just a quick question

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Archery_NUT

just a quick question

Postby Archery_NUT » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:51 am

is anyone else out ther getting skunked so far this season.
i just cant seem to catch a break and i wish that i could at least get one cause that would be great to put meat on the table.[:D]
bad day of hunting beats a good day of school or work anytime

JPH

RE: just a quick question

Postby JPH » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:06 am

I can't say that I have been skunked this season, but I can say that I've been there before. We all love to say how hunting is not about killing (and it is not) but it sure stinks to go without meat.

I wish there was something I could say to break the spell for you, but there isn't. You just have to hang in there. The whole season can turn on a dime. You must not get down! You've got to stay after it until the very last.

Does anyone else hear "Eye of the Tiger" playing in their head?

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:43 am

I'm ready to climb the steps in Philly JPH, lol!!!!  Archery Nut, while I have not been completely skunked I did bag a doe early in the season, but have been after the illusive 8 pointer...missed 3 good opportunities, but I climb that stand almost every morning at 0 dark thirty, and will continue to do so until I bag him or the season ends...right now I am plum worn out, but I'm just happy to be out in the woods again :)  Hang in there brother, believe it and you will receive!

shadow

Postby shadow » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:16 am

Hang in there!!
I also have been there. Just need to put in your time, you'll get one.
Most seasons are not over yet, you need to be out there right now, not on the computer. Best of luck.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:33 pm

It has been a pretty tough year and the Deer just aren't moving like they usually have been in the past. [&:] When things slow down like they have been I set up my trail camera's and see whats still around this time of the year after Rifle and Muzzle Loader Season,then I go out and hunt close to our food plots/food sources or hope for some snow to make the hunt more interesting!I just about drawed my Bow on a nice BIG Fox Squirrel the other evening but I scratched the notion after thoughts of loosing and expensive arrow and broadhead in the thick leaves!Maybe I will pack a few field tip arrows with me next time and stick a few of those pesky squirrels? [:D] [;)] 

ScootD

Postby ScootD » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:41 pm

I'm right there along with you Archery_Nut. I have yet to get a deer, but at least I am in the woods and have seen a couple and even missed a doe at about 30 yrds with my bow. So don't feel alone.

RatherBeHuntin24/7

Postby RatherBeHuntin24/7 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:44 pm

haha ive had that urge way too many times gto. Racoons, squirrels, and even doves if they get too close [:D]. I havnt let an arrow fly at anything but a deer this year but last year i stuck a broadhead in a tree in hopes of bringin home some coon meat. Im thinkin like you in that i need to stock up on some cheap arrows and field tips!

shaman

Postby shaman » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:29 am

Skunked?  No.  We filled all our tags.  However, I have friends that are still 0-0-0. Most of them are bow hunters.

The factors I see in our area that might be contributing to it:

1)  We got cicadas earlier in the year.  Normally they don't affect anything, but this year it was just the start of misery concerning acorns.
2)  Hurricane Ike came through and knocked down acorns early.
3)  There has been drought two years in a row.  This years was better, but it was still dry.
4)  EHD (blue tongue)  grabbed a lot of deer on both sides of the Ohio River in 2007. Some areas close to us were hit really hard. We seemed to be spared.

The lack of acorns kept the deer away from a lot of our stands in the oak groves. We started seeing them in open fields a lot earlier.

Tag soup sucks, but don't give up.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:10 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

I can't say that I have been skunked this season, but I can say that I've been there before. We all love to say how hunting is not about killing (and it is not) but it sure stinks to go without meat.

I wish there was something I could say to break the spell for you, but there isn't. You just have to hang in there. The whole season can turn on a dime. You must not get down! You've got to stay after it until the very last.

Does anyone else hear "Eye of the Tiger" playing in their head?

that i think is one of the best thing about bow/deer hunting. you can go from the lowest of low to the higest of high in a second! i have killed deer and turkey in the last half hour of the last day many times, but i would'nt have if i hadnt been there. stay with it, sometimes your the windshield sometimes your the bug.but never ever give up.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Southern Man

Postby Southern Man » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:48 am

We have seen more quality deer this year than anytime before. Breeding was late this year and the bucks were on the move big time. We all killed out fairly early....hang in there.
We can't continue to do the same things over and over and expect different results

Next

Return to General Discussions