fake deer sign

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
jonny5buck

fake deer sign

Postby jonny5buck » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:08 am

Anybody who hunts public land, knows how hard it can be.Your competing with usually a dozen or so guys, for prime spots.A few years ago i was checking a scrape by some decent rubs,when a hunter with a climber on his back approached me."looks can b decieving" he said with a smile.He pulled out a doe foot and told me how he made these fake rubs and scrape ,complete with actual deer footprint in it,to fool a buddy who was riding his coat-tails, trying to find his buck spot! My god i thought ,you put a lotta effort into this! I guess a buck might check it out, but i'll take my chances,keeping this guy away from my spot,he said,is more important! Has anybody else made fake deer sign in an effort to lure hunters away from your prime-spot??I think this might happen more often then we think.[:D]

DeanoZ

RE: fake deer sign

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:15 am

Funny you should mention this as I just posted some pics of some scrapes in the "Best Practices" forum about this subject.  I'll say this, if their fake someone did a damn good job!  Either way, the idea is to attract so lets hope it works for the both of us!  Best of luck!

passin through

Postby passin through » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:21 am

Well, inadvertently, I did as a payback for a practical joke.  I took a claw hammer and made 3 good rubs in sight of a buddies stand.  Awhile later --around the fire we were discussing and laughing about it and I fessed up to having done the deed and he made the comment that he had wondered who had been messing with him and made all those rubs....."all those rubs?"  I went back in there the next time I could sneak away and there were 10-15 rubs of my size or bigger within shooting distance of the stand.  I guess my fake rubs ticked off the dominant boy in there.  I have never seen anything else like it.  The "rub" of the matter though, was my buddy never went back in there because he would not believe we weren't messing with him.
As to scrapes my grandfather would do something like that with a garden rake and a dried calfs foot to mess with the boys "raised on concrete" as he called em'.  He taught us the clawhammer trick too.

RatherBeHuntin24/7

Postby RatherBeHuntin24/7 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:31 pm

round here theres really only two good public hunting lands and both get alot of pressure. im lucky enough to have some private lands to hunt but not all my buddies are so fortunate. theyre always tellin me about how they got screwed over or what they did to tick off another hunter. its crazy. best thing to do is get as far away from that mess as possible. one guy i work with takes his waders, goes thru some swamps and gets to the deer where no one else wants to go. its a hassle but you gota do what you gota do.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:31 pm

I have heard of guys that were checking out new hunting property and the sellers had made some rubs on some really large Cedar tree's to fool them into thinking there was some really nice/large Bucks there and to help in selling or leasing their property.I would be very mad if that would have happened to me. [:@]

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:20 am

had a guy in camp that would do that.me i like to make small ground blinds in spots to entice others to use them instead of walking further into "my spots"[:D]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:55 am

I've actually made fake rubs with an old antler to lure people away from my spot.  The funny part was, while I was rubbing the antler up and down a small sapling, I turned around and a small buck was ten yards away watching me do it!

OleFrozenToes

Postby OleFrozenToes » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:42 am

No one here collects deer dung to be used later? It adds the convincing touch!  

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:13 pm

Pretty damn smart joel. I would do something also to throw others off my trail. Especially on public land where many have no skills and rely on others to find the deer for them.
Venison - the other red meat

Return to General Discussions