Fell Out Of The Stand Today

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
dxthunter57

Fell Out Of The Stand Today

Postby dxthunter57 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:46 pm

Today i was climbing up my stand got to the top
and there was branch that had held my weight for years
it broke and i came falling down from 20 ft
tell you about pain i climbed back up and 45 minutes later a big doe walked by and i decided to shoot her
dragging her out was the worst part

shadow

RE: Fell Out Of The Stand Today

Postby shadow » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:58 pm

Zack........ Its good that your able to sit behind a computer and write your story.
I am glad you got your doe however, you NEED to always wear a harness on your way up and on the climb down.
I am sure you heard it a hundred times, but wear one and be safe. A 20 foot fall could have paralyzed you or even killed you.
Hunt safe, Hunt smart.

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:01 pm

i know it
i guess i was lazy about my safety harness
i learned the hard way
im lucky nuthing more than a concusion happened

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:31 pm

Wait a minute. You fell 20 feet, sustained a head injury, got back up and hunted? If you actually fell 20 feet, even a Hollywood stuntman would have a hard time climbing back up. But no matter how far it was, if you ring your bell the hunt needs to be over. Get to the vehicle, get help, get home and consider getting to a Dr. A concussion is nothing to mess with.

I am so glad you are okay and I appreciate that you have shared this experience with us. It's a good reminder to all.

Congrats on the doe too!

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:37 pm

I hate to say it but if you were my son, 17 or not, your gun would be locked up and you wouldn't be hunting for a while until I was positive you learned your lesson.  My son is 25 and wears his harness in the tree and  his seatbelt in a vehicle whether he's the driver or passenger.  I'm not burying my son. I'm glad you're alright and I hope your father reads this.

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:39 pm

jph
i honestly dont know why i only sustained that type of injury
i layed there for like 5 minutes and was feelin better
i went home and asked my mom why she thought im not in the hospital and she said u had one or two angels lookin down on you to day hunny
thats my only explanation

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:44 pm

Before i say this i dont want anyone giving me crap for it. I know i need to start using one.

I have never used one and until recently i didnt think anyone actually used the darn things.

I've put it on in the house a couple times and then took it with a couple mornings but after fighting with it and getting tangled in the darn thing to the point of nearly falling down trying to get it on i always end up throwing it back in the truck and going hunting.

I need to invest in the HSV, That looks alot easier to use than the ones that come with the stands.

Glad to hear you are ok. Concusions arent any fun. I had one a few years ago that i sustained during a hockey game trying to make the big hit. Puked my guts out for 12hrs from it.

Again, glad to hear you are ok and Congrats on the Doe!
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:48 pm

ORIGINAL: dxthunter57
... she said u had one or two angels lookin down on you to day hunny
thats my only explanation

She's right. But give those angles some time to rest up okay? God sends us angles, but He also sends us safety harnesses and common sense. Please use both from now on. We need you around here!

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:49 pm

Glad you got you are okay and that you got a deer.  As a young person it is sometimes hard to realize just how disastrous some of our mistakes might have been.  For the sake of everyone who loves you, please realize that you have used up your one "get out of jail free" card.  Next time your family's lives might be changed forever.  Only way to prevent that is to never make the mistake again.  You owe it to them.

Congrats again on the doe.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:50 pm

thats the thing with me to
i dont want to be critisized for not wearing it
ya it was stupid i realized that when i was falling
but wear it
 i learned that today the hard way
scary stuff

Next

Return to General Discussions