Dilemma - Urgent!

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
DeanoZ

Dilemma - Urgent!

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:53 am

Ok here is the situation, i've been hunting this scrape line with moderate success, and by that I mean I've had two nice 8 pointers approach within 15 yrds but could not get the shot off because I was busted both times..no they did not smell me, they saw me, said hmmm..and ran off!  The problem is they come across this sand lot with scattered pines to the edge of the lot where the scrapes are at...my stand is tucked away near the scrapes and on a shooting lane I thought they would come to..and also on the only tree large enough without low hanging branches that i can hang my climber on.  After losing two opportunties it was time to rethink tactics.  Foudn another tree further along the scrape line that needs some pruning, but also concelas me better and gives me a view ito the sandy lot so i can see them coming and not get surprised like I did the last two times.  Now the delema is I have to go ito the stand today to prune up that tree possibly disturbing the area to do all this OR as i was leaving my stand yesterday and walkig back to my truck I saw a nice set of HUGE tracks and a scrape.  I followed the tracks which led to another clearing similar to the one I'm hunting that had about 3 scrapes in it was open and had some ideal trees to hang a stand from.  however getting to this stand in the darl wil require me to do some pruning ito the woods and I could potentially make some noise getting into it. 

So my dilemma is do I go back to the primary scrape line, where I've been seeing 8 pointers come in (on and off though, not every time I hunt), prune it possibly disturb the area...or do i go to the new stand where the monster tracks (and other tracks as well) lead to?  The open area of this new site has 3 trails intersecting this area as well and I should also mention that these two sites are only 200-300 meters apart from the other and there is a good chance any deer passing by one stand might be passing by the other.  Wind would be the same in relation to the deers route of travel regardless of the stand I choose.

Really need some help with this one quickly because either way i have to go out this afternoon and get my treestand set up at one of them for tomorrows hunt.  Thanks guys!

stormshooter4

RE: Dilemma - Urgent!

Postby stormshooter4 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:14 am

get there early afternoon while they're bedded, make quick work of it queitly, and hope for the best! You never know if you don't try.
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:19 am

I would move to the new spot where the three trails meet. Even with a foray into that area to set up it is only going to be what 8-10 hours and you will be back and ready. The deer may not even move through yet and have no idea anyone was even there. You have a great chance at catching them completely of guard, especially if you have educated a few.

Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:36 am

Thanks Storm and Bucksnort...Storm both spots need work...which way were you recommending?

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:43 am

Depending on how far they bed from where you are and the wind when you do this, simple pruning should not hurt you much. Handle the branches with gloves and toss them well off the trail where there is little or no sign of deer travel. Try rotate your stands of course so you don't burn out the location too.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:00 am

Good point Squirrel...i should probably get both of them done in one shot...even if it impacts tomorrows hunt at least I can start rotating stands

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:34 am

I would trim both but hunt the new spot. Sounds like you've hit the first one pretty hard and it may be time to let it cool off. The first time in a new stand location can be awesome.

As for fear of disturbing the deer with pruning, I would just use some common sense. Be quiet and scent free, and only trim what you need to.

Maybe I do not give them enough credit, but I do not think a little trimming upsets the deer. Remember, they are covering a lot of ground right now and cannot possibly remember the location of every branch. Not to mention that stuff is blowing down or being cut by farmers/woodcutters all the time.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:54 am

JPH, thanks...yes what you said makes total sense and thats what i'm leaning towards...if I can just get into the new stand without sounding like a chainsaw i think that will be the spot...and I'm of the same opinion, so long as I'm not materially changing the landscape I don't think the deer will notice...and while I'm at it I can trim up stand #1 for future use and give that one a rest!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:52 am

OK so here is what i did...as most suggested i trimmed up both spots and ended up hunting the new spot Saturday morning.  By 0700 I had a nice 7 pointer come right to the stand..drew the bow back and "CLANK" bumped the bottom cam wheel against the tree stand railing...BUSTED AGAIN.  He ran off about 20 yrds turned broadside and if it were not for a small twig in the way i would have taken the shot.  I'm not sure I deserve any more opportunities or to be called a hunter...thats three 7 point or better bucks that have come within 10 yrds of my stand and have busted me or I busted myself...uhhhhg...it really is embarrasing :-/ .  After that debacle, I saw a buck on the ridgeline about 100 yrds, tried grunting but he just ignored me and kept right on going in the opposite direction.  Following that two doe came tearign through my stand, literally chasing one another in circles around my stand.  Was the darndest thing, anyone ever see two doe chasing each other?  Followed by two more doe, who came within 10 yrds of my stand, caught wind of me and bolted.  Was very windy on Saturday so I'm not surprised I did not see much moving after that.   I hunted the same stand this mornin and did not see a thing...winds were somewhat in my favor, more so than Saturday, but perhaps getting busted twice was enough for the deer to remember.  I'll unt the old spot on Wednesday, that will have given it 5 days rest....incidently i saw fresh scrapes at the old one, so its not quite worn out yet. 

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:58 am

ORIGINAL: DeanoZ

I'm not sure I deserve any more opportunities or to be called a hunter...

Brother, it's things like that that give you the RIGHT to call yourself one! You are going to loose far more than you win. That is what being a hunter is all about!

As for the doe chase. I have seen does fight and chase for short distances. But if the chase was sustained, I would suggest that it may have been a button buck doing the chasing. I have seen that before, especially late in the rut.

Next

Return to General Discussions