Post season review: Were you up to it?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
JPH

RE: Post season review: Were you up to it?

Postby JPH » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:03 pm

ORIGINAL: Goose

My biggest thing health wise is my bad smoking habit. Noticed it a little more this year dragging out deer. Hopefully I find the ability to quit sooner rather than later.

If you have the will to put 120+ hours in the stand, you have the will to quit smoking. Just use it brother!

I need you around because I don't have many friends as it is. [:D]

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:35 pm

My workout consist of chasing my 4 kids around, LOL. all kidding aside I mostly weight lift but latley have been trying to add more cardio by running 2 miles every other day and also using the stairstepper..

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:01 pm

ORIGINAL: schlupis

My workout consist of chasing my 4 kids around, LOL. all kidding aside I mostly weight lift but latley have been trying to add more cardio by running 2 miles every other day and also using the stairstepper..

Cool! I hate running so I try to mix my cardio and strength training into one workout. Short rest periods allow me to weight train while keeping my HR in the red zone. I think too many people look at strength and cardio as mutually exclusive.

My buddy and I did a weight workout before deer season that almost made each of us vomit. 5 rounds, max reps of BW bench press, BW back squats, and pull-ups, performed with minimal rest. I don't have the guts to attempt it again right now, but it was pretty awesome...in a sick kind of way.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:16 pm

I absoultly hate how I feel when combining the 2 during the workout but always feel good about doing it afterwards because it brings me one step closer to my goal...

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:10 pm

At 51, I know I`m way out of shape, and have nearly just resigned myself to that. 6'4", bouncing around between 235/260 pounds, I know I`m not nearly the guy I was when much younger. I used to run 7 miles a day, 5/6 days a week, and ran the mini-marathon in Indianapolis race weekend for several years. Those were the days.

I have gout which flares up from time to time in both ankles, and have a bad left knee, from football I`m gonna guess. But I still manage, for the most part, to get thru deer season fairly well. I`m certainly not going to hit the hard stuff you guys are talking about, but I may consider attempting to just get a 2/3 mile jog in several times a week this spring and see where it takes me. Who knows.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:06 am

Well your right ...I'm not done yet...but I believe I was up to it ....I took a couple of nasty falls and still hunted...even today for a bit...... I hiked the hills in Alfred ...and even though I'm nearing 51 and overwieght I hike and walk several miles a day and do a "mans" day of work....which keeps me in heart healthy shape.....I've averaged 4-5 hours of sleep per night since Oct 18th and still staying on top of chores and hunting....picked up and loaded my one doe on AVT by my self and gutted all my deer my self.....yeppers I paused a few times and breathed heavy as well but with having broken legs ...ankles ...foot...toes and tore out both knees in the past....I'm a happy camper to have hunted another year...  Oh and when the guys were too cold to hit the woods...I was out shooting deer [;)]

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:00 am

ORIGINAL: hunter480
 I`m certainly not going to hit the hard stuff you guys are talking about, but I may consider attempting to just get a 2/3 mile jog in several times a week this spring and see where it takes me. Who knows.

Really great post! It is important to point out that fitness, like hunting, is an individual pursuit. Nobody should compare themselves to others unless they are doing so for inspiration/motivation.

I think there are two fast lanes to fitness failure. One is to give up on yourself before you even get started. The second is to set unrealistic goals that lead to injury or despair.

The only thing I might offer is that if you are troubled by bad knees/ankles, jogging may prove to be too repetitive. I like hills b/c they up the intensity and allow you to get the same results while putting fewer miles on your body. If you have a challenging hill in your neighborhood you could hike up and down it for say 20 min., 3 times a week. Trying to increase the number of assents each time.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:35 pm

I tell you what, this thread is making me want to head for the gym. I used to be a gym freak lifting/cardio 5-6 days a week, somedays morning cardio and afternoon weights.

Then i got married and settle my reckless ways and got out of shape real fast!

Thanks for the inspiration guys.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:41 pm

ORIGINAL: PrairieShadow

I tell you what, this thread is making me want to head for the gym.

That's what its here for!

Just remember the hardest day to workout is not the first day you do it. That's the second hardest. The hardest day is the day after your first workout because you're sore. Get over those two humps and you've got it licked!

Previous

Return to General Discussions