Farmers of Antlers or Hunters of Backstraps?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Goose

RE: Farmers of Antlers or Hunters of Backstraps?

Postby Goose » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:53 pm

Agreed! Great post 8uck5nort
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:55 pm

I'm going to have to say that I'm a little of both type Hunters and that reason being is that early in the Season I'm letting Doe's walk in the hopes of them luring in a nice size Buck to shoot,if it isn't a decent size Buck I let them walk so they can get bigger for next year,as Deer Season progresses through the week I'm hoping for a nice size Doe so I can tag her and fill the freezer,later in the week if I don't see any Bucks I may shot/tag another Doe and then I can give some of the meat to other members in my family or share it with friends?In several past Deer Season's I have been out hunting and had a nice size Buck come in while following a Doe,I shot the Buck and had the Doe stand there wondering where the shot came from...(I still had an extra anterless tag on me) I let her walk away with the hopes that she was bred by the Buck and will carry on his genetics! 

Years ago we simply went out and hunted for Deer not adding anything to help improve them or the quality of hunting in general,now a days we plant food plots year round to help them grow bigger and better (Bucks and Doe's included) and to help them make it through the Winter in tough times.Personally I feel better planting food plots and improving the habit for Deer, Turkey,Quail and other Wildlife on our Farm and Hunting Lease. 

longcarbine

Postby longcarbine » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:32 pm

Great post!!! Thank all of yall for your opinion on this  Good Job!![;)]

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:51 am

I'm going to have to disagree with parts of your post.

Technology will only take a person so far, they still have to hunt. How much technology a person uses is up to the individual - therefore it really hasn't "robbed" anyone of anything. I use game cameras, but I still get very surprised when a big buck decides to show, whether it's one that's been on a camera or one that hasn't.

Getting ready for deer season can be planting plots, building shooting houses, installing tree stands, and a whole bunch of other stuff. The focus hasn't been lost, it's merely been expanded beyond making hunting consist of a couple of days in the woods every year hoping to shoot something.

For some of us hunting should involve how to grow bigger and healthier deer - being in the woods just a few days or weeks each season isn't enough - we want to do more. That's not bad thing, it's not ranching, it's being an active participant in the environment, conservation efforts, and the sport we all love.
ORIGINAL: ranwin33

ORIGINAL: longcarbine

[font=arial]JPH[/font]

[/align][font=arial]I think it is NOT a bad question.  And by no means am I reducing it down to a collection of antlers or meat.  This is my opinion and I'm sure there will be many that do not agree.  I believe when we hunt, we take what the woods have to offer.  I feel that the dollar and technology has robbed the element of surprise out of hunting for some of yall.  I believe that actual hunting is becoming a lost art and is being replaced with farming for wildlife.  What proof do I have???  Look at the hunting videos, tv shows, etc..  The majority of these shows remind me of reality TV.  It's a joke!! There are game cameras that now send pics of the animal to your PC or phone instantly, once the pic is taken.  See what is passing by your feeder, plot, stand without ever leaving the comforts of home.  It reminds me of a story a couple years ago about somebody killing a deer via computer.  What is the difference between the two, other than a dead animal?  There are new hunters coming into our ranks daily.  And some of them think that getting ready for deerseason is planting plots, building shooting house, and buying corn for feeders.  The focus has been lost.  Yes it is a good question.  I believe there needs to be a gut check.  Hunting should not involve how to grow big bucks via feed, plots, minerals.  Let Mother nature take care of that.  I could go on and on, but I'll restrain.   Think about it.  There is a difference of being a good steward and doing what you can for wildlife and cattle ranching.  [/font]

[/align][font=arial]Yall take care.   [/font]

[/align]

I'm going to have to disagree with parts of your post. 

Technology will only take a person so far, they still have to hunt.  How much technology a person uses is up to the individual - therefore it really hasn't "robbed" anyone of anything.  I use game cameras, but I still get very surprised when a big buck decides to show, whether it's one that's been on a camera or one that hasn't. 

Getting ready for deer season can be planting plots, building shooting houses, installing tree stands, and a whole bunch of other stuff.  The focus hasn't been lost, it's merely been expanded beyond making hunting consist of a couple of days in the woods every year hoping to shoot something. 

For some of us hunting should involve how to grow bigger and healthier deer - being in the woods just a few days or weeks each season isn't enough - we want to do more.  That's not bad thing, it's not ranching, it's being an active participant in the environment, conservation efforts, and the sport we all love.

I feel the same as ranwin33. Yea, maybe some people take it a little too far but I don't think it is any of us here. It's just the guys that make a living shooting deer and filming it that give the illusion that its all too easy.
Nothing that any of us do to improve habitat for wildlife can take away the hunting part. The one exception I have seen is when a guy put up a feeder behind his house so he could shoot a deer from his bedroom window.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:08 am

ORIGINAL: Robert Rowland
...It's just the guys that make a living shooting deer and filming it that give the illusion that its all too easy...

This reminded me of when I was a kid.  I used to watch a TV show called the Sportsman's Friend with a local celebrity; Harold Ensley.  He always did a lot of fishing and caught a lot of fish.  I could never understand why I was not catching as many fish as Harold - he made it look so easy.  Then someone pointed out to me that he was fishing for many hours over many days and what was on TV was just the best parts.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

passin through

Postby passin through » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:56 am

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

ORIGINAL: Robert Rowland
...It's just the guys that make a living shooting deer and filming it that give the illusion that its all too easy...

This reminded me of when I was a kid.  I used to watch a TV show called the Sportsman's Friend with a local celebrity; Harold Ensley.  He always did a lot of fishing and caught a lot of fish.  I could never understand why I was not catching as many fish as Harold - he made it look so easy.  Then someone pointed out to me that he was fishing for many hours over many days and what was on TV was just the best parts.

Good point Ran--- The guys on TV are showmen trying to entertain as much of the viewing public as they can.  They are not superhuman hunters although they make a living doing it.  They do hunt, but for the most part we don't tune in for the hunt (except the last bit of it)  Imagine them trying to show all the hours leading up to the moment of harvest...It'd be the single most boring mini series ever.  When I read your post I tried to imagine a camera crew following me around this year...aside from a tracking trip over to Camp where-the-heckarewe, a fourwheeler flipping or two, and a couple bucks down, my hunting this year wouldn't entertain anybody but me. A documentary on my year would be like one done on the writing of the dictionary[:D]

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:08 am

A whole TV season of a guy sitting a treestand probably wouldn't be a big hit with most of us. [:)]  Matter of fact, at 30 minutes a show you could get a whole televison season from just a single day of hunting. 

Looking at it that way, about television season 20 would have been the time I shot my first deer this year.  Now I know why no one wants to put me on T.V.[&:]
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Previous

Return to General Discussions