How many in your lifetime?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
JPH

RE: How many in your lifetime?

Postby JPH » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:12 pm

ORIGINAL: NYSupersportsman
 Cool post JPH how many do u have by the way? I can only imagine!! lol

I'm 37 and have only missed participating in one season since 1986. I "only" killed 2 deer in my first 7 seasons. After that I started bow hunting and began to think about it more than just one weekend a year. I began to fill more tags after that, but I've had my ups and downs. I kill more deer now b/c of the QDM focus on doe hunting. In the old days I would pass on does and sometimes shoot yearling bucks.

6 shotgun
7 rifle
14 muzzleloader
16 bow

I think it is important to say that it is not about numbers. I only ask the question because I'd like to know what other hunters experience has been.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:19 pm

I just took my 18th deer this year
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:27 pm

14 deer to this point, hoping to add at least number 15 this muzzleloader season.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:39 pm

55 total, the majority of which are gun kills.

I've passed on half again as many that I had "dead to rights" that I passed on for one reason or another.

Truth be told, I had to think about this one for a bit, as when you reach a certain point, you stop counting, because the number isn't really all that important.

Each deer I shoot/hunt means more to me than a body count. In fact, what I remember more than the kill is the hunt itself and what I felt at the time.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:43 pm

Been hunting deer for 7 seasons, have taken 11 so far, but hope to add another doe before the year ends, and large buck the last part of this bow season. 

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:48 pm

This is my 34th season. There have been a few years that I was skunked, but as many or more with multiple kills. I really cannot put an exact number on it.

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:46 pm

Been gun hunting 16 years and bow hunting 15( my birthdays in Nov. so I couldnt bow hunt my first year) Image

20 deer total

9 by bow (2 bucks, 7 does) the 2 that got away-1 shoulder blade, and 1 leg hit

rifle-11 (4 bucks 6 does, 1 nubby) none that were wounded

shotgun-0,  first time hunting shotgun last year mis judged yardage on a 140 class and hit him in leg(another hunter confirmed it) never found him searched throughout the winter and spring, still makes me sick.

Ive passed up a lot of bucks, I'm 27 and started passing up bucks when I was 19 or 20. I think that was too early but I don't regret it. I enjoy taking does with the bow and will keep meat in the freezer that way. It doesn't really bother me when I eat my buck tag because I'm already planning out the next year. Image I'm sincerely happy for people with whatever they shoot because everyones trophies are different and I do respect that.

Patriot i am like you with keeping track of everything. I enjoy looking back at it and reminiscing.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Jawbone

Postby Jawbone » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:31 am

I'm with Woodswalker, I quit keeping count years ago.  I've been deer hunting 20 years and picked 51-60 because I'm not sure.  More with bow than gun though.  I started passing on deer maybe 5 years ago now.  I have 4 on the wall and some in my garage. 

Although it would have been nice to keep track.
Let em Go & Let em Grow !!!! (Jefferson Co. , WI.)

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:18 am

I have photos of every deer I have ever taken, with one exception. It was a yearling doe that I took many years ago on a shotgun drive. The guys I was with were too impatient to wait for a photo. They were all about tossing her into a truck and moving to the next draw. I really regret not standing up to them.

I have a narrative account of every deer and turkey hunt I have been on since 2001. It may seem kooky to some to be so obsessed with the details of my hunting, but this is a huge part of my life and I don't want to forget a single moment.

Funny thing, I have a harder time recalling some of my more recent kills that I do my early ones. That bothers me b/c it means that I am growing numb to it in some ways. So I work hard to keep the memories fresh.

I think some feel that keeping a tally is akin to greed or obsession with numbers. To me, it dishonors the animal to forget a single one of them.   

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:36 am

One more random point about my numbers (as if anyone cares). Of the 43 deer I have killed over 22 seasons, 22 of them have been killed in the last 4 years.

Why? Well I began using QDM in on my Missouri property in 2003, then I spread that philosophy to another property in Iowa in 2005. So when you consider that I have been taking does liberally in two states for 4 seasons, 22 deer does not seem like that many.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions