Fell Out Of The Stand Today

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
dxthunter57

RE: Fell Out Of The Stand Today

Postby dxthunter57 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:52 pm

take this as a reason to wear them guys
it is not a good feeling lol

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:56 pm

ORIGINAL: PrairieShadow

Before i say this i dont want anyone giving me crap for it. I know i need to start using one.

I have never used one and until recently i didnt think anyone actually used the darn things.

I've put it on in the house a couple times and then took it with a couple mornings but after fighting with it and getting tangled in the darn thing to the point of nearly falling down trying to get it on i always end up throwing it back in the truck and going hunting.

I need to invest in the HSV, That looks alot easier to use than the ones that come with the stands.

Glad to hear you are ok. Concusions arent any fun. I had one a few years ago that i sustained during a hockey game trying to make the big hit. Puked my guts out for 12hrs from it.

Again, glad to hear you are ok and Congrats on the Doe!

I can't say that I began to use one for the right reasons. I started wearing one because it allowed me to lean out in the stand to make tricky shots. The same reason I began to wear my mask more often at work. I couldn't hack it in a fire once and I had to give up the nozzle. I was pretty pissed so I started to wear it all the time. That was about 14 years ago. Now I look at my family and I wonder why I ever cut those corners.

I hope you find one that works for you. I mean I bet you never left the wire w/o your K-pot and body armor, right?

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:58 pm

ORIGINAL: dxthunter57

thats the thing with me to
i dont want to be critisized for not wearing it
ya it was stupid i realized that when i was falling
but wear it
i learned that today the hard way
scary stuff

That's why you are the hero for the day. You did something dumb, but you had the guts to admit it. Now we all get to benefit.

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:06 pm

id rather not be the hero like that again lol
to much pain

Ugnasty77

Postby Ugnasty77 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:47 pm

Well first off it is good to hear you are ok and not writing this from a hospital bed while picking out wheel chairs. I have only once gone into a tree stand while not wearing a harness, and i fely like the dumbest piece of crap for doing it. As much as getting a good safety vest might hurt your wallet it is well worth it.

In response to PrairieShadow, i use a HSV and it is very simple to use. You just put it on like a regular vest, then click the 2 clips in the front, and then there are 2 straps that go between ur legs that u clip on like a seat belt and ur set. Then once you get into the tree there is a rope that you put around the tree, then tie off your vest to that rope, and you are harnessed to the tree. This might sound like a lot, but it really isnt, i can put the vest on in less than a minute, and when securing to the tree, that also is like a 30 second job, and well worth it. Luckily i have never fallen out of a tree, but if i do im sure ill be glad i was wearing that HSV.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:50 pm

Not trying to critisize, im very glad nothing more than a concussion happened! but prob not the best thing in the world to be hunting with a concussion, i sustained a concussion playing football a few years back and about 5 mins after the hit i couldnt see a thing and couldnt hold my balance at all, im surprised you were able to stay in the tree without about falling out again, but at least you learned your lesson out of this, i wont go up in a tree without a reliable harness, not worth it when i think about the consequences that could result in a fall. But hopefully you'll recover fast and learn from your experience, safe hunting!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:57 pm

dxthunter.....I'm not critiszing....but do you have a Dr. or nurse in your family?...I didn't see where you went to the Dr's....true concussions are potential time bombs if not treated properly....you could have a slow internal bleed...clots...my gosh you need to be checked out......For Christmas ask for a safety VEST....God Bless ya ...you'll be sore tomorrow [;)]

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:04 pm

Glad to hear you survived the fall and didn't become a vegetable . I have heard some horror stories in the past .
Limbs don't work as steps for ever and give out when you least suspect them to do so .
You definately should have sought some medical attention ...........
Semper Fi !

paulie

Postby paulie » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:19 pm

Like the rest, I'm glad to hear your ok.  Hopefully, "lesson learned"! You probably should get checked out though, just to be safe.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:23 pm

You are on lucky guy.

It took a close call last year and I got the message. I will not get into a stand without without my HSS vest. I was not wearing one up til then cuase the strap kind you get with the stands are a pain in the rear. 70 dollars for a saftey harness sounds like a lot, but a 7,000 or 70,000 dollar doctor and rehab bill puts that into perspective pretty quick. 

Your 17 and that is probably the only reason you bounced back like you did, but here is something to ponder and I think the more seasoned of us will agree. You just wrote a check on your body that in 10-20 years you will have to cash. I have some injuries that I got playing football 20 years ago that are just now are coming back to remind me from time to time.

Congratulations on your doe. Stay safe and hope to hear about your successes next year.

Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions