Just a question ??

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
dmcianfa

RE: Just a question ??

Postby dmcianfa » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:12 am

ORIGINAL: hunter480

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

ORIGINAL: Squirrelhawker
After almost 2 decades in the animal business one tenent rings true everytime without fail: There are 3 words you never,ever use-- "Always." "Definitely". And, "never"  This is because the instant you use one of those words, creation will make a liar and an idiot out of you in short order.

Exactly.

I dunno, I`m gonna go out on a limb and state that a 250 pound 1.5 year old is never gonna happen......

I'll second that
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:14 am

ORIGINAL: dmcianfa

ORIGINAL: hunter480

[quote]ORIGINAL: Squirrelhawker
After almost 2 decades in the animal business one tenent rings true everytime without fail: There are 3 words you never,ever use-- "Always." "Definitely". And, "never"  This is because the instant you use one of those words, creation will make a liar and an idiot out of you in short order.

Exactly.

I dunno, I`m gonna go out on a limb and state that a 250 pound 1.5 year old is never gonna happen......

I'll second that
[/quote]
Never say never.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:39 am

Anyone ever hear of a 7'3 tall eighth grader. No way you say. Check out this. I've never seen one, but it does not mean they don't exist.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/09/washington_13yearold_already_7.html

They exist. No one can dispute that so why not an occasional deer that is out of proportion to the norm. We have eliminated most of the natural predators so it is highly likely that one with some sort of genetic quirk can and do exist and survive.

The more I think about it the more I tend think the nay sayers are just flat out not thinking this through. I think they are clinging to a narrow mindset that does not encompass the big picture outside their personal experiences. JMO.

Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:54 am

I refuse to accept that kid is an 8th grader unless I get a good look at his jawbone!

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:01 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

I refuse to accept that kid is an 8th grader unless I get a good look at his jawbone!

LOL[:D]
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:09 am

There are probably less intrusive ways to age an 8th grader, what they might be though, I don't know.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:41 am

I had cousins that were big.  One was 5 foot entering Kindergarten, but 7'3" is too much. My cousins grew up in Brecksville, Ohio. We don't have kids like that down here though. That 7-footer must have been raised on one of those special ranches-- one of them high-fence nurseries.

What do you think the yield on that boy would be?  I'd say less than 35%.  I'd not want it either-- too tough and stringy.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:18 pm

There are probably less intrusive ways to age an 8th grader, what they might be though, I don't know.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:21 pm

After I field dressed my Doe I shot this November,(Yes,we usually field dress our deers out in the woods here in Missouri) I removed the hide,lower legs and head then she weighed in at around 75 lbs.I got about 35 lbs of meat back from the Proccessor which was 21 lbs of be-boned meat mixedin with sausage that I had made into deer bologna and the remaining 14 lbs was the loins and 1 rear 1/4 cut into steaks.The Doe I shot was well over 100 lbs and 2 other Hunters on our Lease shot bigger Doe's that weighed in over 125 to 150 lbs field dressed.Over the years of hunting I've seen several large Doe's that were heavier/larger than most of the Bucks that were harvested,a lot depends on the Deers age and how well the food crop is in that area.I know of guys that have shot Bucks that weighed over 200 lbs field dressed because there was plenty of Farm Crops in that area of our County.

Oh yeah,and about 5 years ago I took a 145 lb (field dressed) Buck into one of our local Meat Proccessors and all I got back was a grocery bag and a beer flat of meat back from them....I never took another Deer to them again!

Paul T.

Postby Paul T. » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:25 pm

I may have taken the "Ya. Scale" "Better get a new one comment a little to heart.   I am not one to exagerate but, I tend to error on the side of modesty.  Sorry If I opened old wounds but ,  I just wanted to confirm the fact the butcher might have taken advantage of me and my food outreach program when I am paying him to get the lic. for the use of the wild meat for the food outreach.  I butcher all my deer taken in gun season but in the early bow season it is usually to warm for me to get it done soon enough. 
Thank you again to those who gave a honest opioion.
Michigans Thumb!!!

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions