Just a question ??

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
GTOHunter

RE: Just a question ??

Postby GTOHunter » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:34 pm

Paul T.,here in Missouri they have the same thing that Your talking about only it is called "Share the Harvest".I think when you donate a Deer to a Proccessor they either charge a lot less or they proccess the deer for free?

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:59 pm

ORIGINAL: PrairieShadow

ORIGINAL: Squirrelhawker

The only thing more facinating about this site other than than the wealth of info is the bickering.

As to doe of unusual size, I would have to vote for it everytime and I'll tell you why. Not only am I in the woods all the time but my job is working with wildlife.

After almost 2 decades in the animal business one tenent rings true everytime without fail: There are 3 words you never,ever use-- "Always." "Definitely". And, "never"  This is because the instant you use one of those words, creation will make a liar and an idiot out of you in short order.

And even though I have lived a long time, seen many strange things, in reality when the rubber meets the road my own empiricle experience amounts to jack diddly squat. For instance, I know(and perhaps many of you too) that grey squirrels in addition to consuming mast, seeds and agricultural crops, will also prey on birds and bird nests anytime they get a chance. Now I chase squirrels 6 months out of the year with one of their major predators- the red tail hawk. Yet I have never witnessed the bird predation behavior that the grey squirrel is known to exhibit. Ever.

One can spend lifetimes in the woods and never see what another has witnessed. To make a statement like "doe never get this big" or "deer never do this" is not smart, doesn't make any sense, and wouldn't ever be a reasonable thing for a woodsman to say. Do I think we're all crawling with 180lb doe? No I don't think so. But do I think it is more than possible for the female of species to get that big throughout much of its range? Heck yeah! What would wonder me more is if it was older than 1.5 yrs, how the heck it lived that long to get that big. And as to age, even most biologists will tell you that conventional tooth wear models are rough estimates at best for determining age.

Lot's of us are really sure we know enough to make absolute statements. The only thing I am sure of is that there is a lot I don't know. But I'm willing to be taught.

Good post SH,

What is your occupation if i can ask?

Sure.

I'm a licensed veterinary technician, wildlife rehabilitator, and falconer. I run a wildlife rehabilitation clinic attached to a large humane society outside of Buffalo, NY. We are a law enforcement agency/animal shelter. We are not an animal rights org, but rather enforce animal cruelty laws and a host of other programs, my dept being just one of them. We admit roughly 3000 wild animals per year of over 150 species of mammals, birds and reptiles.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:05 pm

ORIGINAL: hunter480

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

After almost 2 decades in the animal business one tenent rings true everytime without fail: There are 3 words you never,ever use-- "Always." "Definitely". And, "never"  This is because the instant you use one of those words, creation will make a liar and an idiot out of you in short order.

Exactly.

I dunno, I`m gonna go out on a limb and state that a 250 pound 1.5 year old is never gonna happen......

'scool. Whatever.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:37 am

ORIGINAL: GTOHunter

After I field dressed my Doe I shot this November,(Yes,we usually field dress our deers out in the woods here in Missouri) I removed the hide,lower legs and head then she weighed in at around 75 lbs.I got about 35 lbs of meat back from the Proccessor which was 21 lbs of be-boned meat mixedin with sausage that I had made into deer bologna and the remaining 14 lbs was the loins and 1 rear 1/4 cut into steaks.The Doe I shot was well over 100 lbs and 2 other Hunters on our Lease shot bigger Doe's that weighed in over 125 to 150 lbs field dressed.Over the years of hunting I've seen several large Doe's that were heavier/larger than most of the Bucks that were harvested,a lot depends on the Deers age and how well the food crop is in that area.I know of guys that have shot Bucks that weighed over 200 lbs field dressed because there was plenty of Farm Crops in that area of our County.

Oh yeah,and about 5 years ago I took a 145 lb (field dressed) Buck into one of our local Meat Proccessors and all I got back was a grocery bag and a beer flat of meat back from them....I never took another Deer to them again!

Deer bologna. I've never heard of that, but it does sound good.
41 years old and I love plain bologna and cheese sandwhiches. [:)]
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:41 am

ORIGINAL: PrairieShadow

The only thing more facinating about this site other than than the wealth of info is the bickering.

