Question/Observation For Any Naturalist Types

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
shaman

RE: Question/Observation For Any Naturalist Types

Postby shaman » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:37 am

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

Not quite sure I'd cite Fox News or the Drudge Report as unbiased or reputable sources when it comes to global warming.  If your basing your thinking on those, you might want to get second opinion.

Yeah, but it's a start.  I don't claim to be an expert on this either. 

I have no doubt there is/was Global Warming.  I just don't think it's man made.  I can also remember when they said we were heading towards an Ice Age back when I was in high school and college. 

I'm all for eco-friendly too. However, I also think the current popular culture has it all wrong. Man made CO2 emissions are not the problem.

BTW: I saw a reference to the cooling cycle on the Weather Channel on Sunday.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:16 am

ORIGINAL: shaman
... I can also remember when they said we were heading towards an Ice Age back when I was in high school and college. 

I remember that as well.

But I cannot believe that pumping millions or billions of tons of carbon into the atmosphere doesn't in some way damage things - not necessarily global warming, but something.  Plus everything else we do.  I think the earth only has so much ability to heal itself, and we may well have gone past that point. 

I kind of look at it like using Roundup grass killer in a spray tank.  You can rinse the tank out several times, but even if there is a small amount of residual Roundup left it might do some damage to things next time you use the spray tank for something else.  So even if what we do is small in comparison to what is out there, it still has to have some effect that can't be good.  So whenever possible we ought to try and fix those things that might be causing problems, and places like Fox News and Drudge tend to try and make it seem like we don't need to.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

270.tomcat

Postby 270.tomcat » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:20 am

I live in southern ontario,CANADA & the last 5 yrs or so we've been over run with swans ! We use to see a flock here & there once in a while but now I think there here to stay.There's a creek around the corner from my house (BIG CREEK) & the swans take over in the spring,we've actually watch them chase ducks & geese away !!! Happy hunting.
Deer Hunting is a privlilege, don't abuse it !!!

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:10 pm

I'll get the thread back to topic for just a quick moment.  For the last three years, I have seens numerous flocks of Sandhills migrating south over Central Indiana on the day after Thanksgiving.  Each year, in fact, while I was up on my roof putting up Christmas lights.  They provided a great reason to stop for a second and catch a breath.

Now to the global warming debate.  Not to call anyone out but there is so much politically motivated "data" and "indisputable facts" about global warming that it isn't even funny.  We all need to be very leary about everything we hear about the subject.  In particular, any statement suggesting that we have "definitely done this or that" or "definitely is or isn't responsible for climate change" is pure speculation.  As someone who analyzes data for a living, I can tell you the best scientists in the world can't determine the real answers or causes until well after the fact.  For instance, anyone who can say that they can conclude that global warming has been over since 1998 doesn't understand data analysis.  A period of only 10 years is not enough to determine if the trend is clearly over or just "taking a break".  Another statement. "global warming is definitely not caused by humans" is not provable or disprovable at this point.  Only well after the fact can it be proven by analyzing all of the variables and removing them one by one from the analysis.  If a variable is removed and the data doesn't change, then that variable had no effect.  This can only be done after the fact.

Not trying to fight or call people out, but the global warming issue is so politically motivated, by both sides, and at this point there is so much not known about the issue that most of the "experts" who publicly provide "facts" on global warming know more about next week's winning lottery numbers than they do about climate change.

Thanks friends for letting me vent.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:30 pm

I agree.  What caused the ice age?  They don't know now for sure.  They can speculate but everything going in cycles.  The southern area of Western NY has been covered with snow since Nov 16th which is unusual.  Some areas have recieved 60" so far.  Go figure.  Uncle Ted's on the tube-gotta go.  That's the next topic- who watches the hunting channels 24/7.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:58 pm

The "experts" also said just a few short months ago that, "We'll NEVER see gasoline again under $3.00 per gallon." I just filled up the wife's car tonight for $1.55.............It's all B.S.

Here's the most intelligent take I've ever heard on the global warming scam.This is brilliant......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q3upFx4FcA
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:50 pm

When I was a kid we use to have snows on top of snows that lasted for several months,we use to walk across all the ponds on the local Farms and go ice skating around Nov,Dec and Jan.,now a days your lucky to get snow by or on Christmas day,I wouldn't dare skate on any of the ponds because they never freeze thick enough and no one uses snow tires any more because we hardly get any good lasting snows any more.We have had more and more freezing rain in the Winter time,we have had thunder and lightening through December,Tornado's in the off seasons too...I'd say we have some type of Global Warming/Screwy Weather problem!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:09 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

The "experts" also said just a few short months ago that, "We'll NEVER see gasoline again under $3.00 per gallon." I just filled up the wife's car tonight for $1.55.............It's all B.S.

Here's the most intelligent take I've ever heard on the global warming scam.This is brilliant......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q3upFx4FcA

Gotta love George Carlin. [:)]  He will be missed.

Gas here in Kansas $1.37 today, which means across the state line in Missouri it's probably in the $1.20's.  It will go back up again once the credit markets free up some and there is cash available to speculate on the price of oil.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:17 am

ORIGINAL: GTOHunter

When I was a kid we use to have snows on top of snows that lasted for several months,we use to walk across all the ponds on the local Farms and go ice skating around Nov,Dec and Jan.,now a days your lucky to get snow by or on Christmas day,I wouldn't dare skate on any of the ponds because they never freeze thick enough and no one uses snow tires any more because we hardly get any good lasting snows any more.We have had more and more freezing rain in the Winter time,we have had thunder and lightening through December,Tornado's in the off seasons too...I'd say we have some type of Global Warming/Screwy Weather problem!

I remember this as well - lots of snows, and deep ones when I was a kid.  Now on our farm up on the Iowa border we've only had 3 of the last 7 years with any appreciable snowfall.  Couple of years ago we got none, or at least there wasn't any around when I was visiting.
Aldo Leopold

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:35 am

There's no question that the earth goes through periods of heating and cooling. The question is do we really have anything to do with it? I don't believe we do, or at least not on the scale that popular culture would have us believe.

Greenland is named what it is, because back in the 900's, early Vikings settled the area, and actually had a thriving farming/dairy industry going there. That's how mild the climate was. That lasted about 30 years, and then they had to leave because it got cold again. What caused that? Farting cows?

The earth is a complex, dynamic system, that's been in existance for 4,500,000,000 years, who's scope we are incapable of comphrehending. A few decades, or even a millenia of temperature change is barely a blip on the radar screen.

Methinks we give ourselves way too much credit. [:)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions