Gear and gadgets

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sailfish

Gear and gadgets

Postby Sailfish » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:24 am

The end of year thread go me to thinking about everyones thoughts on any new gear or gadgets they'd like to employ next year (or not use anymore).

I think I will no longer go with the rage mechanical's.

I would also (and this is just for me, for fun, not for actively using while hunting (I'd of course have to check legalities)) like to get one of those night vision monoculars (I saw one marked down to around $400). My last hunt I had a 1.25 mile hike in and out and I sure would have loved to see all the wildlife I heard crashing around me.

What about you? 
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

ranwin33

RE: Gear and gadgets

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:49 am

I've often thought about the night vision stuff myself - but just can't justify spending the $$$ for something I would not use all that often.

I'd be surprised if we didn't end up with a Kolpin Dirtworks system or the one made by Arctic Cat sometime this year.  When I think of what I could do with a disk and tractor I get weak in the knees, so hoping this might be the next best thing.

I'd really love to get a broadband internet connection and hook up some of those remote cameras around the place so I could visit the farm anytime I wanted from my computer at home or work.  But that will have to wait for a few more years since I don't think the camera technology is good enough yet.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

JPH

RE: Gear and gadgets

Postby JPH » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:17 am

Carbon arrows and the Rage-2 were both great additions to my arsenal. They will stay.

I borrowed a climbing stand from a buddy to see if I wanted to buy one. It is still wrapped around the base of the first tree I used it in. Moving it is not as easy as it looks. I prefer hang on stands and will not be buying a climber.

If I win the lottery before next deer seaon, i will spend most of it buying up lage tracts of Madision Co. Iowa and Harrison Co. Missouri. With what is left, I will buy a Matthews DXT, TC Encore ML, and a range finder.

Return to General Discussions