just a quick question

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
trophyhunter1980

RE: just a quick question

Postby trophyhunter1980 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:30 am

I was not skunked, but it was getting late in shotgun season and I thought I was going to be, I decided that the deer where not coming to me, so I was going to have to change my tactics and look for them. First night in a new location and I shot the largest Buck I have ever taken. Hang in there. I have been in your position before, It sucks but you just have to make the most of it and be glad you can be setting out there enjoying nature.
www.facebook.com/badappleoutdoors

NRA LIFE MEMBER

WHITETAILS UNLIMITED LIFE MEMBER

NORTH AMERICAN HUNTING CLUB LIFE MEMBER

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:11 am

Did okay so far.  I've taken two, my nephew one, my brother none.  He missed two shots this past weekend at end of muzzleloader season.  Eight point buck and a doe - said both at about 40 yards.  Missed them over open sights - I tell him to practice more, but he never does.  I'll be back up to try and take a couple more does over the Christmas holiday break.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Archery_NUT

Postby Archery_NUT » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:15 am

thanks for the advice guys and i have been out there as much as possible and i missed my chance at a doe in bow season earlyier in the season. i am still kicking myself for that one. i thought that it was to small and wasnt going to waste my tag on it but then a button buck walked up next to it and it definately was a shooter but it blew and that was the end of that. other than that i have had no other oppurtunities yet.

but like i said a bad day hunting beats a good day at work or school any day!!!!!!!
bad day of hunting beats a good day of school or work anytime

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:43 am

Skunked? No, I got a doe during rifle.
However I haven't gotten (or even seen) diddly during archery hunts [:@]
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:38 am

For the 5th year in a row I can say I'm not getting skunked!  Alabama gun season opened Nov. 22 and I finally shot a nice doe the past Friday morning.  Now I'm after the elusive bucks that have been visiting our property during the night hours!  Hopefully the rut will kick in soon and bring them out during the daytime!

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:57 am

Not skunked, but have had a season where my lows and highs have happened on the same day each time. I consider this season a success.

September, second Saturday of the season. AM - Decent buck comes through. I choke and shot high. Buck fever. Same day PM - Take down a nice doe from the same stand I blew the shot on the buck.

November, second Saturday of month. AM - Late start so I am on the ground during first light walking to my stand. Employing Wood Walkers "stalkers walk". Figured make the best of a not so good situation. I spot a buck. Again choke, rushed shot that sailed over his back. buck fever again. Same day later that morning. - Went and got my climber and set up on the trail I blew my earlier shot. Downed my biggest doe yet with my first passthrough shot on a deer. To date my most "comfortable" shot on a deer. Now if I can just keep that going when and if a buck rolls through next time.

Have hunted every weekend at least one day since Sept 20th. Only two days have made my season so far. I've read two novels so far. Look to finish my third.

So hang in there.

Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

thule

Postby thule » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:17 pm

Same luck here in MA. I've been up in that tree stand for 2 weeks straight and nothing seems to be moving. Does anyone know if the Rut is over now? I can't get in until 10:00am but I stay till it gets dark and yet nothing. I'm sitting on 3 tags, would love to put some meat on the table considering I have lost my job!

shadow

Postby shadow » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:11 pm

thule, was that 2 straight weeks in the same tree without seeing anything??  You really need to change stand locations if thats the case, you may have better "luck."
Down here in Ct., I see them feeding mostly I would believe the rut to be over.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:08 am

ORIGINAL: thule

Same luck here in MA. I've been up in that tree stand for 2 weeks straight and nothing seems to be moving. Does anyone know if the Rut is over now? I can't get in until 10:00am but I stay till it gets dark and yet nothing. I'm sitting on 3 tags, would love to put some meat on the table considering I have lost my job!

Agree with Shadow, if you've been going two weeks straight there is a good chance you've overhunted that area and I would suggest you find another stand location.  The first rut is practically over in the northeast and does come into the secondd estrous cycle next week...so somewhere between the 11-13 December you should see the second rut kick in.  However, don't expect it to be as instense as the first.

Previous

Return to General Discussions