As to doe of unusual size, I would have to vote for it everytime and I'll tell you why. Not only am I in the woods all the time but my job is working with wildlife.

And even though I have lived a long time, seen many strange things, in reality when the rubber meets the road my own empiricle experience amounts to jack diddly squat. For instance, I know(and perhaps many of you too) that grey squirrels in addition to consuming mast, seeds and agricultural crops, will also prey on birds and bird nests anytime they get a chance. Now I chase squirrels 6 months out of the year with one of their major predators- the red tail hawk. Yet I have never witnessed the bird predation behavior that the grey squirrel is known to exhibit. Ever.

One can spend lifetimes in the woods and never see what another has witnessed. To make a statement like "doe never get this big" or "deer never do this" is not smart, doesn't make any sense, and wouldn't ever be a reasonable thing for a woodsman to say. Do I think we're all crawling with 180lb doe? No I don't think so. But do I think it is more than possible for the female of species to get that big throughout much of its range? Heck yeah! What would wonder me more is if it was older than 1.5 yrs, how the heck it lived that long to get that big. And as to age, even most biologists will tell you that conventional tooth wear models are rough estimates at best for determining age.

Lot's of us are really sure we know enough to make absolute statements. The only thing I am sure of is that there is a lot I don't know. But I'm willing to be taught.

Good post SH,

Sure.

I'm a licensed veterinary technician, wildlife rehabilitator, and falconer. I run a wildlife rehabilitation clinic attached to a large humane society outside of Buffalo, NY. We are a law enforcement agency/animal shelter. We are not an animal rights org, but rather enforce animal cruelty laws and a host of other programs, my dept being just one of them. We admit roughly 3000 wild animals per year of over 150 species of mammals, birds and reptiles.

Nice! Sounds like a very rewarding career!
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:52 am

ORIGINAL: GTOHunter

Paul T.,here in Missouri they have the same thing that Your talking about only it is called "Share the Harvest".I think when you donate a Deer to a Proccessor they either charge a lot less or they proccess the deer for free?

Our processor will do the first 150 deer at $25, after that it's the regular rate of $75 a deer.  I think they get some type of stipend from Missouri to help offset the cost on the first 150 deer. 

Either way, we give a few deer a year to Share the Harvest - whatever it cost me I can take as a charitable donation.  This year we're trying to shoot a few more for Share the Harvest given I've read that donations to food pantries are down this year.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:52 am

8uck5nort.....the local Meat Processor (Oberle's) in St. Genevive County makes an awesome cooked bologna/sausage that is wrapped in encasing,it is about the diameter of silver dollar piece or a Hi-Ho cracker.They make it out of Deer Meat and about 1/3 hog sausage or you can get it made from Beef and Sausage that is called Oberle Dog! Mmmmmm Good. [;)]

Ranwin33...it is nice that Missouri does the "Share the Harvest" and thanks to You guys that donate your extra Deer for that cause!When I dropped my 1 Doe off at the Proccessor a guy pulled in and dropped off 3 Doe's and a 1 Big Buck and donated all of them. 

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:05 am

Iowa's program is called Help Us Stop Hunger (H.U.S.H.) Every deer tag has an extra buck or two added on to it, which goes directly to this program. Therefore when you choose to donate a deer, it is at no additional cost to you! The deer has to be whole, and you cannot keep any part (except cape & antlers). The processor grinds all of it and it goes to the state for distribution. You also fill out a card at the processor that goes to the state and they draw for prizes after the season. It is a top notch program! 

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:24 am

Good post SH,

Sure.

[/quote]

[/quote]

yeah, not gettin rich or anything but it's interesting work[:D]

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:18 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

Iowa's program is called Help Us Stop Hunger (H.U.S.H.) Every deer tag has an extra buck or two added on to it, which goes directly to this program. Therefore when you choose to donate a deer, it is at no additional cost to you! The deer has to be whole, and you cannot keep any part (except cape & antlers). The processor grinds all of it and it goes to the state for distribution. You also fill out a card at the processor that goes to the state and they draw for prizes after the season. It is a top notch program! 

Sounds like a great program.  You're saying that you can donate deer and not pay a dime?  I wouldn't mind paying a couple extra dollars for tags to make that happen. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions