DECOYS!

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
buckhunter21

DECOYS!

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:26 am

I'm sure there is another thread on here about this subject but wanted to see what all you guys think of them...The good, the bad, and the ugly?!  I'm thinking of getting one here in the next few days and was also wondering what kind you would suggest?

Thanks!

Demoderby4

RE: DECOYS!

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:52 am

I have never used one but i too want to get one, i wanna try putting it out putting some estrous or dominant buck urine on it during the rut and see it it attracts any deer when they see it. Good luck with yours! Let us know how it goes!

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:42 am

I've used my 3D deer targets before, and they do work. 

If I were to purchase an actual decoy, portability would be a number one consideration.  The reason I don't use decoys often now is that they are a "pain" to get to my stand.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:03 pm

I have a feather flex... I have used it a few times, the deer look right at it and allows me for a good shot most of the time.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:06 pm

I use my 3D target as a decoy, but like ranwin33 said, it is a major pain to carry long distances.  It does work, however.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:33 pm

Yea, I thought about using my 3D target but yes like you all say, it's a pain to bring it out to the stand.  I've looked into the Montana decoy but it almost seems too flimsy and not very life-like.  There is one I saw at Gander Mountain it was called 'Bobbin..something.'  Two hundred bones...Not quite what I want to spend for just wanting to try one out. 

Jawbone

Postby Jawbone » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:39 pm

Ive used the flambeaue ready doe decoy for a few years now and have shot a handful of bucks with it but it does get heavy and it is real noisy if you bang into it when your walking.  I mostly use it in the ams when I can leave early, take my time and go slow and quiet.  It is alot of fun watching how deer react to it and it offers the perfect distraction to get your bow back.  Ive read about putting a larger buck decoy out with the doe to spice things up but whos gonna carry all that.  Plus they're too expensive!!!   Good Luck!!!  

RNC

Postby RNC » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:01 am

Its been a couple of years since I have used mine but they do work. Does seem to be alot more skitish around them but bucks are curious about them. If its that magic rut time decoys can be absolutely deadly on bucks. If they see a doe decoy they truly think they are going to get some lovin. The first nice 8pt I took with my bow was all because of a doe decoy. Long story short with the buck 15 to 20 yards away in some think cover showing off for my decoy I knocked my arrow out of the bow and all the way to the ground. That buck never noticed. I was able to get another arrow in the bow and shoot the buck as it circled out of the thick stuff and came towards the doe. He was never more then 25 yards out as this all happened. If you got a buck decoy out and a buck approaches a couple of things could happen. If the decoys antlers are the same size or smaller then the real buck there is a good chance of your decoy getting attacked. This is because the real deer will do everything it can to intimidate your decoy and of course it wont back down. If the decoys antlers are bigger then the real nuck that buck will still check out the decoy but will show submissive behaviors.

Keep in mind that this is all just in general, with a real deer there is no 100% way of knowing what will happen.  A couple of things to do when using a decoy to help fool that old buck. First make sure its set up in a place where the deer can see it easily. When using a doe decoy set it facing directly away from you, a  buck will generally circle a doe to scent check her to see if she is in heat. When using a buck set it up so it faces you, a buck will try to approach it head on so it can try to intimidate / challange it. Finally add some movement to it, find some lightweight material that is white and cut it in the shape of a tail. then pin the tail to the decoy and allow the wind to move the tail for you. You can do the same thing for the ears but the tail is usally enough. 
Of course this is hard. It's supposed to be hard, thats what makes it great. If it was easy everyone would do it!

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:26 pm

I use the Flambeau Doe Decoy also and I like it a lot,it can be a little noisy like Jawbone mentioned but I think it is light weight and easy to carry if you use some straps to put around it or do like I did and wrap some camo material around it so it is covered up when carrying to and from my stand.You can also buy the antler kit for it and make it into a decent sized 8-Point Buck.Our local Farm and Hardware Store has it listed for around $109.00 I believe?

I wouldn't put any scent onto the decoy because a Buck would probably tear it up or break if if he tried to mount it,and when it comes time for you to store it by your stand you don't want another Deer to find it and mess with it when your not there.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:41 pm

What do you guys think of the Carry-Lite decoy?  They have the normal one and then they have the one with the bobbing head.  Looking at a price from $100-$200 bones respectively.

Next

Return to General Discussions