Just a question ??

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Paul T.

Just a question ??

Postby Paul T. » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:19 pm

This year I tried a new butcher for my deer.  I took a larger doe that weight 155 lbs.  yes it was scale weight not just a guess.  I shot her for our food outreach program at our church and asked him to grind all the meat for burger.  Nothing added just straight venison.  What would you folks think I should get back weight wise?
Thanks for your input in advance.
Paul T.
Michigans Thumb!!!

ranwin33

RE: Just a question ??

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:53 pm

I am guessing the 155 was prior to being field dressed so I'd say 60-70 pounds.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

deerhunter713

Postby deerhunter713 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:09 pm

40 to 50% of the weight assuming that weight is field dressed.  If not field dressed, less than 40%.
NRA Life Member

The Second Amendment should have been the First Amendment, because without the Second Amendment, there would be no other rights.

Paul T.

Postby Paul T. » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:36 am

The weight was field dressed and done on a scale and not just a guess based on girth of the chest.  I got back 32 lbs. of meat and the loins.  I looked into some web sites stating that you should take the field dress weight and multiply by .70 to get your usable boneless meat coming out to around 70 lbs. 
My asking here was to get some kind of common thread or common agreement amoung you folks to see if I was taken advantage of.
Michigans Thumb!!!

buckfawn

Postby buckfawn » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:01 am

ORIGINAL: Paul T.

My asking here was to get some kind of common thread or common agreement amoung you folks to see if I was taken advantage of.

Ya. By the scale.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:50 pm

A 155 pound field dressed doe??

I think you need to get the scale checked.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

paulie

Postby paulie » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:20 pm

you guys make it sound like a 180# doe is a "mythical creature"! I shot a doe last year that dressed out at 128#, yes she was big, but I've seen bigger, much bigger! I hate to break it to ya but, deer that big do exist!

passin through

Postby passin through » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:50 pm

Yah, I think you got took.  I always figured 60% of live weight as offal, which should have left you 62 pounds (figuring 155lbs as live weight)  we don't field dress so I don't know the % return on that.  I got 65.5 lbs of sausage tenders and hams back from a 135lb live weight deer this year... (given a certain%add in mix of pork on the sausage)  you still should have gotten more back.  Friend of mine tried this a few years ago...he had killed two deer weighing within 5 lbs of each other live wieght on consecutive days...(which was luck)he carried each to different processors as he had a suspicion about one guy... dumped the frozen meat from each processor into a Army duffle bag and weighed them on the same scale he weighed the animals to begin with...one was 25lbs lite.  Several factors could have influenced this but it was later discovered the lite processor was dropping the ribs untouched and he had a cutter selling meat on the side.  

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:02 pm

ORIGINAL: passin through
...we don't field dress...

Why don't you southern guys field dress? I've never understood that. Don't you get spoilage? And what do you do with the guts once you dump them out at camp?

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:23 pm

Up here in Wisconsin, you get quite a look from the butcher if you dont gut your deer! I'm not sure they really care, but I've actually never gone to drop my deer off and seen a deer not gutted, its just what we do up here too. Ive actually shot a deer with blood still on my hands because as I was gutting a deer in the woods, more deer ran by (this used to happen alot, but just during gun season back in the glory days when we actually saw deer). It's interesting how just a change in location brings about a different style to the hunt, such as gutting vs not gutting you animals.

Next

Return to General Discussions