Tree stand hunting question

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
8uck5nort

RE: Tree stand hunting question

Postby 8uck5nort » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:36 pm

ORIGINAL: EatDeer

I totally agree jph, rushing the shot will make a bowhunters practice perfect shot, a perfect miss! I know all too well, I've missed my share!                                                                              Ugnasty; Shooting low at a deer's vitals also help's when they try to jump the string.                                                                                                                8uck5nort; So when your shooting from a higher angle, you shoot a little high to compensate for the greater angle? This way your arrow will pass through both lungs?  

That is the theory anyway.

Clip the top side of the entry lung and get a solid hit on the other. However, this year I have kept all my climbing stands under 20' right around 16 to 17 feet. I'm finding that too high is just as bad as too low when it comes to stand/climber height. There seems to be a "sweat spot" for me at least.
Both does I got this year wear still a little high on the entry side but solid on the exit. I guess old habits are hard to break. The two bucks I have missed this year were due to rushed shots from buck fever and not shot angle. Had I taken my time and calmed myself I'm sure I would have put a good hit on either. I'm still working on the "find your peace when you see horns on a deer I know I want to shoot" thing. Still learning.[:)]
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

AfterShock95

Postby AfterShock95 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:06 pm

I would agree the higher you are in a stand the stepper the shotting angle but. If you are just starting out deer hunting a range finder can be expensive if I was you I would aim more for the mid line of the deer a few inches behind the shoulder should put you right in the ball park and remember to practice practice and well practice and don't rush the shot when everything feels right to you and remember to follow threw on you shot you could be letting you bow down before the arrow clears the rest just a few things I could think of

paulie

Postby paulie » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:11 pm

Ok I did not read all the above posts so I may be repeating(if so, sorry). The best thing you can do is, practice from your stand, or your roof or deck, whatever it takes to simulate your hunting set up! Everyone can tell you where to aim when your elevated, but unless "you" do it yourself, you just dont know where your impact point will be. In other words, most archer's will have different results shooting from the same set up (height, distance). Unless "you" practice these shots, your not gonna know "where" to aim.

Ugnasty77

Postby Ugnasty77 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:03 pm

Thanks for the advise everybody, i think i can work on 2 things with my problem. I have practiced out of my stand before, and when i looked at the shots they seemed good to me. So i would have to say im rushing my shot (which is kind of what i expected to hear) and two i have never heard of bending at the waist, i just always lowered my arm and shot. thinking about it it makes sense, and i will give it a try from now on.  Again, thank you for the advise, i will try it all out.

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:47 am

The 1st cardinal rule.................bend at the waist. Works every time.
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

Previous

Return to General Discussions