The second Rut...

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
manitoulin_hunter

The second Rut...

Postby manitoulin_hunter » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:42 pm

When does the second rut typically take place? From what I understand it is 'around' the third week after the peak of the rut in your area?

Any thoughts as to the accuracy of this prediction?

dmcianfa

RE: The second Rut...

Postby dmcianfa » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:48 pm

I don't know about the third week prediction, but I follow the moon phases and if you go by that the does that never came in or didn't get bred the first time around should follow 2 days after the last full moon of the year, which would put that around Dec. 14th or so this year.  That is what my family and I have observed over the course of years we've been hunting during our typical muzzleloading season in the north.
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:27 am

If we're looking at estrous cycles then it would be four weeks after the first.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:57 am

Exactly what ranwin33 said...does will come into their second extrus cycle 28 days following the first...so right around 12-14 dec sounds about right for the second cycle as dmcianfa mentioned too.

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:08 am

28 days after the end of their respective cycle if they're not bred.  Peak first rut in New York was predicted this year between Nov.17 and the 27.  Each individual doe is slightly different as to the exact date, so all things being equal, this should place the second rut in NY between Dec 14-25.  Merry Christmas.

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:26 am

in mass here last year i had oen buck tag left
and i was seeing alot of deer
it was around december 28th
and i saw deer but there antlers already fell and they were still chasing does

Return to General Discussions