Where the deer aren't!

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
PrairieShadow

RE: Where the deer aren't!

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:22 am

ORIGINAL: DeanoZ

ok thanks all again for the feedback...I have a few more questions:

1.  This may seem obvious to all of you, but I'll presume that they won't feed on non-green or dried out grasses?  This would make sense to me, but the few fields we have are around old ammo bunkers and I imagine in the next few weeks the grass will turn yellow...will they still feed on that?

Again all thanks for the advice!

I believed this was true until this year very early on in the season when 90% of everything was still green.  I had a nice 6x5 buck although probably only 2.5 stand right in front of my stand and pick through all the green foilage eating nothing but brown leaves that had recently fallen. He crunched and crunched on them for 10 mins or so, then wandered off still crunching the dried leaves as he went.

This was the first time i had encountered this.

And God only know what those ammo bunker bucks might eat? or grow for that matter[:D]
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:22 am

I had a nice 6x5 buck although probably only 2.5 stand right in front of my stand and pick through all the green foilage eating nothing but brown leaves that had recently fallen. He crunched and crunched on them for 10 mins or so, then wandered off still crunching the dried leaves as he went.

Ok, come again????  I'm guessing you let this guy walk because yuor practicing QDM and saw his potential?  Anywho, yeah i gotta tell ya, these guys just baffle me..but I eblieve someone said it before...Deer do the darndest things!!!

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:29 am

Yeah not what you think of when you hear the words "5x6" thats for sure.

They teach me something new everytime im in the woods and make me think about half of what i thought i knew.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:27 am

From what I've seen deer will eat just about anything, green, brown or otherwise.  I watched a doe grazing on clover a couple of weeks ago, then she goes over and eats some old brown dried up locust seed posts, after which she started eating some dead leaves still on the tree.  I've also watched deer walk through a perfectly good alfalfa field and start to eat on dried brown grass, only the deer knows why.  Wouldn't say that brown is a preference for them, but don't think they won't eat it.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:40 am

I'm not sure where you are but in western PA, there is a thorny plant (NOT multiflora rose) that grows commonly along field edges.  Right now the stalks are dark red and so are the leaves, tho 95% of the leaves are off.  There are small green buds on them, but there are so many thorns, I would never have considered it something deer would eat.  Until I walked along some fields after a snow.  Every field that had these plants contained lines of tracks where deer fed heavily on the plant.  I wish I knew what it was, but if you have anything like that, especially along a field edge, you might try hunting near there.

Of course, deer will stop by oak trees until every last acorn is gone.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:01 pm

i know that they like certain leaves(sugarmaple) to be dead  before they eat em.something to do with the sugar content increasing as it ages or something like that
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:04 pm

deer will feed on certain parts from different conifer trees. like cedar, for example, they will just eat the green boughs they can reach. not so much early in the year, but over winter when food gets real scarce. even this time of year, if there is snow on the ground, cold temps, and food sources are scarce, they will start eating that type of stuff.
they seem to eat just about any type of bud or berry they can find. ive seen them go after berry bushes with hard little buds on them. pretty much any kind of tree or bush with buds on it might get eaten. kind of depends on what else is available. like others said, i would also check around areas where acorns were dropping, they will check those areas out again.
i like the afternoons as well myself. i was just watching a D&DH episode that talked about how deer will bed down all night when it is very cold, and then feed more in the early to late afternoon once the temps are a little higher, conserve body heat. thats already been mentioned, but just wanted to add that I have heard the same thing.
late season around here picks up closer to the end of december. we just got done with gun season, muzzleloader season is going on right now, and next week will be a 4 day antlerless gun hunt. so the hunter pressure is still winding down, and that really throws our activity around. but with snow and cold temps upon us and the majority of hunters out of the woods, the deer will start hitting the fields anytime after about noon, depending on the weather. so i dont know where youre at or what your hunting pressure is like, but as the season winds down, keep hitting those food sources and youll start seeing more and more activity.
also, if you have access to enough land, i would give tracking a try if you have some snow. really hard with a bow, but its possible if the conditions are right. even if you dont track something down, the best thing to do is at least locate the freshest tracks around and try to figure out when they are going through certain areas, and try to be there to meet them. good luck.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:42 am

Dean, the deer could have been simply using another feeding, or bedding area, or another travel corridor at the time you were trying to cam them. The deer have many more options in the wilderness, and many hunters over look that aspect of the hunt. The cold has alot to do with deer activity too, deer just try to conserve thier fat stores, until the temps warm up, even 10 degrees variance could have a positive impact on movement. The lock down phase of the rut, also could be hindering the movement in your area.  Windchill not only slows us down, but pushes deer into deep draws and ravines, where they can avoid the brunt of the inclement weather.  The best part of it all is you have found a area that has heavy deer sign, you need to just hunt the area, and sooner or later you will see deer there.     
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

hilltop

Postby hilltop » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:21 am

This is why deer are called brousers not grazers.

Previous

Return to General Discussions