People Hunting the Property Line

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
passin through

People Hunting the Property Line

Postby passin through » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:40 am

Anybody have trouble with almost poachers/trespassers?  Stands that sit right on your property line and you know if they get the chance they'll pull a shot across you?  The following is a venting so please excuse!

I had a guy this weekend that came across on my place  (or I found where he did)....We had some timber stolen earlier in the year and this guys wife inherited an 80 next to my grandfathers place ( also an 80) that was all pine thicket.  It runs north x nw from ours...This weekend when I went back to where they cut the timber to salvage some firewood, here I found a box blind sitting on my corner and a full feeder sitting 100yds into my place.Image

I did not act redneck as I wanted.  I took his feeder down and put it by his stand and called him up.  He got a little smart alec but said he would move 3-4-5 ft to get off the corner.  Still shooting up an access road that he claims all of, which was news to me, as  I know I have 50 % of it with a lease from my other neighbor.  Anyways, I guess he expects me to believe that he is not going to shoot out the southern window of that blind into my place.

This whole situation just burns me up!  He knew when he placed that stand he did not have any timber cut, all he has is 12yrold pines,  and he still placed the stand in the log set.  As to the feeder???  He told me on the phone he thought that might have been on me from the beginning but he was in a hurry so him and his boys just set it up....100 yds into my place and 100yds south of where the stand is (you got to go north to get out of there)  What happened to people being considerate of each other?  Neighbors being neighborly?  I was raised with the firm rule of stating 100- 150 yds off the property line when placing a stand.  Then this pilgrim says he'll move a couple feet to get off the corner........

Oh well .... I acted civilized.  I also have a survey crew going in in the next month or so and if the stand is still inside me I'll take care of it then...(no I wont destroy it)  but I will move the stand ....he said he was going to gate the disputed lane but I don't think he realizes how much stuff a 90 hp 4w drive tractor can move...and by then that lane will be out of dispute because I called my other nieghbor I am leasing it from this morning[:D]  Until then I am going in with poultry house courtain  (8ft x 440ft) and put me up a little view blocker on MY property line....may hang some pie plates and tin cans from it as well.   Wouldn't want Mr. Pilgrim to be bored when he looks over that 2-3 ft to the south....

fasteddie

RE: People Hunting the Property Line

Postby fasteddie » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:29 am

My son put a food plot on his property. We did a lot of work pulling stumps , clearing rocks , spreadind lime , planting , mowing , etc .. Then the guys that hunt the adjoining property put stands up along the property line . My son had a civil discussion with them ( he's a civil Engineer ) and they moved their stands . My son offered to give them a hand with food plots on the other property . They were agreeable but never did it . They were there to hunt , not come up and work !

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:42 am

It's a tough issue. Obviously there are extreem cases, like the above, where hunting the property line amounts to a form of harassment. But in most cases, I consider anything up to the fence to be fair game.

The places that I hunt are a patchwork of 40-200 acre parcels. It's kind of hard to stay off fence lines in those situations. I've had hunters put stands right on the line and I have done the same.

It is nice to have a little talk before the season. When do you plan on hunting that stand? Would you mind keeping the shots to your side of the fence? If you have to track one on my property, could you call my cell?

The guys I've had issues with are the ones who don't even bother with tree stands. They hunt from their pickup trucks!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:22 am

On small properties it is hard not to place a stand on or near a fence line - comes down to neighbors being good neighbors.  On our 100 acres, our closest stand to a fence is probably about 40 yards inside the property line.  But then we have also built our food plots toward the center of the property for that very reason - a plot near a property line just means I'm planting it for both me and my neighboer.  And I'm not that good of neighbor. [:)]

Glad to see though passin through you kept things civil and didn't let the situation get out of hand. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:57 am

One solution that i thought of, although probably not the best, is to drill a few telephone poles into the ground on your side of the property line. Then bolt 4x8 sheets of plywood up so they cannot see into your property.
This will only work for the people that build permanent stands though, otherwise they can just move the stand a few feet.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:07 pm

Well a couple of years ago I'm hunting 30 yards from my line and this guy comes in at dusk talking real loud on his cell ...it's prime time late afernoon...I hear him say she's in her stand ...about then I yell ...hold up I'll be right there...."what are you doing?...looking to put a climber here on the property line..."no I don't think so ...see my house garage...chicken/dog house?  it's 300ft away...and NY has a 500ft rule....so shove off... thanks for screwing up my hunt.....Later the guy he was talking to called me unsportman like and screamed 500ft my a$$...OK ..I built a 8 x 6 ft chicken coop ...painted it bright red right where that guy walked in.....Now he has ANOTHER 500 ft he can't hunt and my line is safe...PS....I informed their buddy that if they gave me any more trouble I'd build a sheep run out and they can move right out of the wood lot all together......so far so good!

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:15 pm

your all right msbadger[;)]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Hey  Thanks a lot for kicking my buddy off yer property msbadger ! [:-]  [:-]  j/k

landof10000

Postby landof10000 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:14 pm

Hi Guys,

This is a great topic.  I have to agree with ranwin33 on hunting small parcels of land.  Its hard not to sit near a property line, after all you didnt buy the land so that you couldnt hunt the whole thing.  You can still hunt near property lines, but just be a sportsman about it, if you see other stand(s) in the area, expect that someone might be out there as well, that is when you talk to them and work out something, hopefully he/she isnt a pain in the butt.  I have had no problems sitting on property lines, more trespassing than anything on our property.  Good post!

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:23 pm

msbadger maybe you need to clarify was he trespassing on your property to get to the other property or was he on the other property.. Also if you are 30 yards from that persons property arnt you doing the same thing as he was trying to do. What makes it right for you and not him.. Like I said maybe I am reading your post wrong, but it sounds like you are giving this guy a hard time and sounds a little selfish you can do it but he cant..

Dont get me wrong if people are intetionally trying to screw up your hunt thats no good but as far as hunting property lines goes they are fair game as long as the people hunting them dont shoot onto the other persons property and if a deer is shot and runs onto your property they should as permission to get the deer from your property..

Next

Return to General Discussions