Close...but no cigar. (this weekends hunt with my daughter)

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Eight_Oak_Acres

Close...but no cigar. (this weekends hunt with my daughter)

Postby Eight_Oak_Acres » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:41 am

Well...I hunted with my daughter Ellie this weekend...desperately trying to help her harvest her first deer. We rushed out after school thurs. and fri. to get an hour of hunting in...and saw deer...but nothing remotely in range. Saturday morning we saw nothing...and then some friends helped put a drive on for her...nothing.

So Saturday night I thought if the river was frozen enough, we would walk across it, and hunt this double ladder stand covering a creek crossing. I went first...and made it about 3/4 of the way across the river when it gave up under my enornous weight. So I rushed back home and switched out of my wet clothes, and we went to the old faithful "killing tree" by my house. We were in stand about 45 minutes when I saw a deer walking through the neighbors timber. it was a nice buck. He stopped about 20yds. from the edge and stood there for a good 20 minutes not moving a muscle. I finally figured out what he was looking at when I saw three does in my backyard to the east of us. The does starting walkin our direction when I noticed a big buck was following them. They got within 35-40 yds...but were facing us, so no shot opportunity. Ellie got to see him hit a scrape, and then him and the three does started headin north of us down the other side of a hedge row. Well, this was all the big buck in the timber needed to see. he came trotting out after them down a path in front of us about 50 yds. I stopped him...and Ellie missed. She was a wreck. she was shakin' prettry bad...and was pretty worked up. (I have to say I was too...lol) She had rushed the shot and pulled it (she didn't squeeze it off). Although as time goes on, she really wishes she could do it over...she wasn't that disappointed at the time. she was so excited...and enjoyed the experience, and that rush of adrenaline...it made sitting out in the cold and wind worth every hour of agony. That would have been a great first deer...that is for sure.

...The deer she shot at is one I have been after for a couple of months...I have a picture of him standing by a ladder stand in my backyard.

She still has bow tags (if the weather ever get warmer) and she can go out during the late season antlerless hunt...so there is still hope for this season. But whatever happens...she has had an incredible encounter...and experience...and I am so glad I was able to share that with her.
-Eric

shaman

RE: Close...but no cigar. (this weekends hunt with my daughter)

Postby shaman » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:01 am

I was honestly surprised to find out it was not a storybook success for my #2 son when he started deer hunting. He had everything going for him. It has been 6 seasons since he first held a rifle in the stand, and he still has no big buck to show for it.  It took him until his third season before he got one.  However, we've done this thing together, we've cut no corners, and he's a now a good strong 16 yr old with lots of experience and lots of stories.

On the other hand, I can tell you of father/child  combinations that have paid for a big hunt, gone out  and bagged a whopper their first time out and the kid walks away wondering what all the big fuss was about. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

trophyhunter1980

Postby trophyhunter1980 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:24 am

That's a nice buck. Even though the outcome was not what either of you wanted, she will remember that hunt for the rest of her life.
www.facebook.com/badappleoutdoors

NRA LIFE MEMBER

WHITETAILS UNLIMITED LIFE MEMBER

NORTH AMERICAN HUNTING CLUB LIFE MEMBER

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:28 am

Father and daughter hunting together in a treestand - you're both already winners.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Return to General Discussions