Which Group of hunters give hunters the worst name?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Jawbone

RE: Which Group of hunters give hunters the worst name?

Postby Jawbone » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:50 pm

I agree the guys who coon and coyote hunt seem to get alot of negative attn.  But the question is who gets the most.  The most would have to be deer hunters just by sheer numbers.
Let em Go & Let em Grow !!!! (Jefferson Co. , WI.)

RatherBeHuntin24/7

Postby RatherBeHuntin24/7 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:22 am

By the anti's its by far deer. Id be surprised if half the anti's even knew we hunt turkey, but to shoot such a majestic creature as the deer is an utter catastrophe! [>:]

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:28 am

ORIGINAL: RatherBeHuntin24/7

By the anti's its by far deer. Id be surprised if half the anti's even knew we hunt turkey, but to shoot such a majestic creature as the deer is an utter catastrophe! [>:]

Yup, we're bad for wanting to "murder" Bambi.

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:29 am

ORIGINAL: Patriot

Border battles, cutting down each others treestands, stealing trail cameras, shooting at other hunters (accidental and intentional), landowner disputes, trespassing are just a few that come to mind.

I totally agree

highview72

Postby highview72 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:38 am

We are all hunters and there are bad apples in every bunch but i dont think we need to give anti's any more ammo by talking about it on a public forum. jmo

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:38 am

Man that is a tough question. I am so blessed to live here in the heart of America, where the antis are only something we see on TV or read about. I know they are out there (particuallarly around the universities) but I've never had to deal with them directly.

On the other hand, I have met many landowners who have developed a sour taste re. hunters because of bad behavior. The hunters that they have had problems with run the entire range of those listed above, although I agree that coon/coyote hunters should be on the list.

My answer is going to come from another angle. I think the hunters who give us the worst name are local, rural residents who assume that access to the land around them is a birth right. Those hunters who will go anywhere, and do anything because their daddy used to hunt there. They also seem to regard wildlife as an inexaustable commodity. I have met too many landowners who are tired of that kind of disrespect.

trophyhunter1980

Postby trophyhunter1980 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:55 am

ORIGINAL: shaman

Yep, my vote goes to coon hunters.

I have to agree!
www.facebook.com/badappleoutdoors

NRA LIFE MEMBER

WHITETAILS UNLIMITED LIFE MEMBER

NORTH AMERICAN HUNTING CLUB LIFE MEMBER

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:16 am

I don't know that any particular group of hunters give hunters a bad name, I do think individuals within all the groups mentioned can make that happen.  But that pretty much goes for any group; hunting or non-hunting. 

I think that non-hunters may have more difficulty accepting what deer hunters do - shooting a large animal seems to bother people more than shooting a bird or small animal.  Maybe it's the Bambi thing, I don't know.  But that doesn't equate to giving them a bad name.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

stumpsitter66

Postby stumpsitter66 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:31 am

Now that's a loaded question! All the choices are for specific species, followed by the carte blanche "hound hunters." ?? Guys who use hounds for coons? For rabbits? I know you mean deer but come on. Where I am from coon hunters can't be any worse than the hound-deer hunter from where you are from I am assuming.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:47 am

I would say the hog hunters.

Images of drunken rednecks riding through the woods in the back of trucks blasting anything that moves just give the 99.9% of responsible hunters a bad name.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions