Your Most Memorable Moment

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
dxthunter57

Your Most Memorable Moment

Postby dxthunter57 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:34 am

Just wanted to hear your most memorable moment deer hunting or hunting in general
Whats yours
State your name where your from and how old

Zack Rhoades age 17 Massachusetts
Mine i would have to say is
opening day New York the day i shot the biggest buck of my life so far (186 pound 8 point 125 inches) but what made the day so memorable is me and my dad looked across the field and the sun was just coming over the hill it was BEAUTIFUL and my dad said to me "Zack remember this".
the feeling of just being alone with my father doing what we loved was the most memorable hunting experience.
i recently told my father about that story and i told him i haven't forgotten yet and he said son that means a lot to hear
Whats yours
State your name where your from and how old

shaman

RE: Your Most Memorable Moment

Postby shaman » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:48 am

That's not an easy question. A whole lot happened the first year I went out that still resonates for me.  Just seeing my first doe/fawn pair on my first trip out was electric.  Bagging the monster last year was plenty exciting, but somewhat muted by the fact that I did not know I had hit a big one until I actually got down and saw him.  I'm 50. I've been deer hunting 26 season now, mostly in the Greater Ohio Valley. For the past 8, I've been on my own 200 acres in SW Bracken County, KY.

My all time most memorable moment occurred in 2003.  I had never been attacked by buck fever before this. I had a brand new-to-me Savage 99 in my hands. It was just becoming light. . .
[url=http://www.blackholecoffeehouse.com/deer.htm]
The Savage Spoke. . .[/url]
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:25 am

Name: Never over the internet
State: Missouri

Most memorable moment: Second year of deer hunting.  I was sitting on the ground in a hedgerow that normally saw a lot of deer activity.  Around 10 a.m. a doe comes running through the cut beanfield in front of me at about 30 yards.  I run out into the field hoping to get a shot at her as she crossed a waterway about 100 yards down the slope from where I was sitting.  I pat myself on the back as I think to dial up my scope to 9X to be sure to get a good shot.  As she slows and I try to get her in my scope I hear this sound behind me like horses running. 

I pull the gun down, turn around and see three bucks come to a stop no more than five yards away from me.  They were like cars putting on their brakes, heads down, rears up, screeching to a stop.  One would have run directly over me. So now I have three bucks staring at me, each split about three yards apart from one another and about five yards away from me - and all I can think is pick the one with the biggest antlers. 

They start slowly walking past me and I pick one out and get my scope on him, as it's now on 9X all I can see is hair.  So I bring the rifle down, dial the scope down, put the scope back up and on the deer, still nothing but hair, he's that close.  So I take my shot.  Boom!  I then watch as all three bucks run off across the field, across the road, and into some timber.  I look for blood, hair, anything.  Can't find a clue that I hit him.  My brother comes over, he can't find anything.  I spend a good hour.  I come back the next day.  Nothing.  I track where the deer went into the woods, still nothing. 

I now tell this story, but rather than missing, the bullet explodes on impact as it hits the deer and doesn't penetrate at all so I didn't really miss. 

Moral of this story: if you see a doe running during the rut, wait for the bucks as they may soon be following.

It is a memory I will never forget and a story I tell often.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:46 am

Name: Chet Magnum (aka Trent Steele)
Location: Iowa/New York/Missouri/Iowa (listed in order of appearance)
Most Memorable Moment:

I can't do it. I simply cannot narrow it down to one, but I'll say this. If I had to erase my hunting memories one by one, the moments where my wife and kids took their first game animals would be the last to go.

-My wife's was a 23 lb. gobbler that I "sort of" called in. I had been calling but we were on the move and she spotted him coming in. I laid on the ground behind her and watched her make the shot as he strutted in!

-My son's was also a big tom. He few in off the roost and put on one of the best dispays I have ever seen. I still remember the way my boy's gun barrel shook as he tried to settle in.

-My daughter's was a fat fox squirrel. She sat between my legs on a hickory hillside on our property. As she took aim, it felt like there was electricity surging from her.

Please don't make me choose just one!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:48 am

Name: Chet Magnum (aka Trent Steele)
Location: Iowa/New York/Missouri/Iowa (listed in order of appearance)

LOL..good one "Chet"

The names "Bond"..James Bond

ok for real  Dean Z, North Jersey...home of the Whack'em and Tag'em hunt (thats for you JPH).  I would have to say this entire season has been memorable for me simply because its the first time I've bowhunted since I was 17, so equipment has changed, tactics have changed..hell the deer have changed!!!  But if I had to pick two moments it would be my first shot at the 8 point...connected, but could not recover...i'll never forget that...and of course my frist kill, a doe about 2 weeks into the bow season!  A close third would be the first time I got busted by the illusive 8 pointer:

$60 Binos so i can spot my pray before it spots me
$50 in Scent Eliminator so they don't smell me
$300 in cammo clothing to "blend" in

....Stupid look on my face when the 8 point struts up behind me to within 10 feet of me and busts me....PRICELESS!!!!!!

