How to not get frustrated

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Woods Walker

RE: How to not get frustrated

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:16 am

Very well stated shaman.  Good job!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Southern Man

Postby Southern Man » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:41 am

Yea well stated Shaman.......Dude, if you want to hunt, hunt, if not stay at home. Read, Apply, Watch, and Learn. It will come when you relax.....
We can't continue to do the same things over and over and expect different results

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:56 am

ORIGINAL: auman

It seems the more I hunt, the less I see.  Being in 'bama the rut is still a couple of weeks away.  It should be heating up shortly.  I just have it in the back of my mind:  " Here we go, another wasted season."  Don't give me all that got to be positive crap.  I've tried it before and it doesn't work.  Gonna have to try some off the wall tactics I guess.

What have you done when all else seems to have failed?

If what you are doing isn't working - then try something different.  That's always been my philosophy.  If I'm not seeing deer while I'm sitting in a treestand, then I'll move to the ground or a blind, or I'll hunt different times of day.  Changing things up when things look bad never hurts.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:54 am

Sounds like you've been putting a lot of time in...if its been in the same general vicinity perhaps the deer are now aware of your presence and its time to give that spot a rest and set up some new stand locations.  I know I'm not seeing as many in my faovirte spots and I'm sure it has a lot to do with the increased pressure and overhunting my favorite spot.  So I gave it a rest and tried a new spot this morning...saw a turkey fly by me and thats it...not exactly what I was hoping for and I know you don't want to hear this but it really is about the experience for me.  And trust me as of late I've become obsessed with dropping a nice 8 pointer...thats when I know its time to take a breather and be thankful for the opportunity to just sit and hunt.  Hang in there, your time is coming...and so will mine ;)

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:18 am

exactly i love to get the atlas out and just drive to a new place and scout/hunt you just might find a jem
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Bigbuckdown

Postby Bigbuckdown » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:52 am

When I know good deer are in the area.  I get out a typo map, find feeding areas, edges and thick cover.  Get in a stand earlier.  Find remote sites and let other hunters bump deer towards me where the woods have settled.  Make sure that my clothes I thought was clean and scent free arn't covered in gas and exhuast fumes  from being stashed in the garage, you would be suprised how many deer bust hunters before they even see them because of not being mindfull of their scent.  Hunt often, Hunt Hard......Reduce expectations Have fun..

Archery_NUT

Postby Archery_NUT » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:20 am

that is what i am saying woods walker that is what i tell my cousin all the time and he just says whatever

that why it is called hunting and not shooting

that pretty much sums up my season this year
bad day of hunting beats a good day of school or work anytime

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:31 am

ORIGINAL: JOEL

exactly i love to get the atlas out and just drive to a new place and scout/hunt you just might find a jem

Joel your so right....I mentioned this in another post but I honestly get off more on finding and scouting a new spot..especially when you discover good sign there...then the anticipation of hunting the new stand...its a new location, different terrain, shooting lanes, scenarios...and definately a new opportunity to bag that buck!!

auman

Postby auman » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:48 pm

Thanks for being so positive y'all.  :-) 

I'm going to change tactics.  My cam is only picking up nocturnal activity.  Gonna do a flyover and drop a dirty bomb.  Hope that works.

Previous

Return to General Discussions