How many in your lifetime?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
ranwin33

RE: How many in your lifetime?

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:39 am

Pictures and a narrative are a great idea - I tend to do the same.  I look at is a part of the record of who I am, and it is in some ways my way of letting grandchildren who may never have the opportunity to know me personally find out a little bit about who there grandpa was.

Every year I try to write a story about our deer camp during gun season - maybe someday when I have a few more I'll compile them all and see if anyone would want to publish them.

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:40 am

And I thought my three deer year was a good one. [:)]

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:46 am

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

They're all good ones, brother!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:59 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

They're all good ones, brother!

True enough.
Aldo Leopold

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:25 am

JPH
Funny thing, I have a harder time recalling some of my more recent kills that I do my early ones. That bothers me b/c it means that I am growing numb to it in some ways. So I work hard to keep the memories fresh.

Seriously, why do you think I do the ghille suit thing, and on the ground?  The same type of thing started happening to me.

I'm not saying that's what you should do also...to each his own...but if it continues to get "stale", then you may need to do something to increase the adrenalin.

I guess that's the price we pay for becoming proficient at what we do.....

You know, this angle can easily be an entire thread all on it's own.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

hilltop

Postby hilltop » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:35 am

Been hunting the whitetail for about 20 years. Taken at least 2 per year probably closer to 3. I also have not kept a record. I'll say 75% bow kills.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:42 am

I'm saying in the 41 to 50 range.....so far this year I've taken 2 and a mercy kill...I have taken as many as 6 in a season and average 3 so in 29yrs of hunting I'm in the ball bark....

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:33 pm

In 5 years of hunting I have shot 5 deer. 2 bucks and 3 antlerless.

2 with a bow and 3 with a gun.

I also write down every hunt I go on and have a seperate place where I write down every deer I harvest. It's good info to have to look back at. Additionally, I take pictures of every deer I harvest and put them in the trophy picture book.
Kyle

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:46 pm

I try to jot a few sentences down in my journal after every hunt.  If I kill a deer, I make the time to take pics (before gutting out if possible).  Every minute of this so called "hassle" is well worth the memories captured.  I especially like the pics of me with my son (almost 8 years old now).  They will be treasured for a lifetime.

I have all my photos on a board in my garage.  I sometimes just stand and stare at it for minutes on end and think back about the memories.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:58 pm

Patriot, thats scary! Ive got a bulletin board in my garage right next to our door thats loaded with pictures of friends and families "trophies". In fact this year was so good to us my wife and I decided we gotta get a bigger board. I'm a smoker unfortunately, so when I go outside to have a cigarette Ill sit and stare at that board for a long time just loving and soaking up the memories. Its a great thing that I enjoy and everybody that comes into our house can see what we are passionate about!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions