Who Here Studies Plants To Improve Their Deer Hunting?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
shaman

RE: Who Here Studies Plants To Improve Their Deer Hunting?

Postby shaman » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:10 am

Around our parts, all you have to do is take a plow to a patch and break the stranglehold of the fescue. The natural forbs immediately sprout and the resulting plot becomes prime bedding/feeding.

I've been doing that, letting the patch lay for about 5 years and then rotovating that patch and planting wheat/clover.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

keystonehunter

Postby keystonehunter » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:54 am

Great point WW. I hunt an area that was originally mature timber and held very few deer. After an F-4 tornadoe came through, the entire woods changed to regeneration and early growth. The deer population exploded! Then after about 10 years, things returned to normal. But the real benefit was the areas that became inpenetrable for mere humans and a magnet for mature bucks.
you never shoot a buck from the couch

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:55 am

ORIGINAL: shaman

Around our parts, all you have to do is take a plow to a patch and break the stranglehold of the fescue. The natural forbs immediately sprout and the resulting plot becomes prime bedding/feeding.

I've been doing that, letting the patch lay for about 5 years and then rotovating that patch and planting wheat/clover.

A tractor, plow and disk are on my dream list. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:05 am

Me =

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

many consider a chainsaw to be the most important tool for those trying to create habitat for deer.

Previous

Return to General Discussions