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:07 am

Scott, Age: 19

It would have to be my first year hunting with my grandpa.  We were in a earn a buck which means you have to shoot a doe before you could shoot a buck and right at daylight we had a buck come in 10 yards and look at us.  Then 20 minutes later I see a doe and fire 2 shots at her, missing her.  The 3rd shot a took a deep breath and squeezed the shot off and she did a mule kick.  I went to where she was shot and followed the kicked up leaves and find her laying 50 yards away.  I will always remember the look on my grandpa's face knowing that he was proud of me and that I was becoming the deer hunter he was.

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:38 pm

alright so instead of that name thing
state ur age and were your from

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:13 pm

My first would be my first buck while hunting with my father and my uncle.  It was a bitter cold morning and I lasted about 2 hours in my tree before I couldn't feel my toes.  I had seen several does but didn't possess a doe tag.  In the 1970's it took 3-4 hunters on one application and that didn't mean you would be selected.  I got the blood flowing again and decided to sneak a little further up one of the ridges.  I couldn't track because there was no snow even though it was in the single digits plus it was opening day and I didn't want to be pushing deer around that were already moving.  I passed a hunter younger than myself that was sitting on a log with a small fire going.  I kept going up the ridge and crossed a well worn deer trail and stopped to look it over.  I heard a twig snap and saw a buck coming up out of a small ravine.  He stopped at about 55 yards with his vitals exposed between a fork in a tree.  I shot and he bolted and I fired twice more,  I hit him all three times, twice through the chest and once in the hip.  He was a 2 1/2 yr old 6 point.  He should been an 8 but one beam was mushroomed at the end which had to happen while in velvet.  It seemed like everyone from our group showed up and I posed with my father and uncle.  It's only a snapshot but I have it in the same frame with a real nice buck I took in 2003 on the same land.  My father was in failing health but my mother drove him over and he posed with me.  He passed the following September.  I also have many comparible moments with my own son who turned 25 today, along with his twin sister who is all girl and refuses all attempts to be introduced to the hunting/shooting world.  Even my wife likes to shoot.
I'm 48 years old, born and raised in Western New York, the father of twins and have two beagles behind me praying for deer season to end.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:00 pm

Name Schlupis, age 31, State Wisconsin. I dont know if I could narrow it down to one most memorable hunt.. I have had a lot of them. here are two Last year I had my best year as far as kills go. I killed 3 deer I killed my biggest archery buck a 11 pointer on opening day, then a few weeks later I killed a nice plump doe. On opening day of the gun season I killed my biggest all around buck from the ground. He was a 8 point buck that field dressed 215 pounds.

The other is my first year of archery hunting I was 14 and never seen a deer while on stand. Well the first deer that came in was beautiful doe and I was so nervous that when I tried pulling my bow back it felt like I was pulling on a steal pole instead of a bow string. So needless to say I was unable to pull my bow back and she ran off. I thought to myself what the h.e.double hockey sticks is wrong with my bow. I tried again and it pulled back with ease. I think for me that is where the fire was lite because the adrenaline rush of seeing that deer was the most addictive thing in the world for me. I still feel the same way today as I did on my first hunt, except the whole not being able to pull my bow back. LOL

trophyhunter1980

Postby trophyhunter1980 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:12 am

Justin Stump, 28 Indiana- I have alot of exciting hunts, each hunt I think sticks in my mind for a different reason, but this years has to be the most exciting hunt I have every had. I normally set in a stand 16 foot up and this year just was not seeing anything from that stand. I decided to go set on the ground near a trail that looked to have some heavy traffic and I set in a fallen tree about 4 foot off the ground, I had a doe and little 6 pointer come in 30 yards from me and the 6 pointer got about 5 feet from me and was trying to bust me, he finally followed the doe out into our bean field. Of course my heart was racing by this point as I have never been this close to a live deer.  About 15 minutes later a large bodied 8 pointer came up this same trail and out into the bean field. Of course the buck fever hit again, but I was able to make the shot. I will remember this hunt for many years to come.
www.facebook.com/badappleoutdoors

NRA LIFE MEMBER

WHITETAILS UNLIMITED LIFE MEMBER

NORTH AMERICAN HUNTING CLUB LIFE MEMBER

Next

Return to General Discussions