Anyone else being affected by standing corn?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Squirrelhawker

Anyone else being affected by standing corn?

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:09 am

The farms I'm hunting on are surrounded by large tracts of standing corn.
We are not seeing the deer we normally see, yet sign is everywhere.
Der have been heard grunting and moving in the corn and one or two have been snuck up on bedded in the corn. The one farm that is combining heavily there is more shooting and more sightings.

Deer are being taken but oddly most of them medium to large bucks that I'm assuming were caught traveling in search of does. I know of very few does shot in the last few days. The farm across th road was cut early a few weeks ago and they took four doe but that was it.

Anyone experiencing this same thing?

JPH

RE: Anyone else being affected by standing corn?

Postby JPH » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:37 am

Yep. One of the places i hunt in Iowa is almost impossible to hunt with standing corn, and it is still out there.

I managed to take a buck w/ bow in the timber, but I had to get permission from the neighbors to retreive him via their property.

I want to kill some does over Thanksgiving weekend and I am praying that the farmer will have the corn out by then.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:54 am

Yeah same thing around here, there is a couple fields of it still standing where i see tons of deer in em normally when its not up, its frustrating lol, i could stalk em in there i guess but i would screw it up somehow lol!

RatherBeHuntin24/7

Postby RatherBeHuntin24/7 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:55 am

Yes sir, i was really successful early in the season hunting right on top of it.. buuut it turned out that i wasnt suppose to hunt that part of the lease and thats really where most of the deer were so ive been grindin my teeth else where, i mean the deer have got to move around some to find other nutrients but theres definatly alot of deer hangin out and bedding in and around it. and i mean car crashes have been so low this year, maybe that has somethin to do with it.. im thinkin the does are hiding from bucks better with that corn up.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:04 am

I honestly don't know. Almost all the corn in my area is out with the exception of a small fileds (30 acres or so). I've seen deer mostly does, fawns and small bucks. Opening day of firearms was slooooowwww. Not the normal WW3 gunfire you hear at first light. Probably had to do more with the bad weather than anything else. This upcoming saturday will be much nicer so we will see if there are more hunters out.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

Ugnasty77

Postby Ugnasty77 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:04 am

yeah, the farmer behind our property still has his corn up, and it is killing me because where i live is an earn-a-buck, and all the does are in the corn. I set up my trail cam on a tree line near the corn, and there are a bunch of deer that come out of the field around 6pm and are usually back in around sun up. I really need to get a doe too, because i have seen a lot of buck sign, and some really nice bucks and i would love to get one of them.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:37 am

Okay, I'm gonna try and feel a little better then.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:01 pm

I firmly believe that the lack of deer sightings for me the last month or so has to do with over 80% of the corn around where I hunt is still standing.  I use the term 'lack' very loosely too...Deer sightings have declined probably 75%.  Hopefully things have changed a bit the last week or so since it's our gun opener this Saturday!

Ugnasty77

Postby Ugnasty77 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:20 pm

Ok, well now that we know there are many people being effected by standing corn, does anyone have any tips on how to draw the deer out. Expecailly in my situation because the standing corn isnt on my property, its on the farmers behind ours, therefore i wont go into it to try and drive them out.

wisbooner3932

Postby wisbooner3932 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:24 pm

I hunt with 8 other family members opening day, most of which (including me) sit over corn fields which are still unpicked.  I was sitting at my grand parents tonight (where we all hunt) when the trucks and combines rolled in.  I got excited until they burried the combine in the muddy soil near the road, no where near where any of our stands were.  I talked my grandpa later tonight and he told me they attempted to pull it out with a tractor but failed.  Talk about a bummer. I sure hope they pull it out and get it picked by opening day!

Next

Return to General Discussions