How Many Here Butcher Their Own Deer?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
hunter480

RE: How Many Here Butcher Their Own Deer?

Postby hunter480 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:13 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

Very true, 480.

I would add this other point about the difference between beef and wild venison:

Wild venison has very little, if any, interstitial fat (marbling), just for the reasons you stated. Not only that, but the domestic livestock we eat has been genetically culled and bred to produce AS MUCH marbling as possible!

Now as you or any other hunter know's, many of the bucks we kill in November are VERY lean, as they have used up what fat reserves they had in the rut. But even the does will kill, with as much as an inch or more of pure FAT on their loins under the hide, STILL don't have any true marbling. I don't mean fat in between the muscle masses, but actual fat in the meat tisse itself. Most of the deer I've butchered have been from Illinois, and if they don't have it with the ultra-rich corn/beans/wheat diet they have, then no deer will.

I believe that this has a huge effect on the aging, and the risk that the meat might sour if the conditions aren't perfect. A butcher that I know who processed a lot of deer told me that because of the lack of fat factor, once a deer is cooled out properly, it takes a lot more to spoil it than a domestically raised and bred animal.

You wouldn`t even want that marbling in venison, since the fat has a rancid taste.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:16 am

You got that right!!!!! YUCK!!!

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:21 am

Woods and 480, we are closer on this than it first appeared.

While aging will affect all tissue, if done at a "warm" temp. (lets say mid-40's) the fat will break down faster than other tissues. IMO, the unsavory tase of deer fat will seep into tissues and lend a gamey taste.

I admit, that I do not know the actual temp, inside of my cooler. I only know that it is above freezing and more constant than in the outside air. I also know that it is cheaper than buying my own walk-in fridge.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:54 pm

I don't have access to a cooler so I have to look at the forecast and go from there . I live is a housing tract so I hang the deer in my garage . I never got into the aging process so I have nothing to compare it to .
As far as processors go , I have seen deer tagged and placed in a pile . That was a complete turnoff for me to have someone else process it . A lot of processors don't have a cooler either .
Years ago , I took my deer to a regular meat market . Sometimes it appeared I was getting shorted ( yeah , I know we feel there was more than there was ) But I had also gotten way more than I should have a couple times . This reinforced the feeling that I wasn't getting my own deer back . I don't want a deer that some guy has had in the back of his truck for a few days showing to his buddies sooooooo , I butcher my own !

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:27 am

Lookee what I found:

Aging Big Game.PDF

I still say that if you're going to freeze the meat and hold it for a few months, that does as much aging as you're going to need.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

VAHunter

Postby VAHunter » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:11 am

We've always butchered our own deer as well, and I really don't see it as all that time consuming now that we have got it down to about 2 hours.  Aside from the task itself, we find it a great time with our hunting pals.  Usually gives us an excuse to hang out a little bit longer on the day, and tell stories over a cold one.

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:54 am

Can someone point me to a document or how to properly butcher a whitetail deer?  I've always gutted my own, but I've been butchering my own for only few years now, but I want to make sure I'm making all the right cuts for the right stuff.  I could also still stand to learn a thing or two and especially some tips and tricks to the art of butchering a deer as well as saving time.  Thanks, I would appreciate a link or actual pdf if possible. 

Happy Hunting[:D]
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:27 am

Butchering Deer

Here's the book I got-- does a pretty good job of explaining things.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:08 pm

ORIGINAL: dmcianfa

Can someone point me to a document or how to properly butcher a whitetail deer?  I've always gutted my own, but I've been butchering my own for only few years now, but I want to make sure I'm making all the right cuts for the right stuff.  I could also still stand to learn a thing or two and especially some tips and tricks to the art of butchering a deer as well as saving time.  Thanks, I would appreciate a link or actual pdf if possible. 

Happy Hunting[:D]

As you cut more deer up, you will begin to realize that there really are no "right cuts".  These are deer, not cattle, and they do not have to be cut just so, so that shoppers can ask for a "such and such" cut.

I have evolved over the years with my cutting, to making cuts that are of a size for 3 people, because that's how many we have in our family. I also do a few "deer camp" cuts, that are larger, for when I have to feed the "troops".

The only real "right" cut, is to make sure that if you are wanting steaks, then you always want to cut ACROSS the grain of the meat, and not with it.

I bone everything. I start with the tenderloins inside the body cavity. The come out in two whole strips, and if not eaten immediately, there are frozen whole.

The backstraps are also done this way, and then are cut into pieces that are enough for 3 people, and then frozen whole.

I prefer to freeze them whole, because they don't dry out as fast, and you can make the decision to either make them into steaks, or a roast when you cook them.

The hinquarters are also boned, and then made into roasts and into round steaks. If I want stew meat, then I will thaw out round steak and then cut it into cubes when I cook it. Same for strip cuts for stir fry or fajitas (I'm beginng to drool!) All my hindquarter roasts are are really think round steaks, cut across the grain.

All other parts of the deer are cut into scrap (except for certain parts of the front legs that are meaty and not too sinewy, which I make into roasts. They ain't pretty, but if you cook them in a crock pot all day long with moisture, the meat will literally fall apart when you put some on your plate.)

I package the scrap into 5lb. bags, and then freeze. I will grind the scrap as I need it, because it stays fresher that way, and I can choose the kind of grind I want when I cook it. I like making chopped and formed jerky with the scrap, and thats where a lot of it goes.

The beauty of doing your own butchering, is that you can get your meat done exactly how YOU want it.

It's realy not hard to do at all, just a bit time consuming. E-mail/PM me if you have any more questions.

Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:49 pm

We'll cut our own deer up about 50% of the time.  It's good bonding time for me and the old man, plus like what has been said, you know it's your deer and you can cut it the way you want.  Not much to it...Also like what was said, this isn't like you're cutting up a cow, etc, and putting it in a grocery store.  Meat is meat...!! :D

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions