Shot for Just Bein' Ugly

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
JPH

RE: Shot for Just Bein' Ugly

Postby JPH » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:55 am

ORIGINAL: shaman
The path of hunting for ever-increasing antlers is kind of a dead end.

So true! There are so many ways to distract ourselves from the real meaning of the hunt. I admire and desire big bucks as much as the next guy. But if that is all there is to it, it's pretty hollow.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:01 am

shaman i get the whole "not hunting hunt "sometimes i sit there all day knowing that unless i see something that makes me go WOW im not gonna pull the trigger .I just enjoy being out there and the woods themselves [:)]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:00 am

Joel and everybody:

Now, here's question : if you're down to a doe tag, and you know you're probably going to see a shootable doe, then what?

What happens when there's no more "WOW" left in the season?

Here are the options I've tried:

1)  Stay home.  Bummer. Season ends to soon.
2)  Go out, but don't carry a weapon. There's another name for it: hiking.  Again, bummer.  I could join the Sierra Club and eat granola too.
3)  Go out, carry a weapon, but don't shoot anything until the last possible moment, or not at all. It's a little hard to get used to.  My friend Beryl does it too. Things get very existential up in the treestand.
4)  Bring a camera. I really need a different lens to do it justice, but here is what I did last year:  Eye Candy

I'm open to other ideas.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:34 am

Buy another doe tag.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:04 am

Update: A possible reason for the ugly buck

FromGrizzly Gary's Forum:

Zenrider:

I was with a friend that harvested a deer in NY with a very similar looking defect.

We disected it and soon determined it had been shot, from the side, by a small caliber weopon. It had healed to some degree and the animal would have certainly lived. The jaw was considerably shorter now and deformed a bit. The critter would have been OK except for wandering around during hunting season.

Not much to solve except for who was trying to poach it?

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:12 am

I went out this weekend with my Dad,

He has a rifle buck tag but i got turned down this year so i ended up with 2 doe tags instead.

We layed atop a stock dam on Sunday evening and i never even loaded my rifle as i didnt plan on shooting anything. I was out there to spend time with the ol' man and that is just what we did. Saw 5 bucks and 2 does. One was a questionable shooter but dad chose to pass on him. I will fill my doe tags at some point in the season, just not now.

If i were to fill my tags now what the heck would i do the rest of the year?

Im all about the hunt and spending time with family and friends, Not the kill.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:08 pm

3) Go out, carry a weapon, but don't shoot anything until the last possible moment, or not at all. It's a little hard to get used to. My friend Beryl does it too. Things get very existential up in the treestand.
4) Bring a camera. I really need a different lens to do it justice, but here is what I did last year: Eye Candy
  those are my solutions
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:57 pm

I guess this is what they refer to as becoming a Sportsman, that highest evolution of the hunter.  I guess we have progressed through the other three phases of our hunting career (shooter, methodist, trophy-addict) and have reached our pinnacle.

I say "Phooey!!!" 

I want to go back to being the naked ape in the treestand.  This sportsman stuff makes my brain hurt. 

[ul][*]I want my Jon-ee Handwarmer back, and I want to believe the secret deer lure will work[*]I want to have serious discussions about whether last year's camo pattern is now outdated[*]I want to see a doe and know there's a buck back there somewhere pushing her out ahead with his antlers to see what lies beyond
[*]I want to believe all the deer are hiding just across the neighbor's fence[*]I want to fidget. I want to have deer bust me from looking at my watch too often.[*]When a little basket shows up, I want the treestand to shake. I want the crosshairs to dance again.[/ul]
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:40 am

i still fill the freezer[:D]

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:04 pm

I have been taking my son in law out hunting or working on the honey do list.
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions