All Over a Deer

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Dan Schmidt

All Over a Deer

Postby Dan Schmidt » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:25 am

I just recently read an email from a friend who told me an interesting (and true) story about two brothers. Apparently, the brothers own neighboring farms. The one practices QDM and strives to hold out for bucks 4-1/2 years old or older. The other is happy to shoot any legal deer. Well, the non-QDM brother recently shot a young buck. His brother was upset because he had passed that deer up this season several times. As you can guess, a riff started and is now to the point where the brothers are not talking to each other and will apparently not share land with each other anymore.

My question today is not what you think of this situation. My question is: Have any of you experienced similar situations (either firsthand or indirectly). I'd be interested in hearing any of your stories where a family relationship or friendship has been strained, "all over a deer."

Best,
Dan

trophyhunter1980

RE: All Over a Deer

Postby trophyhunter1980 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:27 am

Wow, I don't have a story but I guess I thought deer hunting was to bring a closer bond with family, not cause turmoil.
www.facebook.com/badappleoutdoors

NRA LIFE MEMBER

WHITETAILS UNLIMITED LIFE MEMBER

NORTH AMERICAN HUNTING CLUB LIFE MEMBER

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:44 am

The QDM brother had to know that was bound to happen at some point and should have expected it.

It's sad.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:02 am

There was another thread that hinged on this topic.  Bottomline is you can only manage what you can control, and so long as his brother is legally taking deer he really has no right to find fault with his brothers harvesting decisions.  I'm sure he's well intentioned, but I'd have an issue with my neighbor dictating what i can harvest or not.  I'm willing to bet there is more to this story, but your right forgive and forget, its not worth losing family over!

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:07 am

Or friends for that matter!
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:42 am

Hey, through my work I've seen brothers stab one another in a fight over the last of the BBQ. Not speaking because of a deer seems kind of mellow after that. [:D]

In all seriousness, these are signs of a disfunctional family/socoiety that have manafested over deer hunting. People are going to blame various management philosophys or hunting methods for this, but it is much more a problem of the soul.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:30 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

In all seriousness, these are signs of a disfunctional family/socoiety that have manafested over deer hunting. People are going to blame various management philosophys or hunting methods for this, but it is much more a problem of the soul.

Well said JPH,

If they are willing to fight over deer then there were obviously issues long before hand.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:38 am

a deer whether its a 200 inch Pope & Young
or a spike horn
neither should interfeir with you family

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:38 am

My cousin and I were like that.  I wanted to shoot any deer that was legal while he wanted to shoot only 3.5 year old bucks or older.  We would fight all the time about it.  I gave him a chance to prove his point and decided to pass on all immature bucks.  The next year we got alot of nice bucks on our scouting camera and now I'm a believer in QDM.  Our parents say we fight like brothers but we are as close as ever now.  In the end I found my hunter partner for life.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:53 am

Its pretty sad what deer hunting has become when a deer can make two people let alone brothers to stop talking to each other... I guess I am not suprised I know people who will not let friends even hunt on their land because they are seeing good bucks and dont want the other to shoot one of the big bucks... I never got that I am always happy when sombody shoots a deer any deer, and if sombody comes and hunts on my property and shoots a giant buck I would be very happy for them. When the day ever comes that I get so mad at sombody for shooting a deer big or small that I dont want to talk to them, then i guess its time for me to start fishing more...

Next

Return to General Discussions