People Hunting the Property Line

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
pilsung

RE: People Hunting the Property Line

Postby pilsung » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:24 am

Hello everyone,
 I am new to this forum and as I was looking through this topic caught my eye.
 My wife and I recently purchased several acres for the purpose of deer hunting. Our first season we met the neighbor kids pet dog as it came chasing a deer right past our blind. Talked to the neighbor, explained the situation, no success. Second time the dog came through I called it back, took it to our truck, sqirted a packet of ketchup on the back of the dogs head, put a note on it's collar that said"Thank you master for letting me run, next time this could be real blood. Deer hunters do not appreciate a friendly dog running the woods."
 Next day the neighbor flagged me down, apologized and said he did not deer hunt but now understood. We haven't seen the dog since.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:17 pm

You have to be carful when threatening to kill sombodys dog for chasing a deer. I know in wis hunters are not allowed to kill a dog that is chasing a deer. dogs are considered private property and only a conservation warden can kill the dog that is chasing. The dog owner is held responsible for any damages the dog does.

So I know it may piss you off and screw up your hunt for the night dont shoot no sense in getting yourself into trouble..

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:29 pm

I have dog problems on my property.

It really stinks to spend money you don't really have on land payments, gas, plot seed, etc. Not to mention spending every spare minute grooming the property and hunting it. Only to have some careless dog owner allow it to be ruined.

Unfortunately, shooting the dogs would make things even worse in the long run. Facing the Sheriff or the retaliation that would come as soon as I pull out, would be worse.

[:@]

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:08 pm

Definately too many bad things can come from shooting dogs, as hard as it is most of the time you gotta let'em go. 

One thing to keep in mind, if you have cows, sheep, pigs or any other livestock on the property your hunting "they were harrassing the livestock" at least that's what the local dog warden told me, several dogs ago.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

bigdeer

Postby bigdeer » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:55 am

"Stands that sit right on your property line and you know if they get the chance they'll pull a shot across you?"
Not all of us will.
Yes, I would like to some time but I don't
I do sit on fence line. Do to small properties
You can sit on fence line to.
I would have taken down the feeder to if he did not.
Is the fence line mark. I have been told to hunt to the fence line
Never did found the fence. 5yr went by I put my hand on a tree and found a 3in. or 4in. fence. That was the fence line that I could find (50yd.)
You could work together and put food plots on both side of property
Work as a team

Tracking a deer on property comes down to neighbors being good neighbors.
It could happen to both of you, deer could cross both side of the fence line
You my need to get a deer from his side one day
[font="times new roman"]Don't let a deer die for nothing[/font][/b]
[font="times new roman"][/font][/b] 
[font="times new roman"][/font][/b] 

wildfire

Postby wildfire » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:48 pm

I need some input: I live out of state, and only have a few weeks a year to hunt my family property. My parents still live there, and have spent a lot of time and effort planting trees and food plots, posting the property, and generally maintaining a presence. On the opening day of rifle season, I was invited to hunt part of the property, which shares a pasture with a neighboring tract. After climbing into my stand and sitting there for less than five minutes, I was greeted by the sight of a hunter and his son setting up 5 yards on the other side of the property line, facing into our property. They left at dusk, after spooking at least five deer (on our land) that were on their way into the food plot (also on our land). While they did not technically break any laws, they were definitely setting a prime example of extremely sorry manners. We called the landowner, who told us that the hunter and his son did have permission to be there, but had been advised that we hunt the pasture as well, and that the area is posted. While no laws have technically been broken, the guy was obviously intending to put rounds across the property line. Does anyone have any suggestions? My only thought is that if they try it again to make it obvious that someone is on our side of the fence and that we know what they're doing. Any input would be greatly appreciated.  

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:43 pm

It`s not my responsibility to grab a free roaming dog and take it back to it`s owner. If a dog is tresspassing, and especially if it`s running deer, sad to say, it`s fair game regardless of whatever the "law" may say. Even domestic dogs run in packs and can, and have, in Indiana, mauled people to death.

I don`t like it, I`m not proud of it, but the simple fact is, dogs in the deer woods when I`m on stand, don`t go home. It stinks, but it`s the way it is.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:48 pm

Im not sure where i stand on the issue of dogs running deer as i have not had that problem.

I have 2 labs of my own and would never let them roam as they pleased. However if one did happen to run away or some how end up in the woods and someone shot them i would probably end up in jail.

Is it right to let your dog roam the woods? NO. Is it right to shoot someones dog for doing so? NO.

Not sure there is a solution to the problem besides talking with the owner and making it clear that their dog is not allowed to run on your property.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:15 am

I have  a friend that has over 100 acres of woods. No one asks him if they can hunt there, they assume [;)] that it's ok. His way of telling them no is...........he takes the stands down and puts them in his barn. Says he has  a nice collection of homemade and store boughten ones. Says no one comes up and asks for them back. As he smirks.
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:17 pm

ORIGINAL: schlupis

msbadger maybe you need to clarify was he trespassing on your property to get to the other property or was he on the other property.. Also if you are 30 yards from that persons property arnt you doing the same thing as he was trying to do. What makes it right for you and not him.. Like I said maybe I am reading your post wrong, but it sounds like you are giving this guy a hard time and sounds a little selfish you can do it but he cant..

Dont get me wrong if people are intetionally trying to screw up your hunt thats no good but as far as hunting property lines goes they are fair game as long as the people hunting them dont shoot onto the other persons property and if a deer is shot and runs onto your property they should as permission to get the deer from your property..

I would think the point here would be courtesy.....if you see a stand up, or you know the neighbor routinely hunts there, why would you ever be setting up there? That`s pretty rude and is intentionally disrupting someone`s hunt.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions