How Many Here Butcher Their Own Deer?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
msbadger

RE: How Many Here Butcher Their Own Deer?

Postby msbadger » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:57 pm

Google  "butchering deer"....Gander Mnt has a good article with pics  that would help.

We've been doing ours for years ....lots of work but not hard...Mr. B and I take turns cutting up the deer ...but I'm home so do most and all jerk and sausages...........average 5-8 a year

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:08 am

i do all my own butchering. there are some good videos from larry metzer that will get you started.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:12 am

I guess I'm the odd one here.  I have butchered my own, but I have a three processors within 20 minutes of the farm.  One does it for $70-- $80 if I want sausage.  That's with me bringing it with the hide on. 

Although I don't mind butchering, I like having a processor do it, because it keeps the days open for hunting.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

deerhunter713

Postby deerhunter713 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:35 am

Dad and I butchered our deer from the time I was 8 to 18, then I started doing it on my own and have been for the last 25 years.  I've butchered somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 deer, and find a lot of satisfaction in doing it myself.  It is work, but I grew up knowing that this was part of hunting.

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:23 am

I bone my own deer immediately. I want that meat on ice ASAP!

Trimming and packaging can take up to a day or two given what I have going on.

I run the grind meat down to the local locker and he does that for me. I figure that while it is not cheaper than owning my own grinder, it is a lot easier to clean and store.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:59 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

I bone my own deer immediately. I want that meat on ice ASAP!

Trimming and packaging can take up to a day or two given what I have going on.

I run the grind meat down to the local locker and he does that for me. I figure that while it is not cheaper than owning my own grinder, it is a lot easier to clean and store.

You ought to look into geting yourself an electric grinder, I bought one from the Sportsman's Guide years ago that works great, and didn't cost a whole lot of money. The clean up is minor also.

There are many advantages to grinding your own scraps. First off, I bag all of my scraps in 3 to 5 pound bags (I vacuum seal EVERYTHING now, but that's a subject for another post).  I don't actually grind them until I am going to use the ground meat. If you freeze the scraps unground, the  meat will keep longer due to there not being much exposed surface area.

You can also custom grind the coarseness of the meat too, like if you wanted it for chili, as opposed to making ground meat jerky.

When you do it this way, you can also mix whatever you want with the meat at that time....with say pork for example.

It's really not that hard or difficult to do, and the results are worth it.

All I have to do is to think back to the time that I had scraps ground commercially, and when I opened a package there was some HAIR in it!!!   YUCK!!!!!!!

That sold me on doing my own right then and there!!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:06 am

ive been butchering my own venison for the last 10 years it saves major $ i dont do ground meet though,i do debone all of it
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:08 am

We usually butcher our own. It is cheaper and more importantly we not only get it just the way we want it, but the yield is significantly more.
Anyone who has not butchered on their own would be surprised what the processor will not get you.

Things like way more groundmeat and jerky are usually just not feasible with a processor unless they are one of the ones that are poviding those products and then the cost always takes the fun out of it for us.

For us, butchering is a tribal, family affair and part of the social aspect of deer hunting. Many hands,etc. My womenfolk to date do not participate in the gathering, but are adept at the processing and appreciative of the gift.

I have on occassion because of schedules or (pinch me) more than one down at a time(my wife forbids me to ever do that again) had to go to a processor who happens to be one of my neighbors. It was always done well and the way I asked. The last quote I got was 55 dollars with added fat. It takes some of the fun out of it for us though.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:21 am

I haven't the means to do it myself. I live in the city, in small confines, no garage and its pretty much hot year round.

Wen I do  my MI hunt I am usually there for 5-6 days which doesn't leave time to let it cure, and butcher. So I take it to a local butcher. His price just went up to $55 (and he keeps the hide). It's my best option.

I certainly would love to do it, but really for the money and time its not a bad gig for me.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:50 am

If it's cold enough i let the deer  hang for approx 5 days then i cut the meat off the bone. 
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions