All Over a Deer

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Spurred

RE: All Over a Deer

Postby Spurred » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:55 am

How about just the problems associated with deer hunting land!?

CHIPPEWA FALLS, Wis. - A 59-year-old Durand man is facing two charges after a hunting incident in October.

Ronald W. Larson was charged Monday in Chippewa County Court with a felony count of substantial battery and misdemeanor disorderly conduct.

His initial court appearance was Tuesday.

If convicted on both counts, Larson could face an $11,000 fine and almost four years in prison.

According to the criminal complaint:

A New Auburn man said he received permission to hunt on a friend's land near Highway Q in Chippewa County on Oct. 25.

When the New Auburn man came out of the woods after hunting, Larson confronted the man. Larson told the man he was trespassing.

Larson asked, "Who gave you written permission?"

Then Larson told the man he was going to take his bow away from him. The man's bow was sitting on the tailgate of his truck. Both men took hold of the bow.

With Larson's other hand, he used his flashlight to hit the victim's head. The victim fell to the ground. The man then got up and left the area in his truck.

When a Chippewa County sheriff's deputy contacted Larson, he said he believed the man was trespassing.

Larson said he was told by authorities previously in another county that he needed proof when alleging that someone was trespassing.

For proof, Larson said he was going to take the man's bow.

He also attempted to make a citizen's arrest.

Larson denied hitting the man with a flashlight. Instead, Larson said the man hit his head on the edge of his own tailgate after trying to punch Larson.

Larson also said the man made contact and punched out one of Larson's teeth. When he showed the deputy his mouth, the deputy noted that Larson's teeth were not in good shape and the missing tooth could have come out previously.

The victim was taken to an area hospital.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:05 am

Like I said earlier its sad what deer hunting has become. I can see if sombody is tresspasing on your land how you would get pissed off but that is what their are sheriffs deputies for call one and let them handle it its a lose lose for both individuals now one goes to jail and the other got his butt kicked. It all could have been avoided.

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:36 am

I can honestly say that hunting brings my family closer and we'd never let that change.
 JPH said it well.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:58 am

both of my brothers have shot deer out of my tree stands. after sitting there for days at a time and not getting a shot, i let them sit there one time, and the shoot deer. happened last year and this year. but its a good time, cant be mad about that. i dont personally know anyone who is in a dispute or who got in a dispute over shooting deer and not shooting deer, but i can imagine that it happens pretty easy with some people.

coach

Postby coach » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:46 am

I beleive its a personal choice.  Myself, I have shot so many deer in my life.
Does, fawns, small bucks and a couple of wall hangers.  For the last 3 years,  I've decided
to past on the little bucks.  If I don't shoot....well who cares.

But a few of the guys I hunt with...haven't shot that many deer.  Maybe 5 or 6 in their life time.
They are just not mentally ready to pass deer up.  I understand how they feel, cause I was once
like them.

Its all about discipline in our head.  But if they shoot a spike or doe....the fact that they have
an experience and a story to tell that brings a smile to their lips....I'm all good with that.
And we....as more discipline hunters...have to understand.

Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

stumpsitter66

Postby stumpsitter66 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:25 am

I have seen rifts surface over the use of hunting land in general. In our area it was common to let the neighbors hunt small game (pheasants and rabbits) in the non deer hunting months. No one ever needed to ask...just go and hunt. This was mostly in December & January after the fall gun deer season. That changed when the neighbors started getting really protective about deer. Not that they thought anyone would poach them, it had more to do with their fears over people running off "their deer", which I always thought was nonsense.

Previous

Return to General Discussions