Massachuets_Rut

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
thule

Massachuets_Rut

Postby thule » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:11 am

Does anybody know what stage of the rut we are in? I've been out now for a few days in a tree stand but yet I see no activity. I've used the grunt, rattle and bleat 1 time every 20 minutes and nothing seems to come in. Currently located in a swamp area bedding toward my right with tons of tracks and droppings. What am I doing wrong?

Forgot to mention that my only choice is to get in at 9:00am right now because my child needs to get dropped off in school. Am I getting in to late? Maybe making to much noise?

This is my first season..

Demoderby4

RE: Massachuets_Rut

Postby Demoderby4 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 am

Well technically we are in the peak of the rut here in MI and that should be where just about all of the north end of the country should be give or take a few days. So you being in the woods now is your best bet to knock down a buck! As for calling, i don't like to call sooner than every 1/2 hr. and i notice that calling "blind" (when you don't see any deer) doesn't seem to work very well, at least for me. I would wait until every 1/2 hr or maybe even a lil longer than that. Getting in at 9 shouldnt be hurting you too bad, i normally get out in the woods at 1 or so and have seen lots of deer after 9. I shot my does at 10:02 on opening day here. But as long as you are out in the woods esp. this time of the year you have a good shot at a buck! Hope this helped!

thule

Postby thule » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:34 am

Demoderby,

Thanks for the feedback. Question thou, when I'm going toward my tree stand at 9:00am should I just make a straight go at it? or should I be covering say 20 yards pause then another 20 yards and so forth in attempts to keep the walking noise down?

shadow

Postby shadow » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:18 pm

thule,
I'm down the road from you in Conn., and have found the woods almost void of deer the last 3 weeks whenever I have gone out. No one else hunts the property or is even on it so I'm not sure what may be going on here. (Deer Lockdown)? (Maybe I have spooked them somehow)?  Nothing like the early season, then I saw deer on every hunt.
I do have a few recent trail cam pictures of does during the day, I have also seen one during the day as well, and have seen only one buck during daylight hours and have a trail cam picture of one at night (see todays post for a couple of pics and question I posted). I have not been able to call in any buck or doe either with an estrous bleat, buck call or rattle.
I too have been going out the last couple of times at around 9 am because of getting the kids to school, and  I always try to walk in with the wind blowing to me when I go in during daytime hours, I also still hunt to my site.. walking in SLOWLY..going 2-3 feet at a time,watching where I step to reduce any noise, moving slowly and scanning the trail, bushes, and woods for any deer movement. I have been succesfull this way at seeing deer without them seeing me and I was able to kill one last year like this. Still hunting to my stand site takes longer (and I feel I may be even going at it to quickly) but you just may see a deer before it see's you and run's off.
And unless I go in for an afternoon hunt, I don't use my climbing stand. I feel it may make to much noise and commotion at what I also feel is a time when I have seen most of my deer up and traveling, and obviously I don't want them seeing or hearing me climbing a tree during the early dayllight hours. That's just my opinion, I'll usually just sit down overlooking an area I feel deer may be traveling. 

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:15 am

Thule, Like shadow said still hunting can be very rewarding, but it is also very taxing and take tons of patience, something i dont have much of at times lol. If you want to give that technique a try go for it! If you have the patience and diligence to do that getting to stand thats something i wish i could do. I have tried still hunting and im not much of a fan of it as of now. Me personally, i would just walk to my stand, i mean walk cautiously (wandering eyes, slowly, make sure to pick yer feet up and put em down softly) and have the wind to your face if at all possible, but i like to get to my stand and sitting/in place asap. And if you do make noise, have your call with you and give a few grunts or bleats as you walk and when u sit down. I have came into my stand making some noise and everything and have had deer come by but 15 mins later, it doesn't happen all the time, but just because you snap a few twigs or ruffle some leafs doesnt mean your hunt is over.

Return to General Discussions