how is your deer seasons going???

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
dtrain56

RE: how is your deer seasons going???

Postby dtrain56 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:33 pm

well i wish i had the luck of some of you guys who can hunt in multiple states or have really liberal bag limits..

in Pa only allowed a buck and a doe( if you draw a tag), i got both this year so i am home sitting in front of the computer still itching to get out though...i will have to wait to next year unfortunatley..

did get a decent nine point though..couldn't pass it up..

next year might have to so i can hunt more but that venision stromboli sure did taste good tonight!!!!!!

paulie

Postby paulie » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:38 pm

Passed up five young bucks during the early bow season, saw two shooters(too far). Since the firearm season started(sat 15th) I've seen two or three doe's(no shot) one young buck(1 1/2yr old), and a ton of fawns(no mamma's). Its like I'm hunting in a friggin 'deer orphanage'!! I've never seen so few doe's in this area! I figure either, it's due to the "early firearm" doe season or, DNR is gettin a bit too liberal with the 'crop damage' permits around here. whatever it is, it sucks!!

shadow

Postby shadow » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:37 pm

Well I got a small buck on public land back on october 4th with my bow, since then I 've had encounters with 5 does on my land but no good shot opportunities. No bucks seen yet but trying hard to get a good one, would like to also kill a couple does now that its rifle season.

coach

Postby coach » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:43 pm

Slow in Ontario where I hunt.  Our group took in total 5 bucks. Only one wall hanger...still waiting for pics, but myself,  I saw 1 doe with 2 fawns. That was my week of hunting.  We had wind, freezing rain and 25 c.m. of snow.  This is riffle.  Now that its over....I keep going with my bow.
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:57 pm

dtrain do you take advantage of bow and muzzloader?thats how i get more tags.you could also try hunting out of state,that can be expensive though.stromboli sounds good you should put it in the recipie section
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:45 am

Poor.

My archery hunt in FL resulted in zero deer....nor even seeing a deer.

Opening rifle in MI, resulted in seeing zero deer day one.
5 deer day 2 (only one in shootable range) and I took a 120# doe.

Usually, we'll see 30+/- deer a day.
Never saw it so bad in my area of MI.

However, just a few miles away my uncle and family counted 50 in the first two hours, and they harvested 3 bucks within 20 minutes of each other on the same spit of land.

Also the bucks that others in our area saw, paid little, if any, interest in the does.

My area had too much corn in this year. I have never seen the fields so full of corn this time of year.
I got my doe in fact thanks to a combine flushing her, otherwise I prolly would have seen only one deer the whole hunt!
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:15 am

No luck yet where I hunt in Alabama, seems the deer are out plenty at night but not too much movement during the day.  The rut down this far south tends to ramp up in December and run through January so plenty of time yet.  I was only able to hunt a couple of weekends during bow season.  Gun season opens this weekend and due to circumstances beyond my control I won't be able to hunt.  Looks like my first weekend for the gun season will be Dec. 5-7. 

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:07 am

ORIGINAL: paulie

Passed up five young bucks during the early bow season, saw two shooters(too far). Since the firearm season started(sat 15th) I've seen two or three doe's(no shot) one young buck(1 1/2yr old), and a ton of fawns(no mamma's). Its like I'm hunting in a friggin 'deer orphanage'!! I've never seen so few doe's in this area! I figure either, it's due to the "early firearm" doe season or, DNR is gettin a bit too liberal with the 'crop damage' permits around here. whatever it is, it sucks!!
I haven't been seeing alot of doe activity here as well. Now that the crops are out and we are getting colder temps, maybe we will see more doe's running around. Also, now that the doe's are starting  thier estrus cycles, more doe's should be active during the day light.  Seeing more young doe's could mean that the harvest in your area is starting to reduce your doe herd numbers. I'm in the same situation here, many young buck's, and few mature doe's.    
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

AfterShock95

Postby AfterShock95 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:30 pm

well oct 5 I got a button buck and oct 19 shot a doe but never found her was a low point for me. Then nov 15 I missed a doe and then had a decent buck follow her in and never even got a shot at him. So now my hunting is on hold for this comming weekend it youth weekend here so the kids get to take there guns out early and try to fill there tags and yes I'll be out in a tree sitting with my son right beside me that will be better then any deer I will shot all year

ohiohunter

Postby ohiohunter » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:24 am

As i just stated in the ohio forum, I was driving home last night around 8 pm when a doe ran in front of my truck.  I let her walk by when the surprise of my life walked across the road.  A 13 point buck with about a 6 in droptine walked in front of my car towards my family's woods.  Im only 17 so i get to participate in ohio's youth gun season that starts tomorrow so i will be sitting out all day hoping to get a shot at him.  Ill keep you posted!!!

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions