Dilemma - Urgent!

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
DeanoZ

RE: Dilemma - Urgent!

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:09 am

[quote]Brother, it's things like that that give you the RIGHT to call yourself one! You are going to loose far more than you win. That is what being a hunter is all about! [/quote

Bro i know and of course your right...i should be grateful for the opportunity and i am...guess I'm just tired and need to man up, accdept this is part of the experience.  thanks for the atta boy though...i needed it.  No way am i giving up, just a matter of time and I'll get him!

Yes, thought it might be a button buck as well...hard to tell, it all happened so fast i was caught off guard and thought it might be my buck coming back for more, lol.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:33 am

I have been having a similiar season. Personally and, ironically, I find that one of my failings or "bad habits" seems to be setting up situations where I end up getting too close to deer rather than not close enough. It is often an unwanted by-product of being a good hunter and just another skill to constantly try and improve on.

Here this should make you feel better. So far this season:

8 pointer 16 yards- couldn't draw ( back problems)

Doe 12 yards- natural groundblind. Busted. Shot over her in a panic.

Monster doe leading a group. Wind shifted

Spike 19 yards. Hit a branch.

HAPPENS TO ALL OF US!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:26 pm

I echo the previous posts...If I went over everything that went wrong when I was hunting, we'd be here for a looooooooong time.  Those same mistakes has made me the hunter that I am today.  I'm sure the rest of the guys here can say the same.

Good luck the rest of the season!

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:49 pm

thats why they call it huntin and not killin cause your always gonna do more of the former than the latter. my biggest hinderance in the deer woods........ME
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:23 pm

sounds like your hunting just fine its the killing part your having trouble with[:D]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:14 am

LOL...yeah its definately the killing part I have a problem with!  But , I'll get him..and like I said I'm fortunate to have had the opportunity to see some decent bucks walk within 10 yrds of my stand..that alone lets me know I'm doing something right.  Although like Squirrle I think one of my problems is I'm too close to the deer.  Unfortunately thats a by product of the trees available to set up a stand..either too small, or way too much pruning needed, or too far away or just not the right shot angle.  One good thing thats come of all of this is I've learned when selecting a tree to envision where the deer will come from and the shot angle needed for a broadside or quartering shots and base my tree selection on that.

I'm also dong away with the climber...its great for on the fly stand selection but I think a better investment would be a tree saddle..its quieter, stealthier, and I can get up and down quicker.  Don't knwo if any of you have experience with it, but guess I'll save that question for another post.  Thansk again guys for making me feel better...your all right..guess thats why its called hunting and not just killing :)

Previous

Return to General Discussions