How to not get frustrated

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
auman

How to not get frustrated

Postby auman » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:16 pm

It seems the more I hunt, the less I see.  Being in 'bama the rut is still a couple of weeks away.  It should be heating up shortly.  I just have it in the back of my mind:  " Here we go, another wasted season."  Don't give me all that got to be positive crap.  I've tried it before and it doesn't work.  Gonna have to try some off the wall tactics I guess.

What have you done when all else seems to have failed?

gunther89

RE: How to not get frustrated

Postby gunther89 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:22 pm

I either look at pictures I have gotten off my trail camera and know that there are big bucks around or go check my camera and see that there are still deer around.

paulie

Postby paulie » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:33 pm

Ya know Auman, if your spending time in the woods, and your experiencing nature, and all of its beauty, then I would hardly say your having a "wasted season"!! I know what your sayin. I gotta tell ya though, some of my most memerable hunts, were days when I when I never even took a shot!!  As much as I want to put a deer on the ground (and then in my freezer), I really enjoy just being out in Gods beautiful creation, and taking it all in! But, thats me, I know thats not what you wanted to hear, but maybe, it's something you should think about (or not). Either way, good luck to ya man, hang in there, if you put your time in, you will reap the rewards! "persistence pays"!! 

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:36 pm

That's why it's called "hunting" and not "shooting".....unless you're Jackie Bushman.....[:D]

Seriously, when it happens to me...and it does...it doesn't bother me anymore, because I KNOW the deer are there, and it's just a matter of time. This, and the fact that at the point I'm at in my hunting years, I truly consider just being able to spend a day in the woods undisturbed to be a "success" in every sense of the word even if I don't see or shoot a deer.

It sure as hell beats the alternatives.........
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:46 pm

ORIGINAL: auman
Don't give me all that got to be positive crap.  I've tried it before and it doesn't work. 

...well...I guess since that's off limits...I've got nothin. Maybe some of that C'mereDeer crap?

I think I'd better edit in a few of these: [:)][;)][8D][:D] Just for safe measure.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:49 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

Don't give me all that got to be positive crap.  I've tried it before and it doesn't work. 

...well...I guess since that's off limits...I've got nothin. Maybe some of that C'mereDeer crap?

I think I'd better edit in a few of these: [:)][;)][8D][:D] Just for safe measure.

...or become Jackie Bushman's understudy! [:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:52 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

ORIGINAL: JPH

[size="3"]...or become Jackie Bushman's understudy! [:D][/size]

Didn't you hear? I already am Jackie Bushman's understudy because I occasionally hunt for bucks. 

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:54 pm

[:D]

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:21 pm

I'm not all that positive when I'm out there and nothing is happening and sometimes, when I feel like quitting, I remember the saying, "One moment can change an entire season."  I dont always get that moment, but it happens often enough to keep me believing.  Sounds cliche, but it's true.

You could also look at it mathmatically.  If you are hunting in an area where you know (from scouting, or trail camera pics or spotting) deer live, and you are quiet enough, and can sit reasonably still, it is only a matter of time until you see deer.  It may be a LOT of time, but it will happen.

Sorry if this came off too positive.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:41 am

It seems the more I hunt, the less I see.  Being in 'bama the rut is still a couple of weeks away.  It should be heating up shortly.  I just have it in the back of my mind:  " Here we go, another wasted season."  Don't give me all that got to be positive crap.  I've tried it before and it doesn't work.  Gonna have to try some off the wall tactics I guess.

What have you done when all else seems to have failed?

Don't worry about the silly positive stuff. Don't worry about the negative stuff.  It's all just stuff.  The shaman is here to tell you that you need to find a middle road of not caring one way or the other.  If you want to go out and hunt, go out and hunt. Otherwise, the couch, the six-pack, and the football games await thee. 

There have been many seasons where caring about what I bagged really got in the way.  In the end, I found that if I concentrated only on the moment and enjoyed the whole process, could I get myself out of bed at 0300 and be on my stand at 0500 and sit out the morning in the cold. There are times when the only thing keeping me from hanging it up was the thought of what it would be like if I had stayed home. There were times when I was so embroiled in that inner struggle that I missed a nice deer coming in.

Some seasons, it is victory enough just to come out of the woods for the last time and know you stayed on your game. I started hunting before the herds really grew. There was always very little chance of me actually tagging a deer.  My neighbor, 70, just sold his rifles after bypass surgery. He went 10 years at the beginning without getting a deer, and most of those years he did not even see one. That was back in the Sixties.  I started about 15 years after him.  I went several years where I saw deer nearly every time I went out, but not one close enough to shoot. And there were times when just seeing a buck during season was enough.    We kept going, because we found something in the act of just being afield.

This is a tempering process. There will be many blows. However, in the end you will learn how to stay sharp without having a brittle ego getting in the way. Just go out and enjoy the woods. The rest will come.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Next

Return to General Discussions