Going back in (the swamp that is)

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
keystonehunter

Going back in (the swamp that is)

Postby keystonehunter » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:50 pm

Friday, I take another chance with the swamp. Red hot bedding area. If you read my previous post last week, that's where I hit a 2" sapling that I didn't see with my .45/70 and missed a nice 8 point.  I was going to use the .280 this time but you can't give up on a good gun. (bad mojo).  So, I'll get settled in ( no tree stand in this location) well before first light and wait.
Any tips on the approach to the stand? The prevailing wind could be into the bedding area but I'm setting up to intercept them on the way in. In other wrods between them and the beds.
It's also a good chance that the 2nd rut will be starting then.
Better yet, the 12th is my birthday so what better way to celebrate than trying to take a swamp deer?

Good luck to everyone!
you never shoot a buck from the couch

ranwin33

RE: Going back in (the swamp that is)

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:28 am

Best of luck to yourself, and watch out for those saplings.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:56 am

Actually, I've been thinking about hunting a swamp location, but would like to know more abut swamp hunting.  When is the best time to hunt a swamp..i've heard when the hunting presure is hihg mature deer will hang out in swamps and bed there..also heard in the winter the deer liek the swamps because the warmer water raises the ambient tempurature in the area of the swamp?  Where is the best location for a stand and what areas unique to swamp should I be looking for that deer are more likely to frequent...better to hunt mornings or afternoons?

keystonehunter

Postby keystonehunter » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:32 am

Well DeanoZ from what I've observed, the ideal is to set up a high treestand that overlooks the swamp. That way you can look down into the edge cover and get a shot without the deer knowing you're there. Wind direction is critical. But the biggest advantage for the hunter is that the deer feel VERY secure in the swamp and don't expect danger from above. Depending on the size of the area, a long range rifle is necessary if your view over the swamp is long. If the swamp has puddles of water, all the better to hear the deer and pinpoint their location.

If the swamp your hunting has dense cover then it is most likely a sanctuary for one or more mature bucks. They can spend the entire season in these areas eluding hunters. The biggest buck I ever saw lived in the swamp and was shot only because he stood up out of his bed during the season to check out another hunter who was dragging a deer on the edge of the swamp about 200 yards away. Fatal mistake. So to sum it up; Get into a stand on the edge of the cover, get in early and intercept the deer on their way in. Be very vigilant when taking a stand looking onto the cover. The deer will show themselves but for a very short time. Make the most of the opportunity.
you never shoot a buck from the couch

Return to General Discussions