deer meat best part

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Washburn

RE: deer meat best part

Postby Washburn » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:26 am

I beg to differ, but different strokes for different folks.  A steer is very different than a cervid, but IMO the most tender meat that is a "loin", should be called the tenderloin, don't you think.  There are also more cuts on a steer that are not even present on a deer carcass, so comparison between the two is negligable.  Apples and oranges comparison.

Apples and oranges? A loin is a loin. A round steak is a round steak. Name one cut on a steer that is not present on a deer.

Don't intend this to be contentious...but I disagree based on a deer's physiology. Nicknames for cuts of meat (Preacher's Meat, Backstraps) is fine...it's interesting and often varies from region to region.

But the skeletal and meat structure of an animal is what it is.

I'm out....muzzleloader weekend in Northern Wisconsin.

Washburn
"As the light grows dimmer and the trail begins to fade, my sweetest dreams are those of yesteryear, at deer camp."

hilltop

Postby hilltop » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:28 am

The meat inside the cavity is the tenderloin. The backstrap lies on either side on top the back and is refered to as loin sometimes. Regardless, I say lets bread some of either, fry it up, make some gravy and pig out.

hunts2long

Postby hunts2long » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:44 am

Send them to me and I will take a look at them.....LOL....Doug

Smoothbore

Postby Smoothbore » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:02 am

The inside cuts are the tenderloin, the cuts along the spine are the loin. Its no different with beef the tenderloins cut into steaks are fillet mignion the steaks cut from the loin are strip steaks.

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:08 am

ORIGINAL: Smoothbore

The inside cuts are the tenderloin, the cuts along the spine are the loin. Its no different with beef the tenderloins cut into steaks are fillet mignion the steaks cut from the loin are strip steaks.

I agree!
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

Smoothbore

Postby Smoothbore » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:11 am

Ahhhh... c'mon man I want to argue.  J.K. LOL

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:19 am

"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:32 am

ORIGINAL: Washburn

I beg to differ, but different strokes for different folks.  A steer is very different than a cervid, but IMO the most tender meat that is a "loin", should be called the tenderloin, don't you think.  There are also more cuts on a steer that are not even present on a deer carcass, so comparison between the two is negligable.  Apples and oranges comparison.

Apples and oranges? A loin is a loin. A round steak is a round steak. Name one cut on a steer that is not present on a deer.

Don't intend this to be contentious...but I disagree based on a deer's physiology. Nicknames for cuts of meat (Preacher's Meat, Backstraps) is fine...it's interesting and often varies from region to region.

But the skeletal and meat structure of an animal is what it is.

I'm out....muzzleloader weekend in Northern Wisconsin.

Washburn

A loin is most certainly not a just a loin.  There are short loins, Sir-loins, tenderloins, etc....  A loin is a general term used, but there are descriptive precursors to each cut of each loin.

Also, you can get flank steaks made from a steer due to the extra muscles found in that region.  You will not find this in a deer.  So, the skeletal structure may be the same, but you will be lacking some cuts in a deer that are present in a steer.  Make some steak out of the flank in a deer and I will bow my head to you sir.  If you do they will only be 1/8" thick after cooking, which is hardly considered "steak".  That in itself defines muscle structure differences due to more muscles in this region for a steer. That is only one example.  Need I go on!

Previous

Return to General Discussions