Do Trail Cameras effect deer movement?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
PrairieShadow

Do Trail Cameras effect deer movement?

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:39 pm

I have debated this for the last 5-7yrs and this year I finally decided to pull my cams early in the year(Aug) as to not spook/deter deer from using the area later on in the season.

I got less pictures and had less anticipation going into the season as i didnt have any pics of the big guys like i usually get.

Did i see more deer hunting? Cant say for sure but i did take a nice buck this year.

I believe that it is the human presence that effects deer. Not the cams themselves.

I cant go more than 2 weeks before the anticipation get the best of me and i have to go check it.

No cam in the woods equals me not their either.

I think next year the cams will be out in full force again as that is part of the hunt to me and getting great pictures of deer is almost as exciting as the hunt for me. I didnt see a big difference in movement, or at least not enough for me to notice.

What are everyones opions on this?
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

dxthunter57

RE: Do Trail Cameras effect deer movement?

Postby dxthunter57 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:44 pm

i do think that if u get a spotting camera with regular flash they can see it
ive had photos taken of deer and than have taken another photo of them 20 yards away looking at the camera
i know they sometimes see the flash
but does it affect there movement i dont know
i think they might think it is lightning

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:54 pm

Prairie Shadow, I think you nailed it.  It isn't the camera, but the person checking it.  If you are like me at all, you can't even go get the mail during the summer without sweating, let alone hike through a muggy woods to pull a camera.

The only advice I can offer is to adjust the time that you check the camera to where the camera is.  For instance, if you have a camera in a bedding area, check it while they are out feeding.  Vice versa if it is in a feeding area.  If it is on a trail leading to/from, check it while they are either bedding or feeding.  It isn't foolproof, but I think it helps some.  And if you can do it right before or during a rain, that's even better.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

AfterShock95

Postby AfterShock95 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:51 pm

I have never noticed any decline in deer movement having my trail cam out I think the deer get used to it. just like they get used to it just like when you put up a blind.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:24 am

I don't think they do.  This year I did shut down a camera on one of our more productive plots because I wasn't seeing the deer I thought I should be.  Shutting down the camera had no effect as far as I could tell, I still wasn't seeing the number of deer we had in the past.  We put a camera up over a plot that had not had one for most of the year, deer still hit the plot hard and didn't appear to be effected by the camera at all.

Can't say if our presence in the woods effect the deer much either.  We spend a lot of time there, and I'm beginning to think given a couple of things that happened this year that they just might be becoming too comfortable with our presence.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:36 am

great responses guys. I have my own views and lack of views on certain items and getting another prespective always helps. Keep em coming
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

VAHunter

Postby VAHunter » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:38 am

I have found that the best time to test theories on deer pattern in relationship to camera flashes is in the summer, when the hunting pressure is off.  I haven't noticed a great deal of difference in the deer's movement, outside of what I would consider normal.

I hang my cameras up in trees, about 6' to 10' off the ground and angled downward.  This was reccommended to me by a friend that has around 25 cameras on his property.  Reason:  He claims that a flash downard is nothing out of the ordinary for wildlife, because it is generally where light comes from.  At night, he compares it to lightning, or flash lightning that is often seen all night long in the summer.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:38 am

I've heard that Cuddeback is coming out with cameras that have scent-lock. They will only charge an extra $50.00 each for them.

That ought to take care of the problem!

I just wonder how the cameras will fair in the dryer though........[;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:13 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

I've heard that Cuddeback is coming out with cameras that have scent-lock. They will only charge an extra $50.00 each for them.

That ought to take care of the problem!

I just wonder how the cameras will fair in the dryer though........[;)]

So long as the carbon doesn't leak out and cover the lens they should be fine. [:)]
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:41 am

Guys I'll be honest, I think scent control in certain situations is over rated.  I've had deer tracks within hours in my boot tracks and 4-wheeler tracks.  I've had a deer just this past weekend walk to within 10 feet of where I had relieved myself less than an hour earlier.  I watched that same deer for about 45 minutes and during that time his biggest concern was sound.  Everytime a squirrel made noise or a branch cracked from another animal he tensed up and his ears went on alert.  I wasn't careful with my scent on purpose that day because I had a deer in the cooler from the previous day so I decided to experiment.  I think if you're semi-careful you'll be fine, especially with cameras.  I do take scent control serious regardless of what I've observed but I don't go overboard. 

Deer are curious animals and I have witnessed that several times.  Just this year I've had the same mature doe and her fawn visiting one of my cameras since October and most of the pics are at night with the flash.  I'm pretty sure the flash to them is just lightning.  LOL!  Since I have a doe already if I get my buck before the season is out I'm really going to test their curiosity with scents for the rest of the season, I love experimenting! 

Next

Return to General Discussions