People Hunting the Property Line

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
msbadger

RE: People Hunting the Property Line

Postby msbadger » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:04 am

1.) He wasn't tresspassing...he'd already filled his bow tag

2.) No I wasn't doing the same  because I was 300ft from my house...       NY law states thats IT IS UNLAWFUL TO DISCHARGE ANY WEAPON WITH IN 500ft OF AN OCCUPIED DWELLING OR LIVESTOCK HOUSING WITHOUT PERMISSOIN OF OWNER
3.) These same guys shoot after and before seasons legal light and I have caught them in the dark wondering around the woods looking for a wounded deer they (I heard the shot) after legal light...I stopped them just before they crossed the line and then helped them track the deer through property I control but when we got to guys land down the hill..... said they had to go get permission and they gave up the trail..ya... I'm un sports man...then they were lost so I got them to the road and stopped at house and drove them to their camp...So I'm not a pain in the A$$....but I'm not any ones mud room rug either.....these guys lease the land they hunt and don't seem to thing Vermonters need to go by NY law
4.) I do hunt my property line ....and have gone to those property owners that I border on those stands and asked permision FIRST...I also explained it was for wind purposes and because I prefer to not shoot towards their land in gun season or bow for that matter and have no intention of shooting unless the animal crosses my line....I've had to watch a few real nice bucks walk by me.... but thats who I am....Treat ppl with respect and you get the same ...if you try to be a bully.....well I'll use every legal means possible to cut ya off at the knees...all my posted signs have my cell # on them...if you need to track ...call ...I'll help you track ...gut and drag....no call and I'll arrest  and you could be my relative and the same rule applys.....

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:24 am

well thanks for the clarification on the 500 ft rule didnt fully understand, thats cool.

Now what in the world are you doing helping sombody track a deer thay you know they killed illegally why didnt you call the dnr or local lawenforcment and get them arrested seems weird that you are so against poachers from reading some of your other post that you would help them track a illegally taken deer...

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:39 am

Recovering a wounded deer and making sure these guys weren't out there not only tracking but checking out "Possible hunting spots" was more important at the time...also gave me a chance to fully inform them Of what I can and can't see and that my dogs informed me of their presence in the woods and when I found them I had gone in in the dark with out a flash light on...turned light on them after I had stood listening to their conversation...scared the crap out of them....DEC will not do anything unless you can tell them WHO do the shooting and I didn't know which one shot the deer...none of them would say...they now know I can manuever my woods and lands I look out for in total darkness and without a sound so sneaking around isn't an option....I have over 2 miles of trails that I keep clean at all times on my 50 and another 25 behind me...I also use climbers so they never know where to look...I  made my point...I also informed them I knew that it was shot after legal light as was a deer that they had shot during bow season because I had heard the release as I was leaving my woods for the evening....deer had kept me in my stand late...and that they were going to get caught hunting illegal

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:27 am

You did the right thing msbadger !
I used to hunt the woods on the Northern part of my sister in laws property . It's hard to get back there after a rainy seasonas the thick area on the way gets difficult to walk through . It will suck the boots off your feet .
Anyway , we used to get get folks walking through during gun season -- tresspassing -- and I would call to them . Seems like either they were looking for someone's pproperty or trailing a shot deer . Any kind of BS story for an excuse .......... I would tell them how far to the fence line and which direction to go . Sometimes these tresspassers will kick deer out to you .

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:37 am

I guess if the hunter owns or has permission to hunt the property, they can put a stand on that property anywhere they please. That works both ways of course, but if someone is already hunting a area, I see no use in setting up 50-100 yards from them. I like to have aleast a little personal-safety space between me and other hunters.  I actually own land past my fence line, so if I put a stand in a tree on the fence line ther isn't much another hunter can do about me hunting "my own" fence line. Getting along with other land-owners is a good deal, but sometimes it doesn't happen. However, I would think if someone wounded a deer, then it ran through your property, they better have atleast respected you on a personal level. Otherwise, (atleast in my state) you might get to legaly tag thier deer! I agree with Mrs. Badger's good advice, a simple phone call is all it takes to be respectful when tracking wounded deer onto anothers land.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

passin through

Postby passin through » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:00 pm

Well as an update...Sunday evening I went in and put out some pears at a ground blind I have about 75yds from where this guy is tresspassing on me...just to see what I had cooking there as it was a reliable opening week camp meat spot  (or doe hole if you prefer[:D])  I went by there this evening and there were tracks coming out of there where he had the stand  but I did not have a chance to run in there and check it.  I did cut across my pasture and pulled my card out of curiosity to see which fat doe was looking to be sausage in 14 days.  Wouldn't ya know it ...Bachelor Group....bad camera set up ....but any where from 4 to 6 six point or better bucks....two that look Pope'ish.   Which means I'll be hunting there with a shotgun or muzzleloader if bow doesn't work out.  And if that guy is not going to move more than a couple feet to get off my property he is at the 11 0'clock of my front window ....there is a low hill and a extremely thick pine thicket between us...but still...I really hope he moves that stand further back into his property...I know I'll be safe and not shoot him but him I don't know about and people get stoopid around bucks

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:29 am

I'd make sure you have blaze orange on the outside of your blind. I've heard of making massive mock scrapes in other areas to provoke another hunter to relocate thier hunting site. I'd make sure I was the first person out to the hunting site every day hunted. Maybe he will kick a deer to you that way.  Those bucks on your cam probley aren't going to be hanging around the area long with all that intrusion, so I'd focus on doe's. Pressure the opposing hunter with multiable quick deer kills, and he may look for greener pastures.[;)]  
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Eight_Oak_Acres

Postby Eight_Oak_Acres » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:29 am

Although I don't like it, I don't think it is my place to tell someone they can't hunt on their property line just because it borders mine. I would have an issue however if they were actually shooting on my property from it. I had a really interesting situation last season, where my neighbor put a stand up in a tree on the fence line between our properties. Here is the kicker. The tree trunk (base) is on my side of the fence but the tree angles a bit so that the rest of it is on his side. So his ladder stick and stand are on his side of the fence in a tree that starts on my side. I was about to let that slide until i saw he had trimmed limbs in trees on my side to get shot opportunities. We then had a conversation, and he took the stand down. I just asked him how he would feel if the shoe was on the other foot...and he decided he wouldn't like it. :)

-Eric

passin through

Postby passin through » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:45 pm

Well he moved his feeder off my property...from what I can tell its totally gone from the area.  His stand is still 30 ft inside me based on a compass and deadreckoning.....oh well.   I guess I'll wait till the survey crew remarks my line and if he's still inside me I'll just slide a hay fork under his stand and set him down again 30 on the other side.  All my buddies want to trash the stand now but I don't want to start a war this early on.  ( way too much drama last year on the hunting club with other things--- I want a peaceful year)  Dad says Granddad sledgehammered a few stands in the same area 20 years ago so I guess that spots just got a target on it.  I really hate the give an inch take a mile principle......

allthingshunting

Postby allthingshunting » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:44 am

not that it matters because he moved it,  but if the tree's base is more than 50% on your property, for the purposes of logging it is your property.  I assume this would mean while standing, you still own the tree as well.  interesting though to say the least.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions