Hunting Camp Ideas......

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Treestand Sniper

Hunting Camp Ideas......

Postby Treestand Sniper » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:53 am

I am planning on building a hunting camp that will not be accessible to electic or natural gas.

Any ideas on alternante energy?? 
 do you have any imaginitive ideas for living quarters, kitchen facilities, lighting????

I want to make it comfortable for the wife in the summer.

Thanks,
M-

JPH

RE: Hunting Camp Ideas......

Postby JPH » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:32 am

I do not know that I can offer a lot in the way of amenities. My cabin is a one-roomer, lit by lantern and candlelight and heated with a barrel stove. My water supply is a jug in the back of my truck and my stove is a Coleman camp stove. Nothing special.

What I can offer is a little advice re. security. No matter how nice your place is, there is nothing worse than finding it broken into. I have implemented the following measures.

1. A fence and gate that keep people from easily driving to the cabin. I have found that theves and poachers are lazy.
2. A battery powered door alarm, loud enough to make your ears hurt. Mine has scared off one thief.
3. A high quality, outward swinging, steel door in a steel frame and deadbolt. My profession has taught me how to force doors, but this type is tough w/o special tools.
4. Heavy guage steel mesh bolted over the windows from the inside. You can leave gaps so that you can open the windows but no one can slip through.

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:59 am

The Vogelzang Deluxe Boxwood Stove for heating. Either that or their 55 Gal barrel stove kit.  I've got the former at my shack.  It heats the whole house. It was about $120 and delivers 118,000 BTU.

For lighting, I would suggest wiring the place for 12V lights and then running them off a couple of trolling motor batteries wired in parallel.  I have a buddy who does this and has a solar panel on the roof that recharges them when he's not around.  All the rig does is run his house lights, his cistern pump and the radio. As long as you don't plug in an electric fry pan, it'll do ya. The solar panel came from Harbor Freight. Use flashlights and lanterns as backup and for incidental lighting.

For cooking, get a 2-3 burner propane gas range and bring in a tank. Supplement with a good grill.   For baking, use a dutch oven in conjunction with the grill.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:22 pm

Propane heater combined with wood stove. You can bring the smaller bottles of propane with you on your hunting trips.

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:51 am

Wire your camp for lights,tv and a satilite dish and then run them off a generator.Have propane for a water heater, propane lights and stove.Have a wood stove for heat.Put the beds on the 2nd story.Put a couple of plastic 55 gal drums on the second floor inside the camp and use rain gutters to catch rain off your tin roof for your toilet and hot water heater (gravity feed).Make sure you use a screen to filter your water before it goes in the drums.Use a 275 oil tank in the ground for your septic.Outhouse gets cold when it's 15 degrees[:)]
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

outdoorsfellar

Postby outdoorsfellar » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:04 pm

This certainly sounds comfy to us guys, but having no electric will be a BIG challenge to most women ! [:D][:D]

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:09 pm

If your limited for space a friend of mine mounted cedar board beds on the walls of his Hunting Cabin that fold up out of the way,I'm thinking he used hinges and heavy chain links to support the beds when they are in the down position,I'll see if I can get a picture of them the next time I'm out there?Another Hunter I know uses a 5-gallon bucket with a sprinkler head mounted under it and a shut-off valve to take a shower outside his Cabin,he warms up the water on his wood stove,pours it in the bucket opens the valve and showers real fast if it is Winter time Burrrrrrrr! [&:]

If your not using any electricity I recommend getting of of those portable DVD players you can charge up in a Truck cigarete lighter for entertainment ! [;)] SportmansGuide.com has lots of different Camping Supplies for a reasonable price along with several items that can used with batteries and the little propane tanks.I would also keep a Fire Extinguisher nearby for any Emergencys.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:25 pm

check out a rv web site they have all sorts of great small stuff that runs on solar,batteries and propane
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:35 pm

If you want to keep the wife comfortable, install a regular toilet.  Tote water in to fill the tank for flushing.  Run it to a septic or holding tank.  Nothing will keep the wife away from camp more than having to use an outhouse.

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:51 am

ORIGINAL: danesdad

If you want to keep the wife comfortable, install a regular toilet.  Tote water in to fill the tank for flushing.  Run it to a septic or holding tank.  Nothing will keep the wife away from camp more than having to use an outhouse.

Let me amend that a bit. Nothing will keep the wife away from camp more than having to use an ill-kept outhouse.

We have indoor plumbing at "Der Barnhof" , flush toilet included.  However, for the campground on the back of the property, I built an outhouse.  All the women that come by love it.  The trick was that I used a lot of bright white enamel on the inside, used a standard toilet seat, and built the thing so the vapors vent to the outside rather than collect on the inside. 

It sits over a simple pit only a few feet deep.  It is a very low-use facility.  If it were our main depository, I would have built it on the side of the hill, had everything fall into a concrete basin and had everything wash into some corregated drain pipe down the hill.

BTW:  That's what we do with the house's effluent.  The original sewer pipe ended about 10 yards out from the back of the house.  I ran 100' of corregated drain pipe down the hill to extend it.  Once every season, I move the end of the "poop pipe" a few feet to one side or the other and this keeps things from building up.

That brings up another item:  Water.

We were lucky that we had some well made cisterns on the property, one was close by the house.  I had the option of hooking up to city water, but chose not to. Rainwater off the roof keeps the cistern filled. I ran gutters to a home made roof washer and then to the cistern.  Out of the cistern, I use a shallow well pump and a pressure tank.  However, you can get a decent flow from a 12V pump, especially if you use it to fill a tank in the rafters during off-peak hours.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Return to General Discussions