Need your opion

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
striker

RE: Need your opion

Postby striker » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:35 pm

I have an 01 Toyota Tundra with 170000 miles on it. Just do required maintenance and it's never let me down. Friend of mine has a Tacoma with over 300k and i still running strong. Go with the Toyota.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:20 pm

I have a 2001 chevy S-10 pu with 161,000 miles on it . I have had the front wheel bearing hubs replaced twice on each side , starter motor , clutch , etc .. It sucks for gas milage . I plan on replacing it with a Subaru Forester ..............
If you go to the YAHOO home page and then autos and look up the different vehicles / trucks it will give you the estimated gas milage for those vehicles . The Canyon and Colorado have poor ratings by Consumer Reports . The Toyota has much better ................

paulie

Postby paulie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:34 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: Sailfish

I am a Ford person. Then Chevy.

I won't buy a foreign vehicle (or Dodge [:D] )

paulie

Postby paulie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:47 pm

Ok, lets try this again! I was trying say, its funny how people seem to think that because a car or truck has an "American" made name, that it must be made in America. I had a '98' GMC pick up, it was built in Canada, Canada is a "foreign" country! I now own a '2000' GMC pick up, and although it was built in Pontiac Michigan, most of the parts used to build it, were made in Mexico! Mexico is also a "foreign" country! My point is simple, just because a vehicle has an "American" made name, that does not mean it was made in America!

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:23 am

JPH, Buddy the engine will last that long but the body of the vehicle wont hope you can find another body to put your engine in HAHA..  Besides how do you fit all those big IOWA bucks you kill in the back of those toys brother. LOL

Most of the toys around here all you have is the front half and the bed of the truck is made of all 2x6's.

For me I will stick with my HEMI.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:53 am

I drive a Ford Explorer Sport Trac.  Works great for city driving and country hunting!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

richtaber

Postby richtaber » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:31 am

I have hunted 4x4 Nissans and Datsuns for years.  They are excellent trucks and will last for upwards of 200000 miles if you take care of them.  However, some day when I get another one I will probably get a Ford Ranger because you can get stuff for them in almost any small town in America.  Getting parts for a Nissan can be a continual exercise in frustration because the parts are harder to get, and then when you do get them, they are the wrong ones, which then sets you back another week.  After market stuff is also harder to get for them.    

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:28 am

Richtaber the ford ranger is a great truck you wont be disapointed I had a 93 put 175,000 on it never leaked oil and absoutly no probs.. I sold it because I wanted a full size truck.. Father-in-law talked to the guy I sold it to recently and he is still driving it has about 275 on it now and that is the 4cyl ranger....

Another good truck to look for is the older f-150 with the straight six in it that engine will run forever. My father just had to get rid of his because a tree fell on it 1985 f-150 had almost 400,000..

LongCut

Postby LongCut » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:06 pm

Best overall will be an opinion. I own an 07 F150 FX4. I custom ordered my rig from Ford and I love it! Dodge trucks are VERY nice, and you can get them cheaper than Ford or Chevy. The only reason I went Ford over Dodge is I get the family plan so it was cheaper (for me). I have no loyalties to any one company. My friend just got a Chevy. He is a NASCAR fan and knows nothing about the truck other than who makes it. His favorite NASCAR driver drives a Chevy, so that it what he drives. Nice truck (from what I can tell), but I like to do my research when spending 20K+++. Spend some time looking at everything, and don't get "brand specific". I hear good things about the Toyota's, and reallt like the way the new ones look.

As previously stated, I would caution against buying an smaller truck. You will ALWAYS want a fullsize after doing so.

One word of caution: DO NOT BUY A COLORADO. THEY ARE WAY TOO EXPENSIVE AND THEY ARE HORRIBLE ON GAS!!!! They were just rated the second worst vehicle on gas in the US. I know 4 people who have purchased these trucks, and they all hate them (Two got rid of them within a year). One guy spent more on his little truck than I did on my "biggun". (Keep in mind that I have a Supercrew with leather, etc.)

I just saw an ad for the 09 F150s. They have a new design and a new transmission. They look cool (IMO), but the 6 speed tranny, does not improve MPG. I could not beleive this. This was my one gripe with Ford, the 4 speed and bad gas milage. Now I have another one, a 6 speed with the same milage.

Do what you will, but please look around first so you are not disapointed.

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:19 pm

If u r still looking for a truck try consumer reports magazine. Their annual auto issue comes out in april. I'm sure your public library would have back issues.

Previous

Return to General Discussions