Question/Observation For Any Naturalist Types

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
ranwin33

RE: Question/Observation For Any Naturalist Types

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:17 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

There's no question that the earth goes through periods of heating and cooling. The question is do we really have anything to do with it? I don't believe we do, or at least not on the scale that popular culture would have us believe.

Greenland is named what it is, because back in the 900's, early Vikings settled the area, and actually had a thriving farming/dairy industry going there. That's how mild the climate was. That lasted about 30 years, and then they had to leave because it got cold again. What caused that? Farting cows?

The earth is a complex, dynamic system, that's been in existance for 4,500,000,000 years, who's scope we are incapable of comphrehending. A few decades, or even a millenia of temperature change is barely a blip on the radar screen.

Methinks we give ourselves way too much credit. [:)]

I had heard that the Vikings used the terms Greenland and Iceland as deceptions, so that their enemies would attempt to find Greenland which was less hospitable and not Iceland which was more hospitable.

Not sure about farting cows, but belching smoke stacks and tail pipes - well I think they might be a problem.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Previous

Return to General Discussions