually do not get much of a response. The success of this thread has me encouraged.

Feel free to PM me and I'll give you more adivice and ideas than you would ever care for. [;)]

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:13 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: trophyhunter1980
Does anybody have a workout regime that they can post to give others on here an idea?

I am a certified trainer and would be happy to help. i was thinking about starting a fitness thread around the first of the year. I've done so before but usually do not get much of a response. The success of this thread has me encouraged.

Feel free to PM me and I'll give you more adivice and ideas than you would ever care for. [;)]

Awesome JPH, I'm going for my NASM cert as we speak...so now we have more to talk about!

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:19 am

Excellent topic.

I am actually in pretty good shape at 41. 6'3 180lbs.

I work out 3-5 times a week year round, mixing cardio with a low weight medium repetition workout (no longer trying to look like Conan, cause I never have nor will, just trying to keep what I got) with a stretching routine to maintain balance and flexibility.

JPH you recommended shooting the bow after excersizing (for an analogy to buck fever) and I have started to do that. I have a 12 yard lane setup in the basement and it does add another training dimension. I limit myself to just three shots in the morning and three in evening if time permits to keep practice and keep my muscle memory/form in tune.

Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:41 am

Out of shape this year.  I used to hit the gym almost everyday at work until I was promoted 15 months ago.  Now it's a impossibilty during work.  I already told the wife and myself that I have to adjust the schedule to accomodate regular workouts prior to your post.

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:41 am

ORIGINAL: 8uck5nort

JPH you recommended shooting the bow after excersizing (for an analogy to buck fever) and I have started to do that. I have a 12 yard lane setup in the basement and it does add another training dimension. I limit myself to just three shots in the morning and three in evening if time permits to keep practice and keep my muscle memory/form in tune.

Very cool! I need to find a way to shoot in my basement. I have a split foyer house and I don't have any long distances inside so I need to get creative.

Try ripping out 5 burpees, then pick up your bow and shoot. Doesn't seem like much but it will make shooting a lot tougher and sprinkle in some conditioning.

Jawbone

Postby Jawbone » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:02 am

I made it through the season fine.  It seems however every year I stop my exercise program when hunting starts. I usually take 2-3 months off to rest my joints and hunt more.  I have a pretty physical job outdoors which helps but I do slip quite a bit.  I'm gonna do it different this year.

Joe, a fitness thread would be great.  My main hobby the rest of the year is all things fitness.

What are burpees?
Let em Go & Let em Grow !!!! (Jefferson Co. , WI.)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions