Can't Live without it?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Big Buck Daddy

Can't Live without it?

Postby Big Buck Daddy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:54 am

I've always wanted to try this on a forum.  It's usually a fun conversation!

List 2 of the most important items you MUST HAVE in your pack (or pocket) when going out to hunt.  For everyone's enjoyment, include a short reason why you have it.

DON'T LIST things like your license, gun, or ammo.  That's too easy!

It's fun and sometimes educational to hear what other guys carry with them.

Thanks for participating!!

Good luck and good hunting!!
You can do anything you want, but you'll eventually have to answer to THE MAN for it!

ranwin33

RE: Can't Live without it?

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:46 am

Apples - Gives me something to munch on and also helps if I'm thirsty.  I also like to think the deer might smell the apple I'm eating and come to investigate (has never happened).  Helps to kill the time, as they can take a while to eat so I may stay longer on stand.

Camera - Even if I don't see deer I like to take pictures of the surroundings, squirrels, birds, etc. so it gives me something else to do.  Plus if I shoot a deer, I don't have to run back to the barn and get a camera.  It also allows me take pictures and film deer I don't shoot.  Always nice to go back to the barn and show my brother the one I let walk.

Grunt tube would be my number 1, but I'm counting that as too easy.

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:25 am

Cell Phone-- Keeps me intertained playing tetris and for safe keeping incase I get hurt or lost.

GPS: I like to have one to view the land while hunting, I can check all sorts of stuff on mine. I really enjoy using it while hunting and it also keeps me going while hunting a long ways from the road or while bored in the stand.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:38 am

What GPS do you use?  I've been thinking about geting one, but would prefer one I can download satellite images to.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Paul T.

Postby Paul T. » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:09 pm

Knife, can't gut a deer if you don't have one.
Binoculars, helps to see them in weeds and brush.
Michigans Thumb!!!

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:12 pm

Two necessary evils. Cell phone and pee bottle.

Side note. I have a kit that always I keep in my truck while hunting. It includes knives, colored tissue paper, flashlight, camera and tripod. You see I lack the discipline to stay put after a shot. So after the moment of truth, I take a slow quiet walk back to my truck and get the kit. This way I give the deer time to lay down and when I come back, I have everything I need to photograph and care for the deer.

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:53 pm

Cell phone- Safety and entertainment on long sits.

EZ hanger- Got to have my bow right in front of me.

Like JPH I also have a bin in my truck that has all trailing and stand hanging equiptment plus a camera.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:15 pm

The two?

Hmmmm. Guns. Ammo-- already disqualified. License?  same. Drat.

. . .think . . . think. . .

Thermos bottle, cause it keep da hit things hot and the cold things cold.  But how do it know???   How do it know???

I gots it!!!   My Butt pad.  I've had this one for 10 years.  If it ain't with me, I ain't hunting.  It's just a piece of foam, but this one has been on every deer hunt and turkey hunt, every hike and every camp since 1998.

This evening, I was at the Jagende Hutte, a shooting house on the edge of a pasture.  I had a folding chair to sit on, and a 5 gal bucket to put my feet on, but I still had my butt pad. I needed something for a rifle rest, and the butt pad was just the ticket.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Big Buck Daddy

Postby Big Buck Daddy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:02 pm

[;)]
ORIGINAL: Big Buck Daddy

I've always wanted to try this on a forum.  It's usually a fun conversation!

List 2 of the most important items you MUST HAVE in your pack (or pocket) when going out to hunt.  For everyone's enjoyment, include a short reason why you have it.

DON'T LIST things like your license, gun, or ammo.  That's too easy!

It's fun and sometimes educational to hear what other guys carry with them.

Thanks for participating!!

Good luck and good hunting!!

I should add "bow and arrows" to the list of NOT ALLOWED!
You can do anything you want, but you'll eventually have to answer to THE MAN for it!

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:11 pm

Butt out tool
My sharp hunting knife

Next

Return to General Discussions