Wounded Deer Attacks Hunter Who Shot Him

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
shaman

Wounded Deer Attacks Hunter Who Shot Him

Postby shaman » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:07 am

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/dec/02/wounded-deer-attacks-hunter-who-shot-him/

SEDALIA, Mo. - A Sedalia hunter bagged a big buck on the second day of firearms season, but the kill caused him a lot of pain.
Forty-nine-year-old Randy Goodman said he thought two well-placed shots with his .270-caliber rifle had killed the buck on Nov. 19. Goodman said the deer looked dead to him, but seconds later the nine-point, 240-pound animal came to life.
The buck rose up, knocked Goodman down and attacked him with his antlers in what the veteran hunter called "15 seconds of hell." The deer ran a short distance and went down, and died after Goodman fired two more shots.
Soon Goodman started feeling dizzy and noticed his vest was soaked in blood.
So he reached his truck and drove to a hospital, where he received seven staples in his scalp and was treated for a slight concussion and bruises.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

dmcianfa

RE: Wounded Deer Attacks Hunter Who Shot Him

Postby dmcianfa » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:35 am

I always poke them in the eye and belly both with an arrow tip or my barrel.  Just to be sure.  My grandpa had a doe attack him when he tried assumed the gutting position and frankly, I never want to be in that kind of situation!
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:18 am

That's what you call a bad day at the office.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

trophyhunter1980

Postby trophyhunter1980 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:53 am

Gotta make sure they are dead before getting to close. Whitetails are strong animals.
www.facebook.com/badappleoutdoors

NRA LIFE MEMBER

WHITETAILS UNLIMITED LIFE MEMBER

NORTH AMERICAN HUNTING CLUB LIFE MEMBER

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:42 am

How many of us would continue to hunt if we had to fight the deer after we shot them?[:D]

FlDeerman

Postby FlDeerman » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:47 pm

danesdad, would make for an interesting hunt.[:D][:D]

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:32 pm

If it was legal, i would jump out of my tree stand on top of deer to fight and kill them. well, i probably would chicken out last minute, but I like to tell myself i would if i had to.

i would definitely not want to fight bucks, just too much added danger with the antlers. i wouldnt mind small does, but even big does i would equally not want to have to hand-to-hoof fight. Deer can take a bullet to the gut and still run several hundred yards and live for many hours. i'm pretty sure a shotgun to the gut would just put me down. they're pretty tough.

Ugnasty77

Postby Ugnasty77 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:25 pm

yea, my neighbor was telling me that once he had shot a doe, and she ran 150 yards. The amazing part was that when he shot her, he made a perfect shot and completely blew up the heart and she still went 150 yards. The ability of a whitetail never fails to amaze me.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:27 am

Well I feel for the guy...been there done that...but the buck was running away from hunters and jumped a tall hedgerow....that I happen to be still hunting on the other side....long short he landed on me and we got tangled up.... rolled in snow and kicking each other....no antlers involved ...thank God ...but he managed to literally kick the p--- out of me....Mr. B helped me to camp and I slept for 3 days...bruised head to toe....I hadn't shot a deer in several years way back then....and since then shoot several a year....not so bambi like after that [;)]

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:02 am

The short of it for me:  if their legs are still underneath them, be very careful. 

That last button buck I nailed this season is an example.  I shot him. He dropped to the ground with his legs still underneath him. After a moment, something happened and the legs came out. He rolled to the side. He twitched. He died.  If you watch a bunch of deer go down, most of them will have that last stiffening of the legs that sends them over.  For a lot of the ones I've not actually seen, I've been close enough to hear them go down; there is a pause, and then one last rustle of the leaves. This may only be true of boiler room shots.  Head, neck and gut may be entirely different.

On the other hand, I have twice over the  years come upon deer that had crumpled up dead, but their legs were still underneath them.  They weren't dead, and both tried to get up and run. I had to put in a finishing shot. In both cases the first shots were mortal, but somehow the lightbulb had not gone out.

Although not a guarantee, I will say that it is the position of the legs that seems to be the best key for me.  No matter what, I am extremely careful.   I approach from the back and behind-- opposite the legs. There is a round jacked in the chamber. It is on safe. My finger is off the trigger, but close by. I go in and touch the muzzle to the eye and wait.  If anything moves my first move is right back the way I came to set up for the finish.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Next

Return to General Discussions